• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Order of Ext Tubes/TCs for macro (1 Viewer)

Tim Taylor

work in progress
I'm having a lot of fun playing with macro at the moment and wondered if anyone had any advice on stacking order for TCs and extension tubes. At present I'm playing with the 30D followed by from the camera outwards a Canon 1.4xTC, 4 extension tubes to approx 86mm and the Sigma 150mm. Doeas it make any difference where the TC is put?

Thanks

Tim

PS with this kit I can't fit a complete ant in the frame.. :-O:-O

Now thats a lot of tubes! I believe that if you have the 1.4x by the camera you will be magnifying the total focal length of the lens and tubes, whereas putting it between the lens and tubes would only magnify the lens' focal length, then the tubes' wuld be 'added'....but I have never tried it out...

Thanks Mark, that makes sense. It's quite a laugh playing with this monstrous macro lens but not easy to hold it still even with a monopod. Add on the flash bracket, flash and diffuser and it gets quite hairy!

Sounds interesting.
I've got the sigma 150 but the canon 1.4 TC doesn't seem to want to fit the lens and my extension tubes will only fit between the TC and the body. I don't want to force the TC on to the lens.
Does it fit?

Hi Gordon

I have one odd extension tube that has a round hole that accepts the protruding part of the Canon 1.4x TC. My Jessops extension tube set has rectangular openings and they won't fit onto the TC because of that. You will need an extension tube with a round hole that will fit onto the Canon TC before you can start to join things together. Alternatively I believe that some other TCs don't have the protruding lens element. There's a bit about TCs and stacking here.

Hope that helps.

Tim

I regularly use my Canon 100 macro with a Kenko pro 1.4 tc but never tried with Ext. tubes as well, might give it a go today if I have time. As I have a couple of tc's I might try stacking 2 tc's and the ext. tubes 8-P

I regularly use my Canon 100 macro with a Kenko pro 1.4 tc but never tried with Ext. tubes as well, might give it a go today if I have time. As I have a couple of tc's I might try stacking 2 tc's and the ext. tubes 8-P

LOL, go for it Roy and let's see the results. :eek!: :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back