• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In lockdown - trying to buy bins (1 Viewer)

evesonjj

Hi everyone,

As lockdown has given me a chance to really focus on what is important to me, I've become more and more reliant on birding and being outside in nature. With that in mind, I've decided to buy a pair of alphas - after always thinking they were too much I have now decided to prioritise!

Problem is, the stores selling them won't let me try them out! Covid-y reasoning behind holding products up to your face - which I can understand)

So, skipping over the obvious "go to the shop and try them out" advice which is both absolutely correct and absolutely impossible at the moment, is there any advice anyone can give me between the top three? By which I mean, Zeiss SF Victory, Swarovski EL and Leica Noctovids (all the 8x42 size - I'm sure of that)

I've owned Zeiss conquest HDs before and loved them, so if the SFs are similar in terms of handling then that would be a massive tick for the SFs. I also currently use Leica trinovid 8x32s, which, while great bins, I find a little hard to focus with - plus I notice CA when using them in the mornings - which I didn't with the conquest HDs. I've never used Swaros before, but know of them by reputation.

They are all within budget, so no bother with that as a factor.

My absolute top priorities are

No CA
Excellent in low light (dawn/dusk)
Comfortable to hold
Quick focus
Wide, immersive FOV

I appreciate I may be asking an impossible question, but if there's a group of people to ask it to, it's you guys!

All the best,
Joe

Hi Joe, I think the Noctivids exhibit more CA than the others, so while great in their own way best to stay clear. Of the other two the SF has the wider immersive FOV and it has a really nice focusser. I find the ELs more comfy to hold, but many prefer the balance and and extended recommended holding position of the SFs. I've had both, but only have the ELs now, but for you it sounds the SFs meet your criteria better, so I'd recommend them.

I had this same problem. I work a demanding job where I rarely have free time. Now with this extra time, I decided that it was appropriate to spurge.

I bought the Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 for precisely your reasons. I have no regrets. I like to get up early and bird before the work day begins and go after I am finished. I think you should consider the 10s, in my opinion the extra magnification is worth the reduction in FOV. I don't think I have yet missed a bird due to the increased magnification. Plus, the extra visible details are really nice.

However, Swaro seems to be updating their product line, so maybe you can snag at a discount.

Look at the ELs....they are getting a nice markdown across the board now...look at Sports Optics ....

Check again with your local optics store.
My nearest (25 miles) is a small independent.
If anyone needed to go they could book an appointment to visit (apparently it’s very simple)
Social distancing and cleanliness rules would apply and they might have to wear a mask/face covering but they could definitely go and compare the top brands.

Hi Joe, I think the Noctivids exhibit more CA than the others, so while great in their own way best to stay clear. Of the other two the SF has the wider immersive FOV and it has a really nice focusser. I find the ELs more comfy to hold, but many prefer the balance and and extended recommended holding position of the SFs. I've had both, but only have the ELs now, but for you it sounds the SFs meet your criteria better, so I'd recommend them.

Agreed. I've owned all three in 8 and 10, with the exception of Noctivid 10x. I've enjoyed them all for different reasons and with their different strengths, but your list of priorities point strongly toward the SF 8x42. However so much depends on how they feel and look for you, I don't consider the SF to handle like the Conquest.

As mentioned there's the newly released Swarovski NL, which will undoubtedly be good but are still an unknown.

My absolute top priorities are

No CA
Excellent in low light (dawn/dusk)
Comfortable to hold
Quick focus
Wide, immersive FOV

Given your priorities, I think you should try the Zeiss SF first.

It has the widest FOV of the three, the best CA control, and Zeiss coatings have the highest transmission in the center of the visible spectrum (500-550nm) which is optimized for low light brightness. That said, the difference in "brightness" between all three of these is really splitting hairs, and IMO the difference in color balance is more significant than ~2% difference in peak transmission. But since you enjoyed the Conquest HD, no reason to think you'll be put off by the Zeiss color balance with the SF.

And while the SF are the longest of the three, they are also the lightest and are highly praised for excellent balance and ergonomics.

Does it really, really, make any difference?
They are all good, very good, and you will probably be happy with either.
Pick one, order from a store with reasonable return policy-just in case.
The older model Els have best value with clearance,
that new NL looks very cool

pick, use, be happy
edj

Last edited:
Only ever tried once in shop, all my others were bought online, some based on reviews. Very happy with most of them. Go for one that has the least issues that people have found (eg glasses wearers). For wide and immersive the new Zeiss and Swaro would seem the best options on that front. Sometimes you can have too much choice.

Peter

Welcome to Birdforum!

The Swarovski EL SV 8.5x42 has dropped to £1520 in anticipation of the new NL coming out, that's an outstanding value. Keep in mind Swarovski has simplified the EL SV focuser design to reduce cost, at the expense of increasing the minimum focusing distance from 1.5m to 3.3m, so if that's the model you want to get, you'd better order now to get old-new stock.

If you can wait, I'd go with the Swarovski NL (in fact I have it on order to replace my EL SV 8.5x42).

Until the NL comes out, it's a battle between the Zeiss SF and the Swarovski EL. The Leica Noctivid is outclassed IMO. The Zeiss has better ergonomics, a wider field of view. The Swarovski is sharper edge to edge, and has better service and warranty. The new NL coming out in September has even wider field of view, and will probably have the EL's edge to edge sharpness.

One other model to consider is the upcoming Zeiss Victory SF 8x32, which has even wider FOV than the 8x42 SF, and is obviously lighter. The Nikon EDG 8x42 has superlative optics, but Nikon is retreating from the high end and has spotty service, and it's semi-discontinued.

Welcome to Birdforum!

The Swarovski EL SV 8.5x42 has dropped to £1520 in anticipation of the new NL coming out, that's an outstanding value. Keep in mind Swarovski has simplified the EL SV focuser design to reduce cost, at the expense of increasing the minimum focusing distance from 1.5m to 3.3m, so if that's the model you want to get, you'd better order now to get old-new stock.

If you can wait, I'd go with the Swarovski NL (in fact I have it on order to replace my EL SV 8.5x42).

Until the NL comes out, it's a battle between the Zeiss SF and the Swarovski EL. The Leica Noctivid is outclassed IMO. The Zeiss has better ergonomics, a wider field of view. The Swarovski is sharper edge to edge, and has better service and warranty. The new NL coming out in September has even wider field of view, and will probably have the EL's edge to edge sharpness.

One other model to consider is the upcoming Zeiss Victory SF 8x32, which has even wider FOV than the 8x42 SF, and is obviously lighter. The Nikon EDG 8x42 has superlative optics, but Nikon is retreating from the high end and has spotty service, and it's semi-discontinued.

Would you mind elaborating why you think the Noctivid is outclassed? I'm genuinely curious.

The Noctivid is not out-classed, some folks can't handle the weight or just don't like Leica.

It provides me some great views and is a great glass for dusk.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back