• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby Grebes and Little Grebes (1 Viewer)

Neil Grubb

Duddingston Loch, Edinburgh, is host to a family of Great Crested Grebe - the first sighting of the chicks was around Thursday of last week, seen by my brother. We went to see if we could get some photos today. My brother and I were surprised how close in the grebes came to the bank, considering it's a fairly busy public park. This gave a very good photo opportunity. The grebe chicks were buzzing around confidently, often hitching a lift on the adults' backs. A fantastic sight! Also seen were Little Grebe fishing.

Back home I had great views of the local young buzzard, in Roslin Glen. There isn't room to include these but a link to pics of this bird is: http://www.geocities.com/roslin_nature/SPbuzzard.html

Attachments

• LittleGrebeDudd05_01.jpg
    LittleGrebeDudd05_01.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 127
  • LittleGrebeDudd05_02.jpg
    LittleGrebeDudd05_02.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 116
  • DuddGCG05_04.jpg
    DuddGCG05_04.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 151
  • DuddGCG05_02.jpg
    DuddGCG05_02.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 163
  • DuddGCG05_03.jpg
    DuddGCG05_03.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 145
Neil,
Great shots of a really interesting family! Last week we saw our first Eared Grebes and they were carrying young on their backs as in your photo. Fantastic.

Super photos, do you reckon they're still there? Off work for a couple of days so could pop down there to have a peek.
( Is the white thing in the background in photo 3 a swan feather? )
On the subject of the buzzards, how many youngsters have you got there this year,
do you think?
Bluetit

bluetit said:
Super photos, do you reckon they're still there? Off work for a couple of days so could pop down there to have a peek.
( Is the white thing in the background in photo 3 a swan feather? )
On the subject of the buzzards, how many youngsters have you got there this year,
do you think?
Bluetit

The GCG's have been at Duddingston for a long time. As the chicks are just over a week old they won't be going anywhere fast. Neil and I also saw a kingfisher from Hangman's rock at the east end of the loch (as did others) so this is worth a look too

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back