• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BDII XD Reviews (1 Viewer)

Upland

Hi. Hoping to restrict this thread to actual reviews of the new BDII XDs in any configuration. Thanks in advance for only posting reviews or questions to reviewers.

Hi. Hoping to restrict this thread to actual reviews of the new BDII XDs in any configuration. Thanks in advance for only posting reviews or questions to reviewers.

Having given by opinion of the Kowa BDII XD 6.5x32 I recently received on the earlier thread ... here is my history(that I can remember)with all my purchases of the 6x power to 7 power compact to medium size binoculars I have owned over the years comparing them to the latest offering of the 6.5x32 New Kowa. Remembering all these purchases is a little embarrassing, not to mention all the money I lost re-selling these. A problem I had and still working on but I will leave that to another time.

In order of purchase :
6.5x32 Minox BD IF ... better build not as sharp as the Kowa
7x26 Bushnell Custom .... smaller almost as sharp
7x36 Swift HWCF Eaglet .... a tad larger not as sharp
6x32 Leupold Katmai .... a tad smaller not as sharp
6.5x32 Vortex Furry .... similar in size Optically not even close
6x32 Vortex Viper HD .... a tad larger Optically close but no cigar
6.5x32 Meopta MeoPro .... similar in size Optically not even close
7x36 Opticron BGA Classic .... larger not as sharp
6x32 Opticron Traveller .... much smaller not as sharp
6.5x32 Vixen IP WP ED .... similar in size Optically very similar

The only one in my opinion(with my eyes)that was in the same ball park optically was the Vixen with the Vortex Viper coming very close to being as sharp/clear and having a very bright view. Note: I listed the larger objectives of the Opticron Classic and the Swift Eaglet because of their compact size when compared to the others. One other thing I would like to mention about the Bushnell Custom, if the Bushnell Custom could have had the Kowa build qualities with the added benefit of their special glass .... wow that would be the one we would be talking about now. All this being said , the New Kowa 6.5x32 in my opinion is now the top dog in the 6 to 7x power to date binoculars having that $500 price range.

Last edited:
Thanks. There’s so much content not related to the optics qualities of the BD IIs in the other thread it take a Long time to wade through it all and find actual reviews.

Thanks. There’s so much content not related to the optics qualities of the BD IIs in the other thread it take a Long time to wade through it all and find actual reviews.

Your Welcome. Unfortunately a few members here always seem to find a way to voice their opinion of their favorite brand and moving the discussion to something completely unrelated to the original topic.

I purchased both the 8X32 and the 6.5X32, get the 6.5X, much better glass to my eyes, the loss of mag is offset by the larger FOV, and for me more succinctly, the larger exit pupil. On this rainy day, so much better viewing than any 8X30 really.

One more thing, the depth of focus, I have other 6-7X with a better depth of focus than either Kowa, off course they are porros. The 6.5X however, wins here, much better than the 8X32 - which to me has the most shallow depth of field than any 8X30-32 glass I own.

Andy W.

Last edited:
" I have other 6-7X with a better depth of focus than either Kowa, off course they are porros."

Are you referring to 3D image or DOF. The only thing that determines DOF is magnification. Every 6x or 7x binocular is going to have the same DOF regardless of brand and the 6x will have better DOF than the 7x. The porro's on the other hand will always have a better 3D image.

The 8X32 gives the appearance of a flat field, though it does not have field flattening, I have to focus to see an object slightly in the background, the focus is like my Nikon HG/LX 10X32, very fast....and it is starting to have some slop. Maybe I got a bad sample. In the end, I will keep the 6.5X32, a nice glass. I will wait to see how long they perform down the road from a mechanical perspective. In the meantime, I am covered in the 8X32 format, many to choose from.

Andy W.

The 8X32 gives the appearance of a flat field, though it does not have field flattening, I have to focus to see an object slightly in the background, the focus is like my Nikon HG/LX 10X32, very fast....and it is starting to have some slop. Maybe I got a bad sample. In the end, I will keep the 6.5X32, a nice glass. I will wait to see how long they perform down the road from a mechanical perspective. In the meantime, I am covered in the 8X32 format, many to choose from.

Andy W.
I managed to get a Nikon EDG II 8x32 from Japan with a perfect silky smooth focuser and it has become my favorite 8x32 even over the SV 8x32. Even the objective covers stay on! It shows less glare than the SV and the focuser is the best I have ever seen and the binocular is really comfortable to use. I like the Nikon 8x32 EDG so much I ordered a Nikon 8x42 EDG from Japan for a little bigger aperture. We will see how it is. Even the EDG's can vary a little in quality.

Last edited:
Yes everything is variable. I know you had an EDG II 8X32 a while ago, but you have come back to it. It is a nice glass. The 8X42 EDG is my favorite, it just works for me overall from an optical and ergonomic perspective. I do not use the objective covers on my EDGs, (that was an after thought from Nikon). I took advice from Bruce, (who has not been here for a while) and use a Zeiss/Terra case from B&H, all my edgs fit into those cases.
Regarding the Kowas, time will tell as folks buy them- I hope they have success with the new Model BDII. I think the 6.5X32 is a unique glass, at least a new offering in that format, and they likely will sell many.

Andy W

I received the 6.5x32 Thursday evening. I have used it just a little bit, but am rather impressed when comparing it to what I have on hand (7x36 Zen Ray ED2, Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25, Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42) and what I recall of other binoculars I've owned.

It has very easy eye placement, great depth of field, and very high apparent build quality. Optically, the FoV is wide and bright, with exceptional views of about 50% of the field, tapering off gradually until the last 5 or 10%. Very little CA, very sharp, quite bright. Colors seem mostly neutral. Control of stray light appears to be a weaker point than in the Victory Pocket or Conquest HD, which control that issue better than most I've seen.

The optical qualities are quite a bit better than 7x36 ZR EDII, which is an optically solid binocular outside of its small sweet spot and excessive distortion outside of the sweet spot.

I would like to try the 8x32 and 8x42 models, but have no need at this time, given other options I have.

At $400, this is a bargain especially considering the unique qualities of the 6.5x32 format.

More in the field analysis to follow after I get some more time behind the glass.

J

Yes everything is variable. I know you had an EDG II 8X32 a while ago, but you have come back to it. It is a nice glass. The 8X42 EDG is my favorite, it just works for me overall from an optical and ergonomic perspective. I do not use the objective covers on my EDGs, (that was an after thought from Nikon). I took advice from Bruce, (who has not been here for a while) and use a Zeiss/Terra case from B&H, all my edgs fit into those cases.
Regarding the Kowas, time will tell as folks buy them- I hope they have success with the new Model BDII. I think the 6.5X32 is a unique glass, at least a new offering in that format, and they likely will sell many.

Andy W
I am hoping the Nikon 8x42 EDG II will have that fluid smooth focuser they are known for. USPS actually lost the first one they tried to ship from Japan and now I am going around with the seller for a refund. I use the same Zeiss /Terra cases. I keep several 32mm and 42mm in stock and the EDG's fit in them nicely. I use a Vero Vellini Strap on the EDG's because the Nikon strap is too long and big.

6.5x32 Vortex Fury .... larger in size Optically not even close
6x32 Vortex Viper HD .... similar in size Optically close but no cigar
Correction to my original statement, having gone back and looked at Vortex’s old site:
6.5x32 Fury measures ... 5.4x5.3 inches
6x32 Vortex Viper ... 4.9x4.8
6.5x32 Kowa BDII XD. ... 4.56x4.88
The Kowa is overall smaller in size

I tried the 6.5x32 in a local store recently and my findings are consistent with what everyone is saying. I only had a brief look but what struck me immediately was the quality of the build, focus wheel and eye cups - all very good. Depth of field was amazing too. One thing to note which I don't believe has been mentioned is there is no locking diopter on the right eye piece. Not a deal breaker for me personally but would have been nice. I do note that the diopter ring is stiff enough that its unlikely to move easily by accident, but smooth enough and easy to use when you need to.

I tried the 6.5x32 in a local store recently and my findings are consistent with what everyone is saying. I only had a brief look but what struck me immediately was the quality of the build, focus wheel and eye cups - all very good. Depth of field was amazing too. One thing to note which I don't believe has been mentioned is there is no locking diopter on the right eye piece. Not a deal breaker for me personally but would have been nice. I do note that the diopter ring is stiff enough that its unlikely to move easily by accident, but smooth enough and easy to use when you need to.
I have had no problem with the diopter ring wheel moving at all in either of my Kowa BDII XD's. It stays where it is set and it is easy to move. A good simple design IMO.

Last edited:
I tried the 6.5x32 in a local store recently and my findings are consistent with what everyone is saying. I only had a brief look but what struck me immediately was the quality of the build, focus wheel and eye cups - all very good.

So far, overall build quality is very nearly similar to the Kowa Genesis series, in my opinion. The diopter is simple, but stays put and simple isn't always bad.

The only optical quality that I find to be at fault is handling of stray light/glare/flare; I find that to be an issue with many binoculars and it is clearly inferior to the Conquest HD and Victory Pocket in this respect.

Apparent sharpness in the sweetspot is excellent, and CA is very well controlled. The image is quite bright and has very good contrast, and is rather neutral to my eyes. Distortion is done well so although there does exist a softening of the edge, it is not distracting.

Overall, I'm very pleased and hope I can test an 8x42 model to see how it stacks up against the higher priced Conquest HD.

Justin

"The only optical quality that I find to be at fault is handling of stray light/glare/flare; I find that to be an issue with many binoculars and it is clearly inferior to the Conquest HD and Victory Pocket in this respect."

But it is better than the smaller SV's like the 8x32 SV and SV 10x32.

I managed to get a Nikon EDG II 8x32 from Japan with a perfect silky smooth focuser and it has become my favorite 8x32 even over the SV 8x32. Even the objective covers stay on! .... Even the EDG's can vary a little in quality.

Dennis, for your info my new - earlier this year - EDG II 7x42 also has not only the ultrasmooth focuser but like your 8x32 the objective covers stay on and need a good tug to snap them out. It sounds as though they must have tweaked the line at some point over the years. Tobias also notes other improvements as he says either to the product or to his own 'rewiring' in how he rates the EDG (in his case an 8x42).

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back