• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta 7x42... done (1 Viewer)

oleaf

Well my search for bins is over.

Found a pair of Meopta 7x42 and they are very, very nice. Since last year I've been looking for a wide FOV, relaxed view, quality bin.

FOV – wide and sharp to the edges. Very comfortable view

Eye relief – 20mm maybe slightly more. I have glasses so this was important.

Diopter – center non-locking with indents. Yes... it's moved a few times. It's located out of the way of where your finger should fall on the focuser. When it moves... I move it back ;)

Focus speed – compared to new EL 8.5... tiny bit faster (not much)

7x - Not much different than the 8. The 6mm exit makes it easy to look around. I thought the 7's were wider than the 8x model... but not so. Oh well... maybe they are brighter!

Color – slight warm yellow. Very slight but I notice it. But... on overcast days it does boost brightness a little. In daylight can't see the warm cast.

Handling – these are very nice ergonomically. Deep thumb indents. Very comfortable. I was worried about the 30 oz. But, not a problem.

Size – shorter than you would think. Size is perfect.

Went birding with a buddy and compared his EL 8.5's. Too close to call.

To anyone looking for a Trinovid / Nikon LXL / EL / SLC / I would suggest taking a look at this brand. At half the cost of a new EL... it can't hurt!

Cheers

Attachments

• meopta1.jpg
    meopta1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 354
  • Meopta2.jpg
    Meopta2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 353
  • meopta3.jpg
    meopta3.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Actually, I bought a sales demo model (so they are used and got a very good deal) as I couldn't afford retail. But I've seen them advertised at $799 for 8x at various online dealers. This is half the EL price (and 98 to 100% performance). I would consider that a very good deal.

Just yesterday I got a chance to look through the 8x. At the same FOV... I wish I had 8x.

But, I'm not complaining. I love these 7x!

Try to find a pair to use. They will impress!

Cheers

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back