• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Devonians Cruise Up & Down The Exe! (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
This is today's diary entry for a Stuart Line cruise up the River Exe with Peter Hayes and two companions . . .

17-02-03

After some lunch I surveyed the extremely exposed Pole Sand at low tide from the path running along Exmouth shore for a few minutes and saw some Red Breasted Mergansers, a Brent Goose, 2 Cormorants and several Oystercatchers feeding on the Dawlish Warren bank. There were four species of gull, namely Herring Gulls, a few Common Gulls, one great Black Backed Gull and a welcome Yellow Legged Gull which pleased a passing lady birder too. We soon met Peter Hayes and company to embark on the Tudor Rose for a cruise up and down the River Exe with supporting commentary from the sharp eyed Rod Lawrence. The boat left with plenty of room on board to move around in and headed out just beyond Warren Point where we soon found the earlier Mergansers and turned to begin the slow meandering progress up the river against the tide. The birds were surprisingly thin on the ground so far yet there were some entertaining Gulls and Crows taking mussels up into the air and dropping them to stun the molluscs to loosen their grip on the shells. There was an adult Herring Gull being chased in the air by a younger one that was attempting to steal it’s booty. It was amazing to notice how different the estuary and Dawlish Warren looked at low tide as I usually coincide my visits with the rising tides at least. The beach in front of the Warren was vast and desolate, mainly made up of shingle. We soon got close to a courting pair of Goldeneye back near Exmouth with the spot cheeked, green headed male jerking his head back to impress the female. A few Brent Geese were feeding on the edge of the tide along with a Little Egret. A Turnstone whizzed by as we moved away from Exmouth as well as quite a few Oystercatchers with molluscs in their bills. The cruising vessel seemed to have a mind of it’s own as due to the low tide we were twisting up and down the both sides of the estuary and we found ourselves close to Warren Point again venturing up towards the Bight and past some mussel or oyster cages where some more Brent Geese were seen and an unfortunate Bar Tailed Godwit was running along with a clenched up gammy foot. It did not appear to be hindered by this deformity or injury though. The Brent Geese are attracted here by the plentiful Eel Grass. Another Little Egret was somewhere around here too, whereabouts has escaped my memory. A Curlew fed behind the cages and a plucky Oystercatcher was defensively attacking a larger Crow to protect it’s victuals, clearly showing that size does not matter. Just after the mussel beds I found a grey Knot feeding away and shared it with Peter. There were several of the ubiquitous Red Breasted Mergansers around the estuary with many superlative shaggy crested males. As we approached Cockwood we saw Brent Geese by the hundred in a bay and the boat was tilting precariously to one side when I stood in the centre looking down the middle. To the east of the boat we found a group of four summer plumaged Great Crested Grebes and found two more after another turn at the end of Cockwood. Four Shelducks flew past the boat heading off into the distance down river. Near Powderham sailing club there was a shallow bar just covered by the rising tide and a Curlew was feeding away on it appearing to be walking on water. A few minutes later the boat got stuck on the bottom and it took a bit of moving back and forth to release ourselves. I ventured outside up front on the bow and got much clearer views without the distortion of the Perspex windows. I soon retreated back under cover from the bitter cold. Rod Lawrence was on the side giving a spirited commentary holding both a microphone and his bins. It did not have any effect on me as I could not hear a word he was saying nor could I lip read him either. Along the railway lined bank near Powderham there was the first Avocet of the day along with some Redshanks, Dunlin, Wigeon and some Heron nests in the trees behind the yacht club. Rod pointed out there was a Grey Seal to the left of the boat but it seemed no one spotted it as it had gone back under water. Nearing Lympstone there were many more Avocet and some Grey Plover, Knot, Bar Tailed Godwits and one or two Sanderling. About thirty Knot and loads of Godwits flew over the boat down river. Peter and I bravely went back out on the bow. Along the sandy point of Greenland Bank opposite the Lympstone commando training base there was a Spoonbill feeding in the shallow water with sweeping movements of it’s open bill. Both Grey and Golden Plovers were feeding along the muddy banks too, soon my teeth were becoming painful against the cold wind and once again we returned to the warmer interior decks. Opposite the Goatwalk south of Topsham there were plenty of Shelducks and as we cruised alongside Topsham proper we found several Teal and many of the usual Gulls. A Black Tailed Godwit was burying it’s whole bill into the soft mud right up to it’s cheeks. Peter and I scanned the small scrubby inlets of Topsham for Sandpiper and Water Rail to no avail. The Tudor Rose turned round for the last time and speedily returned down river to Exmouth with everyone winding down and chatting to each other occasionally looking out to check some birds. As we neared Exmouth we could see approximately nine hundred Oystercatchers at their usual roost at Dawlish Warren and I spotted a single Lesser Black Backed Gull with Great Black Backed Gulls and Herring Gulls next to it for easy comparison. After docking we bid farewell to Rod and expressed our appreciation. I was really pleased with the day despite it being relatively poor for birds. We believed the reason for this being it was too cold for the birds to leave their roost sites such as Bowling Green Marsh. A significantly better cruise than the last one.

I have posted four relevant pictures in the Birding trips section of the Gallery.

Seems you had a
great cruise Andrew and co. ,if a little cold by the sounds of it!! Just the sort of trip I could do with, I'm not very good on waders, and the practice would be good. Mind you even I would recognise 900 Oystercatchers together. That must have been an amazing sight!!

I will have to try one of these cruises soon but if the weather you encountered is anything to go by then perhaps I will leave a month or so.

Good report Andrew and you did find a bird I haven't seen this year. The Knot has eluded me so far.

I agree John it seems more attractive to go on one of the March cruises where it will be warmer and they will be nearer their full summer breeding plumages.

Andrew

Thank you for that really lovely report. It was a pleasure to go birding with you. It is always a great trip with Rod Lawrence, and as you say, the Exe always throws up something a little different, depending on the tide.

Considering the extreme cold, I thought we did rather well, birdwise, mostly thanks to your sharp eyes!

As you say, we'll have to go again in the spring.

Peter

Peter,

I forgot to mention my many thanks to you for your company and pointing out what Rod was saying over the microphone. It was really helpful. Thanks.

Great report Andrew. You mention and I quote....

"Just after the mussel beds I found a grey Knot feeding away and shared it with Peter."

What did it taste like. I expect as with all food that is unusual it tasted like chicken. It probably went well with the mussels and I expect Peter brought a fine wine along to go with it.....lol and lol again.

Colin

You're absolutely right Colin, it was a superb Burgundy. The taste of the Knot was more like pheasant that chicken, if you know what I mean. Gamey. And there wasn't much to go around. Still, it made a delightful change to cheese and chutney sandwiches!

Oh you changed the menu from Saturday then. I enjoyed the meal you laid out for me at the turf. I will have to forget my sandwiches again the next time we meet: LOL

There was one appalling ommission - no napkins! I shall shout at my batman when I get home

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back