• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dowles Brook, Wyre Forest (1 Viewer)

Thanks Phil,
Couldn't see any mark on the bill but I know that's not a definitive ID characteristic so it will have to be a maybe.
To be honest I thought the reported Sandwell RSPB tit showing on the feeders was a Marsh but most birders reporting it as a Willow , think I'll just give up with these two

Just to put Willow Tit in a county context, the WMBC annual report for 2012 which has just dropped through my letter box has only one accepted record for Worcs that year.

of note this morning along dowles brook:

dipper singing - three pairs in total, all showing well

song thrush repeating an odd phrase over and over before continuing with typical song

five goosander (2m+3f) and a pair of mandarin on the severn, just downstream from where the brook joins

jon

A very warm and sunny visit to the Wyre Forest today, no Pied Flycathers seen, but reported. 2 Wood Warblers, many Chiff Chaffs & Willow Warblers, Grey Wagtail, Goldcrest, Swallow!, and Goshawk over.
Alive with Brimstones, Peacocks, Orange Tips, & all 3 Whites, and 1 Speckled Wood, No sign of any Frits yet, a bit too early. All in all a pleasant day out.

Dick

Are there no Redstarts and Tree Pipits there. I haven't seen any reported and I was hoping to drive over to there to see them this weekend.

John

John
We didn`t see (or hear) any Redstars or Tree Pipits yesterday, and none were reported by other Birders.
That does not mean they wont be there. Good hunting.
Dick

Thanks Dick

To be honest if they are there I would have thought they would be heard. Both species are quite vocal in the areas they go to, especially the Tree Pipits. They can be heard quite clearly from the path from Dry Mill Lane car park.

John

Several birders at Upton Warren's grebe twitch today reported both Tree Pipit and Redstart present, plus 3 Pied Fly in the Knowles Coppice / Lodge Hill Farm orchard area. Forgot to ask about Wood Warbler

Edit: WorcesterBirding reported 6 Pied Fly and 3 Wood Warbler for today

Last edited:
Pied Flycatcher (male) at the entrance to Knowles Coppice this evening, around 7.30pm. Showing OK, first one of the year for me at the Wyre :)

Highlights of a late morning walk around Dowles Brook were Wood Warbler, Willow Warbler, Garden Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Goldcrest, Kingfisher, Nuthatch, Buzzard and Grey Heron.

Chris

birds from worcestershire side dowles brook 41 species including 4 pied flycatchers,tree pipits,4 wood warblers, garden warbler,fly over goshawk,2 sparrowhawks, cuckoo calling , got close but didn't see it ,dipper and 5 grey wags. By the large firs a pair of redstarts. butterflies included orange tips, peacocks, speckled wood.Great day beautiful weather.

Could anyone please inform me as to where the best places are the see Pied Flycatchers, Redstarts and Tree Pipits around the Dowles Brook area as they have always eluded me.

Many Thanks
Chris

the area above the farm and orchard so if you park at dry mill lane car park ,room for 10 cars ,then walk along the old railway track ,10mins go up onto the bridge through small orchard the path left and right and straight ahead right redstarts , left pied flies lesser peckers straight ahead tree pipits pied flies garden warblers . lots of luck Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back