• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa BDII-XD - september 2019 (1 Viewer)

Its not a case of fast focus is bad and slow focus is good. You need both if you enjoy looking at all aspects of nature.

Lee

There is a solution to this was demonstrated by the Brunton Epochs and Minox HGs: a variable speed focus gear. Nikon has a modified version of this in the Monarch Fieldscope. See the diagram immediately below the product description here.

Last edited:
There is one thing quite obvious to me after reading these Kowa reviews. Chinese manufactured binos can be very, very good nowadays, closing the gap in performance and quality all the time with more expensive offerings. We all know that isn't going to change any time soon.

Glad you new Kowa owners are enjoying them.

Yes, these new Kowa’s (the pair)I received are another example of what the three top alpha companies will be facing in the future. I wonder how they will respond ? Price cuts ? involving a lower quality or just reducing their profit margins. Before I made the Kowa purchase , I sold off all my other binoculars and purchased the Swarovski 8x30 CL thinking this is the one. Telling myself I only need one. The Swarovski 8x30 CL with its excellent view really suits me but if I had to choose now ... the Kowa 6.5x32 or Swarovski 8x30 CL, I probably would have bought the Kowa instead.

I have had the Swarovski CL 8x30 and now I have the Kowa 6.5x32 and I would choose the Kowa also. The Kowa isn't much bigger or heavier than Swarovski. The Kowa is just more comfortable to use than the smaller Swarovski. It has bigger more comfortable eye cups , a bigger exit pupil so eye placement is easier and it is brighter in low light. The focuser is smoother and it has better DOF with a MUCH bigger FOV. Plus, it is less than 1/2 the price of the Swarovski. What's not to like? The Kowa 10x42 which I have is nice also. What I don't really understand is the lack of CA in these Kowa's. The 10x42 shows hardly any CA. Way less than any binocular I have ever had even the Zeiss FL. I don't get how a $400.00 binocular can have that good of glass.

Last edited:
Dennis , I could not have said it any better when describing the differences between the Kowa BDII XD and the Swarovski 8x30 CL. Let’s not forget the fact that the Swarovski 8x30 CL is a really nice binocular, just over priced when you consider what $250 to $500 will buy today. It’s taken almost fifty years of optical innovations for me to experience all these great new products. I only wish now that I could stay alive long enough to witness humanity travel to the stars, along with seeing that first contact.

A very nice endorsement gcole!

Yes, I highly recommend the Kowa BDII XD 6.5x32 binocular. I included the pictures of the Swarovski 8x30 CL to show how they differed in size. My opinion of whether I would purchase one over the other is based on how my eyes perceive the differences. Obviously the price differences surely could be the only deciding factor for many. I have to admit I prefer a 6x - 7 power binocular today, I am not sure that would have been by choice fifty years ago. As I stated earlier I see no negatives regarding the Kowa 6.5x32 optical view or of its handling in regards to its ease of use with its large ocular lens/eye cups or the focuser tension. It was mentioned earlier that it was not sharp to the edges with a certain percentage of softening, I really had to look for that, something that I never do even with a Binocular of much less FOV. Really .... why would anyone have to. The Kowa 6.5x32 with its Huge! FOV is still very impressive even if it has some softening/out of focus toward the edges.

Attachments

• C30C31A0-73C5-4C2D-9977-B890DFBAF359.jpeg
    C30C31A0-73C5-4C2D-9977-B890DFBAF359.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 274
I wonder if the 8x32 is as impressive? Great stuff gcole,once again it is really a great feeling when a new bino meets, and especially when it exceeds our expectations isn't it? I've been let down many, many times in the past so this is refreshing to read about.

"It was mentioned earlier that it was not sharp to the edges with a certain percentage of softening, I really had to look for that, something that I never do even with a Binocular of much less FOV. Really .... why would anyone have to. The Kowa 6.5x32 with its Huge! FOV is still very impressive even if it has some softening/out of focus toward the edges."

These new Kowa's have such a big FOV you don't notice the edge softening as much as other binoculars. The edge softening is gradual also which is not as noticeable as being abrupt. The Kowa's are tack sharp on-axis no doubt about it. If the Chinese can make binoculars like this for this price they are going to really put some pressure on the alpha manufacturers. There is no doubt about it.

Just noticed that the specs for the new Kowa 8x42 is almost identical to several other models, including Athlon Midas, GPO Passion, etc......? Wonder what sets them apart?

I'm considering a 10x32 as a second instrument to complement my Swaro 8x32; any news on a release date for the new Kowa BDII XD 10x32 yet or, if they are available has anyone had sight of them? Sounds from these reviews that it could be one to consider.

RB

Yes, I highly recommend the Kowa BDII XD 6.5x32 binocular. I included the pictures of the Swarovski 8x30 CL to show how they differed in size. My opinion of whether I would purchase one over the other is based on how my eyes perceive the differences. Obviously the price differences surely could be the only deciding factor for many. I have to admit I prefer a 6x - 7 power binocular today, I am not sure that would have been by choice fifty years ago. As I stated earlier I see no negatives regarding the Kowa 6.5x32 optical view or of its handling in regards to its ease of use with its large ocular lens/eye cups or the focuser tension. It was mentioned earlier that it was not sharp to the edges with a certain percentage of softening, I really had to look for that, something that I never do even with a Binocular of much less FOV. Really .... why would anyone have to. The Kowa 6.5x32 with its Huge! FOV is still very impressive even if it has some softening/out of focus toward the edges.

Hi G,

I'm glad to hear there's finally a lower power 32mm bino available and one that delivers such quality for the price...hooray! These seem to come and go, maybe this one will stick around longer due to the positive reviews.

I read your other post about losing money from buying and selling binos over the years and I've arrived at the same place too. I've decided my next purchase has to be my last. I just don't have the money to keep buying a new bino every 1-3 years like I've been doing for so long.

I was going to sell my CL 8x30 along with the Uvid 7x42, but I've decided to keep the CL and only replace the 42mm (too heavy for me now). I been using the CL solely for over a month now and just can't part with it. I just like the ergonomics, low weight and view too much. I really like the colors and how lighter tones are illuminated in that Swarovski way. I figure if there's a few things that make me happy about it, it makes sense to hang onto it.

The original CL doesn't have strong/bold edge contrast like some binos, so it's not surprising the BD II is a bit sharper. However, resolution, colors and apparent brightness are very good in the CL IMHO. Also, the larger exit pupil (especially) along with wider true FOV will make the 6.5x easier to use especially with glasses.

I wonder if the 8x32 is as impressive? Great stuff gcole,once again it is really a great feeling when a new bino meets, and especially when it exceeds our expectations isn't it? I've been let down many, many times in the past so this is refreshing to read about.

I have been down that road many times also over the years, making my decision to purchase based on what spec’s the optics manufacturers has provided. Bird Forum members expressed views here helps us all to make that decision easier and more accurate when it comes to making the right purchase. Many times our views do not agree, but when it comes to finding the right deals we are spot on.

Last edited:
Hi G,
I was going to sell my CL 8x30 along with the Uvid 7x42, but I've decided to keep the CL and only replace the 42mm (too heavy for me now). I been using the CL solely for over a month now and just can't part with it. I just like the ergonomics, low weight and view too much. I really like the colors and how lighter tones are illuminated in that Swarovski way. I figure if there's a few things that make me happy about it, it makes sense to hang onto it.

The original CL doesn't have strong/bold edge contrast like some binos, so it's not surprising the BD II is a bit sharper. However, resolution, colors and apparent brightness are very good in the CL IMHO. Also, the larger exit pupil (especially) along with wider true FOV will make the 6.5x easier to use especially with glasses.
Smart decision on keeping the smaller Swarovski CL 8x30. Everything you mentioned regarding why you came to that decision echoes the same for me also. It is just a nice small 8x power binocular(not to small) having very high quality. The Kowa 6.5x32 BDII XD is not a Swarovski but I really like this low power Kowa. The Kowa 6.5x32 is now the top dog :t: in my opinion of the 6x-7x32 binoculars that are now available. This one I am keeping, I am sure the little Swarovski won’t mind.:-O

"I just don't have the money to keep buying a new bino every 1-3 years like I've been doing for so long."

Say, WHAT! I buy a new bino every 1-3 WEEKS!:-O

Last edited:
"I just don't have the money to keep buying a new bino every 1-3 years like I've been doing for so long."

Say, WHAT! I buy a new bino every 1-3 WEEKS!:-O

It’s not the money that is the problem. The real problem is finding all the room to keep them, not to mention the nerve racking decision of which binocular gets to play 3:) for the day and which ones stay home. :C

Smart decision on keeping the smaller Swarovski CL 8x30. Everything you mentioned regarding why you came to that decision echoes the same for me also. It is just a nice small 8x power binocular(not to small) having very high quality. The Kowa 6.5x32 BDII XD is not a Swarovski but I really like this low power Kowa. The Kowa 6.5x32 is now the top dog :t: in my opinion of the 6x-7x32 binoculars that are now available. This one I am keeping, I am sure the little Swarovski won’t mind.:-O

that's a nice combo you have there.

I'll have the 8x30 CL and FL 8x32 (on its way) and those will have to last me until infinity and beyond.

that's a nice combo you have there.

I'll have the 8x30 CL and FL 8x32 (on its way) and those will have to last me until infinity and beyond.

I had a chance to try the 8x32 FL a few years back, I would swap my complete combo(both) for one new 8x32 FL. I really like both of mine but they are no Zeiss 8x32 FL

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back