• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

India Warbler ID-4 ... ? (1 Viewer)

aloktewari

Opus Editor
Supporter
India
Location : Ranikhet, Dist. Almora, Kumaon division, Uttarakhand Himalayas, Alt. 6500 ft., India.

Habitat : Resort Garden at the Forest-edge

Date : 20.11.2019 ; 9.11.33 & 9.11.38 am

No color manipulation or photo-shopping ; only cropping and minimal sharpening has been done.

Attachments

• DSCN5330 (2).JPG
    DSCN5330 (2).JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN5331 (2).JPG
    DSCN5331 (2).JPG
    324.2 KB · Views: 46
Thank you for a clear opinion on the quality of images, LOL ... and not so clear on the species ...
Personally, I too, considered, Blyth's ...
Thank you, Deb and Carery ...
Best regards,
Alok.

Awful pics but clearly one of the Pallas's complex, certainly not a Blyth's on account of structure e.g small bill and 'hooked' rear eyestripe so Lemon-Jumped Warbler in all likelihood.

Grahame

Last edited:

I don't think so. These look like Blyth's to me.

Compared to Lemon-rumped, note that the bill on these birds is longer and paler (especially on the lower mandible), the dark eyestripe doesn't form a 'hook' on the rear of the ear coverts, the central crown stripe does not extend towards the bill (mostly on the rear crown) and the bird is overall slightly less compact (longer tail, less 'bull-necked'). Also, the greater coverts and secondaries lack dark bases and the tertials seem to lack pale fringes.

Lemon-rumped for comparison: http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_Image_ID=172023&Bird_ID=1835&Bird_Family_ID=&Location=

These features are not all visible on bird in the original post, of course, so can't all be used for that ID.

I don't think so. These look like Blyth's

Yes I thought so too which is why I posted these links (which I had used as reference in a follow up post which I subsequently deleted having lost confidence! ) - So then my difficulty is that I am not seeing the features eg as shown in your link of L-rumped as it relates to the OP as being much more obvious than some of the features shown in the BL link. I ca’nt see the end or shape of the bill as it seems to be obscured by vegetation/just lost in artefact- I do see an eyestsripe hooking over the ear coverts in both the BL links I was looking at and the OP, (but not incidentally in the link of the L-r above) I cant see a narrow contrasting median crown stripe extending to the crown but do see rather a less contrasting wider diffuse area of paler colour in that area - as in BL. I can’t see the structure (tail length/bill length/neck shape) or bare parts clearly enough in the image to be helpful to me either.

All of these were my brief and very subjective impressions aired as my first post on this thread of what I thought maybe can be seen and very tentatively suggested Blyth’s (on my small tablet screen!)from a really awful photo (sorry to the OP!) - All in all, there is no disagreement from me with what features we should be needing to look at (thank goodness as I was beginning to doubt myself!) for either species -

I can only genuinely admire how much surety about ID some folks can have from looking at what to me are such inconclusive and artefact laden images!

Thank you all for for a wonderful discussion and effort to solve these 'awful' images ...
Best regards,
Alok.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back