• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

rather sickening that this goes on..... (1 Viewer)

If this kind of thing is widespread in the Lebanon - we are talking about something even worse then the situation in Malta. Birdlife International need to tackle this ASAP:C:C:C

According to an article about the last Bald Ibises in Syria in Dutch Birding, Arabia is a "black hole" for large birds, so there is a lot more work to do than just educate the Lebanese.
Years ago, I read a book about the birds of Lebanon, expecting the avifauna not to be too different from Israel. However, even Hoopoe (a very common bird in Israel) apparently doesn't get a chance to breed in Lebanon because it gets shot...
Let's follow up with a few more examples of the local "sportsmen".
I assume everyone is aware of the shooting of Sociable Plovers in Syria. Last year, we had the youtube film about shooting orioles (can't remember in which desert this was). Kuwaiti's killing terns etc. have been shown as well. Macqueen's Bustard is satellite-tracked to Central-Asia just to hunt the final ones (although we are led to believe that this will help protection). Falcons are smuggled in large scale to Arabia (not just by Englishmen strapping eggs to their body... finding Saker in Kazakhstan is getting harder and harder). Egypt is a well-known destination for indiscrimate shooting. Morocco has long ago lost its Arabian Bustards, and is now reintroducing Houbaras (I can guess why...)

According to an article about the last Bald Ibises in Syria in Dutch Birding, Arabia is a "black hole" for large birds, so there is a lot more work to do than just educate the Lebanese.
Years ago, I read a book about the birds of Lebanon, expecting the avifauna not to be too different from Israel. However, even Hoopoe (a very common bird in Israel) apparently doesn't get a chance to breed in Lebanon because it gets shot...
Let's follow up with a few more examples of the local "sportsmen".
I assume everyone is aware of the shooting of Sociable Plovers in Syria. Last year, we had the youtube film about shooting orioles (can't remember in which desert this was). Kuwaiti's killing terns etc. have been shown as well. Macqueen's Bustard is satellite-tracked to Central-Asia just to hunt the final ones (although we are led to believe that this will help protection). Falcons are smuggled in large scale to Arabia (not just by Englishmen strapping eggs to their body... finding Saker in Kazakhstan is getting harder and harder). Egypt is a well-known destination for indiscrimate shooting. Morocco has long ago lost its Arabian Bustards, and is now reintroducing Houbaras (I can guess why...)

i didn't know it was that widespread!!:C:C:C:C:C:C

Last edited:
id imagine the people killing birds in the middle east effect the population that returns to europe to breed so this is more than a local or regional problem

Yes that is the non-understanding bird/wildlife mockers making a mockery of wildlife in this world

Very manly of them to pick on their local wildlife - why do they not pick on one another instead for fun!!!

:C:C:C:C:C:C:

Regards
Kathy
x

Wonder if they may like the posting I'm just leaving on their facebook wall.... Sick poor excuse for humans deserve to be hunted themselves

Jan

that makes me very angry.....:C:C:C:C

those ...subjects,what named Human .....they are all over the world

a little group of people ,try to help the birds,when they are sick or falling out from nesting...give food and water ,go to a veterinär.....

and then...

Hunting ...and it don`t interested the Hunters

i hope you understand what i mean...

If this kind of thing is widespread in the Lebanon - we are talking about something even worse then the situation in Malta. Birdlife International need to tackle this ASAP:C:C:C

ASAP? Blimey, if BirdLife International can solve this, well they might as well tell the UN they'll sort out world peace while they're at it. You are talking about a country that has had internal and external strife for decades, where political and religious extremist groups are routinely armed, and where many groups hold no tolerance for opposing views, and life hasn't always been valued.. c'mon, birds aren't going to be high on some people's agenda.

However, you will be pleased to see something is already being done if you take a quick gander at the website;
http://www.birdlife.org/worldwide/national/lebanon/index.html
Birdlife International has a brilliant partner in SPNL. Scroll down the list of achievements, you might like the note about the army doing their bit to enforce the bird protection laws.

As someone else has already said, we're talking about illegal hunting. We can be as knee-jerk as we like to a provocative video, but just like with Malta, it's going to be slowly slowly catchee monkey and we'll just have to get the next generations educated. At the same time it's also let's empower the local population through getting villages and districts to take pride in their own wildlife, and pleasingly that's also beginning to get results.

I met Assad Sarhal, SPNL's Director, when in Qatar, a great guy. He was there with a Lebanese TV film crew making a children's series for Al Jazeera about the natural history of the desert. I've only just finished a month working with one of the SPNL staff here in the UK, and what an eye opener. She funded her own trip to come and learn more about conservation to help her play a more positive role in conserving nature in her country. Humbling. For my part I've promised to go out and work with her in the field as soon as the opportunity arises, to help get through to the important next generation.

So please don't base an opinion of the country on just this one posting- sure, things are plenty, plenty bad in places, but dig a bit deeper and you'll find things are improving, albeit slowly, very slowly.

Wonder if they may like the posting I'm just leaving on their facebook wall.... Sick poor excuse for humans deserve to be hunted themselves Jan

And c'mon PB, that really doesn't move things forward. I mean, you might feel better for it, but for all you know you could have just been watching the Lebanese equivalent of Peter Scott in that film, if they get given a chance. There are plenty of ways anyone upset by that footage and photos can make more a positive contribution.

Now you don't have to go to the end I did, playing a gritty typecast role as Dipsy the Balding Birding Tellytubbo alongside Lebanon's own Antsy the Ant.. More seriously, during filming while the photo below was being taken, there were people in the background driving around in a 4x4 shooting a Marsh Harrier and a Night Heron. I couldn't haved helped those two birds by going and having a barney with the gunmen, but I've perhaps helped a good few more generations of birds c/o Al Jazeera and repeats on Al Jazeera Dave. Surely this image is the better picture to focus on (even with me in it)??

DunnoKev
-----------
Education, education, education..

Last edited:
Yes that is the non-understanding bird/wildlife mockers making a mockery of wildlife in this world

Very manly of them to pick on their local wildlife - why do they not pick on one another instead for fun!!!

:C:C:C:C:C:C:

Regards
Kathy
x

they "pick" on eachother on a daily basis. hezbollah, islamic jihad, the christian militas ect have all been guilty.......

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back