• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lynx: Birds of Thailand, Birds of Vietnam (1 Viewer)

The Vietnam book can now be preordered at a discount: https://www.lynxeds.com/product/birds-vietnam

And it looks like the publishers are listening :t:

Definitely a great way to make this book more attractive for those who want to use it in the field. o:)

And by adding some new illustrations with every book, one can hardly get around buying it. I have only checked on the swift plate provided. Aside from some name changes due to splits, many species also come with new illustrations of the underside (e.g. Himalayan Swiftlet and most Needletails). These illustrations are not in the Thailand FG! (And I presume they are also not in any of their previously published books.)

Last edited:
I had a look at the sample pages and I like it. The overall layout with species accounts, plates and maps looks well balanced. I really like the initial info on distribution, that is definitely added value to existing guides. And Vietnamese bird names, excellent.

Interesting way to deal with potential splits/subspecies. I'm not so deep into taxonomic discussions, but looks like a useful and pragmatic way to me.

As for ID section, I would wish for more comparative info, highlighting the differences to similar species. Not sure if this lack of comparison is due to the sample pages (apart from the Needletails, there are no really confusable species) or the general way of the book.

But the focus on Vietnam, the distribution info and maps alone will make it worthwhile to buy.

I had a look at the sample pages and I like it. The overall layout with species accounts, plates and maps looks well balanced. I really like the initial info on distribution, that is definitely added value to existing guides. And Vietnamese bird names, excellent.

The only negative for me on the samples are the QR codes which I consider a waste of space....Otherwise looks excellent.

Does anyone have any comments on the adequacy of the illustrations of the egrets and accipiters?
Des

My main gripe is that the whites on the egrets are mostly way too gray. Flight pictures are better.

I just received my soft cover copy today. I'm very pleased with this version. It is only slightly smaller than my hard cover Thailand version. Quite a bit thinner, though with 50 pages less also making a difference. Anyway, I think this is definitely more fitting for field use.

My main gripe is that the whites on the egrets are mostly way too gray. Flight pictures are better.

I just received my soft cover copy today. I'm very pleased with this version. It is only slightly smaller than my hard cover Thailand version. Quite a bit thinner, though with 50 pages less also making a difference. Anyway, I think this is definitely more fitting for field use.

I agree that they are rather grey, though it must be hard to get any feather definition with pure white.
IMO it is impossible to identify many or most non-breeding egrets to species using the plates. The shapes of the head/gape/bare part features are required.

The juvenile Accipiters also don't show sufficient head details

IMO it is impossible to identify many or most non-breeding egrets to species using the plates. The shapes of the head/gape/bare part features are required.

The juvenile Accipiters also don't show sufficient head details

Then refer to the text? It's the text that makes a field guide, especially for the difficult-to-identify species.

James

Then refer to the text? It's the text that makes a field guide, especially for the difficult-to-identify species.

James

Too right. I lugged the 1995 Howell & Webb Birds of Mexico and Northern Central America to Belize over 20 years ago; the voluminous text was superbly helpful, and I must confess, unexpectedly so. It wasn't until I was using it daily that I realised what an amazing resource it was. It required considerable concentration at first, but then became a source of quick and authoritative reference.
MJB

I've got Thailand and Vietnam now, I think Lynx may start to pump these out at some rate if the artwork is already in place?

I have not looked at any of these new Lynx fieldguides yet. I am assuming that the artwork is taken from HBW plates, so are things like male and female plumages, flight views and immature plumages covered properly?

Steve

I have not looked at any of these new Lynx fieldguides yet. I am assuming that the artwork is taken from HBW plates, so are things like male and female plumages, flight views and immature plumages covered properly?

Steve

Plus fresh images made for the FG that later gets uploaded into HBW alive (as discussed either in this or another thread in the past)

Niels

Steve

Of course, where appropriate.

I think, that aside from their value as field guides, it will turn in to a very collectibale set tough I doubt I'll live to see it completed if their ambition remains as stated, to cover EVERY, country.

Last edited:
I got the book now and had a closer look. Very positive overall! Basically confirmed what I said on the sample pages below. Except that the book indeed gives comparatative info on similar species, so no complaint here either.

I bought the soft cover edition, and I like it very much. Slightly slimmer than the Robson concise version but same height as the Robson full version.

Interesting way to deal with potential splits/subspecies. I'm not so deep into taxonomic discussions, but looks like a useful and pragmatic way to me.

As for ID section, I would wish for more comparative info, highlighting the differences to similar species. Not sure if this lack of comparison is due to the sample pages (apart from the Needletails, there are no really confusable species) or the general way of the book.

But the focus on Vietnam, the distribution info and maps alone will make it worthwhile to buy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back