• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What lens to take (1 Viewer)

dandsblair

David and Sarah
Supporter
I have both 100-400 zoom and 400 F5.6 lenses, on recent trips I have taken both lenses and chosen what to fit (on 7D now upgraded to 7D Mark 11) based on if I thought I'd be shooting mainly at full 400 or getting shots of close-up birds and animals. When doing this I missed a couple of really desirable shots by not being able to close focus with the 400.
So I'm thinking of taking just the 100-400 (and 1.4 extender) for trip to Ghana which will be a mix of forest and savannah birding / wildlife viewing and leaving the 400 behind.
(I'll take SX50 as back up and for Sarah to use rather then second body and other lens due to weight limits on hand luggage).

What would others do?

If I go down this route I suspect that 400 will become redundant.

David

On my recent trip to Zambia I was advised by fellow BF'ers to take two cameras and use one with my 400 prime, the other with my 70-300 zoom. Could you do similar? Worked well for me but we were mostly jeep-based so I could keep both on the seat beside me as we travelled around.

Edit-just noticed your weight restriction - d'oh!!

Oops - big fingers sent instead of corrected.
... Auto focus but even manual focus on tripod gives me poor results). If your 400 works better I'd use that and the SX50 for close up / general views etc.

Still trying to get 400 perfect with Mark11

Oops - big fingers sent instead of corrected.
... Auto focus but even manual focus on tripod gives me poor results). If your 400 works better I'd use that and the SX50 for close up / general views etc.
thanks for the thoughts

I'm not seeing better results with 400 on 7D mark11 over 100-400 that is what has got me thinking, it may be I need to do some more micro adjustments tests with that lense. I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised with 7D Mark ii and 1.4 mark 111 extender with both lenses on a monopod and even some handheld.

As suggested by Mark I may end up foregoing some other stuff in hand luggage and load pockets etc to keep weight down and try take both bodies for time in Mole when we will be on traditional african game drives albeit in the forest and while camping one will probably just sit in the bag as a back up.

Perhaps later

Have you considered the new 100-400mm version II?

We need something by end of January that I'm familar with and happy with outputs so I might consider it later (when it is out for a few months and price might have fallen) but if it really does give 2-3 stops advantage over Mark1 then I'll definately look at it before our next trip with rainforest birding later in the year.

Must admit together with a 1.6 crop body it does appeal as a lightweight flexible travel lens. I would be seriously considering an early trade in on your two current lenses if you have the time to organise it.

Thanks for the thought

Must admit together with a 1.6 crop body it does appeal as a lightweight flexible travel lens. I would be seriously considering an early trade in on your two current lenses if you have the time to organise it.

Might well do that after I come back in February.
I suspect I will get more for 400 which is in almost mint condition than 100-400 where tightening ring is starting to go.
I then have until September to get familar with that combo before next planned trip to Borneo.

All change

Decided to take the advice, got rid of 400 and have new 100-400 on order, being delivered this week but complication is that I had to swop my 7D Mark II body due to a fault, but I tried out the Mark II combo belonging to a friend and results look great and it is very light.

As it happens original luggage problem has disappeared as Air Portugal changed our flights again, (third time) a major change that allowed us to get a full refund. So we are now on BA and I have enough hand luggage allowance to carry two lenses and two bodies plus scope, bins etc.

Decided to take the advice, got rid of 400 and have new 100-400 on order, being delivered this week but complication is that I had to swop my 7D Mark II body due to a fault, but I tried out the Mark II combo belonging to a friend and results look great and it is very light.

As it happens original luggage problem has disappeared as Air Portugal changed our flights again, (third time) a major change that allowed us to get a full refund. So we are now on BA and I have enough hand luggage allowance to carry two lenses and two bodies plus scope, bins etc.

I don't think you'll regret it even if you could have taken so much more! Have a great trip,looking forward to seeing the results. Dave

If your going for quality shots, then go for the prime. If you prefer the convenience of a zoom the go for the EF 100-400mm. If you want both quality shots and the convenience of a zoom, then maybe the new EF 100-400mm mrk II.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back