• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EII 8X30 case options? (1 Viewer)

Canuck Bob

I am fond of my new to me EII 8X30. The case is of current standards, cheaper, but earlier cases interest me for this binocular. Particularly the leather E model case.

Will my binocular fit in one of these early E cases?
Did Nikon have a single case for the line or different ones for 7X35 to 10X35?
Are they all the red cases pictured sometimes?
What is a sensible price for a used case?

Any advice regarding cases and alternative cases would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The 8x30 EII fits the 8x30 E case perfectly. The case for the 7x35 and 10x35 Es (there was no 10x40 E) was bigger to accommodate the longer, wider objective tubes. I don't see why an 8x30 EII wouldn't fit in one of those, although somewhat loosely. E cases were always the same red/brown and straight sided. Earlier cases for the A series were the more traditional kidney bean shape with tapered sides. They look nicer to me than the E cases and should also accommodate the EII. Cases for other manufacturers' 8x30s may be too narrow because of the unusually wide stance of the E II.

Thanks Henry, great catch on the 10X35 error. May I ask what you would consider paying for a used case, very good or better? I will look into the other case you mention. The plan for the case is home storage so the larger case would work.

Bob,

I have four cases for my much-loved 8x30 EII. The original case, an 8x30 E case which as Henry says fits perfectly (I was very lucky to pick up this case on eBay for only £5 and it's in great condition), a Lowepro Streamline 100 case but best of all a CCS case.

Camera Care Systems was a British company that went bust many years ago but their cases, which were used on professional (eg polar) expeditions, offer really good protection and can sometimes be picked up on ebay quite cheaply.

Graham

Thank you Grimnr for that heads up. I'll keep an eye for the different cases. FYI for others there is a case on the fleabay site that looks like a E MC reddish square case. It does not indicate original bino size built for so buyer beware. The pictures look good but the price is too high landed here. I hope against hope to spot a pawn store special and know what fits. The 7x35 Nikon E MC is on a wishlist.

The factory velcro secured soft case can be modified to work while I scavenge something else. The case seems designed as a one size fits all EII case. There is room for some extra foam padding even with a strap wrapped bino. It is my opinion if it is removed or unattached it will get lost over the next decade. The case is for home storage and careful carry in the car.

I am also considering the Bushwacker #5 objective protectors so the extra length now needs considering. If I settle on bare eye viewing winged EP cups are a possibility too, not outlined in my OP because these options were not well known or understood by me.

Last edited:
I'm bumping up this thread to see if anyone using an EII 8x30 has come up with new ideas or solutions regarding the case. I'm utterly pleased with the binoculars, but all the accessories leave much to be desired IMHO. I've already sorted out rain guard, lens covers and strap (using bits from Kowa, Opticron and Zeiss), but I'm still struggling with the case. At the moment I'm using the case from a Kowa YF 8x30 -I'm not sure if it's the same one as the stock one with the Leupold Yosemite. It does the trick, but since my IPD is on the large side (and I don't want to fold them each time I use them) the fit is a bit too snug. Thanks for any additional hint!

I use an older soft vinyl Opticron case that used to come with the 8x42 HR WP porros. It is nice in that the Nikon's strap fits in the case and that the case has it's own strap. I can't find this case on the Opticron website anymore but they still offer a nice range of after market cases:
https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-products/cases/binocular-cases

The 21066 Binocular Case in soft leather for porro prism 42mm looks nice.

George

Last edited:
I keep mine in a Vortex Glasspak Binocular Harness Padded Bag. It fits nicely when placed in sideways with enough room to slide the strap in beside it.

@14 Goudvink @downunder Thanks! That was really informative. I prefer the idea of a smallish case like the ones 14Godvink has pointed out, something that I can even attach to my belt eventually (not to walk miles with it, but to take the binoculars out of the way quickly and have them within reach quickly, say faster than if they were in my backpack).

I've measured the case I'm now using (around 165x155x65 mm) and Opticron model N. 21066 has very similar dimensions (175x135x60), but that extra centimeter of width could be what I'm looking for (at 165 mm now the case stretches to accommodate the binos... probably up to 175 mm). The only thing I'm not sure is whether this soft leather case has a belt loop (probably the answer is no), and maybe the soft cordura/neoprene versions do have it (attached is a picture of an old Opticron case I found on the famous auction website).

@14Goudvink Does your case have a belt loop? Thanks again, great help!

Attachments

• Opticron case belt loop.jpg
    Opticron case belt loop.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 77
I picked up a Crumpler 2-Million Dollar Home (yes, really, that is what it's called) case from ebay several months ago. Binoculars go in on their side, but fit nicely. I put an extra bit of closed-cell foam in the lid pocket. Works very well - easy carry, nice looking and good protection. It's not a current model, but I picked mine up new-old-stock.

MandoBear, now THAT is a name :eek!: I'm familiar with Crumpler bags, they do great stuff. However, in my case I’m interested in a very simple and small case that could even be wear on the belt.

Today I measured the OEM case (cheap-looking leather-wannabe vinyl with golden Nikon badge straight from the last century), it's around 190x135x70. And it weights around 110 g/3,5 oz. If feels a bit clunky and is not the most handy.

Checking Opticron’s cases I was surprised to see that their weight ranged from 257 g/9oz (for the semi-rigid vinyl for x32-42 porros) to 75 g/2,6 oz for a cordura case for 8x42 roofs (which could accommodate a porro as well).
Surprisingly, the Kowa case from my 8x30 YF (don’t know if the Leupold Yosemite uses the same case) weights a mere 40 g/1,4 oz offering almost the same level of cushion than the OEM case. So now I’m puzzled, since the Kowa, at 40 g, with belt loop and a really small size seems a great idea… if it was only 1 cm wider and a couple of cm shorter… A mere curiosity; OEM case does not fit in the cupboard under the passenger seat on my car while the Kowa does. Inch by inch, I’m really curious about Opticron’s Cordura cases, although they don’t seem to have a belt loop (their neopren cases do).

(Edit: added pictures for reference)

Attachments

• Cases1.jpg
    Cases1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Cases2.jpg
    Cases2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
MandoBear, now THAT is a name :eek!: I'm familiar with Crumpler bags, they do great stuff. However, in my case I’m interested in a very simple and small case that could even be wear on the belt.
Yeah, if it's belt wearing you want, that particular Crumpler is a no-go. Over the shoulder only, but it is quite a simple case - one compartment and a slim front pocket, flap over lid with velcro and buckle fastening. It suits me, but not for everyone!

I went a bit over board with a case for my E2's and glad I did although it's a bit bulky. It's a pelican storm iM2200 and both bins are well protected in it. For me it's the perfect way to protect my E2's when traveling , going to the park or for storage . I just pick a binocular depending on how I feel and leave the other in the case in the car .

Attachments

• DSC00831 (Large).jpg
    DSC00831 (Large).jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 115
E cases were always the same red/brown and straight sided. Earlier cases for the A series were the more traditional kidney bean shape with tapered sides. They look nicer to me than the E cases and should also accommodate the EII. Cases for other manufacturers' 8x30s may be too narrow because of the unusually wide stance of the E II.

I too like the looks of the "kidney bean" porro cases. My Oberkochen 8x30 - also a wide/short binocular - was purchased secondhand with no case, but (just) fits a kidney bean case found amongst a miscellany of camera cases at Camera Exchange, London. I would prefer an original case, of course, but the asking prices for these, though no doubt sensible to some, are beyond what I'm willing to pay. When I sold my 8x30 Jenoptem I ought to have kept its case!

I mainly use the kidney-bean case when bringing the binocular abroad - most of my trips are for only three or four hours and I put it into a beanie and that into a small rucksack. Its great Leitz rival does seem more delicate and I carry that one in its original, much battered, case.

I went a bit over board with a case for my E2's and glad I did although it's a bit bulky. It's a pelican storm iM2200 and both bins are well protected in it...
Wow :eek!: In that layout those EIIs definitely look like Dr. No's personal binoculars ;)

I have found another nice bag for the EII 8x30.
Decathlon Quechua Grey, Cod 8356616 https://www.decathlon.co.uk/grey-multi-compartment-bag-id_8356616.html
External dimensions (as per manufacturer's information) is: 180 x 160 x 40 mm, so spot on for the little EII. Actually 16 cm of height is more than enogh (a bag with 13-14 cm would be a tighter fit), but this way, the extra couple of cm allow you to fold the strap and keep it nice and tidy inside the bag if you need to. The bag has it's own little strap (a little on the thin side) if you want to carry it over the shoulder.

The bag is not padded, so protection is not its biggest point, but it is extremely light, small and nimble, the fabric looks the part (some sort of soft cordura), has belt loops, which is essential for me, and the looks are utterly understated (something I personally like; no one would imagine what treasure lies hidden inside this proletarian looking little bag ;) ).

The bag has a big flap cover with a velcro closure and a zip underneath so secure the main compartment, and there are two small pockets, one on the backside of the flap cover and one of the side of the bag; both look perfect for a small cleaning cloth.

Given the fact that the bag has a 4 cm extra depth, I see it easily receiving a padded layer to cover the bottom of the inside compartment (doing it with the sides could prove a little more compromised).

It costs the staggering amount of 9,99 € (7,99 GBP)

A couple of pictures to illustrate it.

Attachments

• Bolsa EII_01.jpg
    Bolsa EII_01.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Bolsa EII_02.jpg
    Bolsa EII_02.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Bolsa EII_03.jpg
    Bolsa EII_03.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back