• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumberland insect & arrachnid ID (1 Viewer)

Iazza,
Now in retirement and sad to say with only a few months left to live

I'm sad to read that Harry. I've enjoyed reading your posts here even though I've not interacted much with them, I think we have different interests. Good luck (which is probably inappropriate) for whatever time you have left.
Alan

Thanks folks for the suggestions (and encouragement to just keep on with my random journey of semi-discovery!)

OK, randomness continues, this time with a nice wolf spider from the strawberry patch yesterday! I've narrowed this down to probably one of two Pardosa species, but it seems P. lugubris and P. saltans are hard to distinguish. Based on information on British Spiders, it seems P. saltans predominates, but it seems neither are widely recorded (if at all) in Northumberland...

Attachments

• Pardosa_sp_orig.jpg
    Pardosa_sp_orig.jpg
    753.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Pardosa_sp.jpg
    Pardosa_sp.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 67
Your latest spider isn't a wolf spider, it's Textrix denticulata, an agelenid.

As I understand it, P saltans and lugubris aren't the same species, it's just that a common species we have in the UK was originally thought to be lugubris but then the experts changed their mind and decided it was saltans. Maybe I've got that slightly wrong but they're listed as separate species here -
http://www.araneae.unibe.ch/list/spec/taxId/255/Pardosa

I've just looked back through this thread. You queried Gasteruption for one insect. It isn't - Gasteruption has thickened hind legs and shorter antennae. It also has a rather different connection between thorax and abdomen though it's hard to see that on yours.

Last edited:
I've just looked back through this thread. You queried Gasteruption for one insect. It isn't - Gasteruption has thickened hind legs and shorter antennae. It also has a rather different connection between thorax and abdomen though it's hard to see that on yours.

OK, thanks. I'll have another look. Any ideas for an alternative ID?

Three species from the garden today.

First, a Salticidae spider. Can it be said for certain that it is Salticus scenicus, or are there several similar species?

Next a bumblebee that has me confused. Is it a Tree bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum) with a bald patch, or something else? I was wondering about Bombus barbutellus

Then, a hoverfly, which I am thinking is Myathropa florea (yellow-haired sunfly)...?

I also have an unknown garden moth, which I will post in the appropriate forum!

Finally, I have some small, unknown insects seen along some rural hedgerows a couple of weeks ago. I'm not even sure where to place them (are they moths?!)

Attachments

• salticus_sp.jpg
    salticus_sp.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5195.JPG
    IMG_5195.JPG
    652.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5200.JPG
    IMG_5200.JPG
    711.1 KB · Views: 63
  • yellow-haired_sunfly_1600.jpg
    yellow-haired_sunfly_1600.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 64
  • unknown_insects.jpg
    unknown_insects.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Well, I've decided the hoverfly can't be anything else other than Myathropa florea, but still not certain on the others. I guess they'll need to remain idents at Genus level, or completely unknowns!

Next, a damselfly from the garden last week (in fact, the first damselfly I have seen in our garden). I think this is an Azure Damselfly, Coenagrion puella, based on the U-shaped mark on the abdomen, and thorax markings, but would welcome confirmation or correction. Also, I believe the very pale colour means it is newly moulted - is that right?

Attachments

• garden_damselfly.jpg
    garden_damselfly.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 57
Unfortunately, your photos do not show a clear view of S2 which makes it unlikely that an ID can be confirmed with any certainty IMO!

Shane

Thanks Shane. Do you not think the bottom right photo shows the U-shaped markings? I've copied it at max resolution in this new attachment, and also provide a closer shot of the lower abdomen markings.

Attachments

• garden_damselfly_enlarged.jpg
    garden_damselfly_enlarged.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 64
  • garden_damselfly_enlarged2.jpg
    garden_damselfly_enlarged2.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 68
I think the pattern on S2 plus the fact that you can see a pale line along the rear edge of the pronotum - which wouldn't look like that if was a Variable Damselfly (and you are in the wrong place for Northern or Southern!) would be enough to ID it.

As you thought it is a young individual with reddish eyes and the pale colouration - like the attached.

Attachments

• 7DA_1405.jpg
    7DA_1405.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 52
Thanks! Delighted with that!

Anyone had any ideas about the four earlier species?! I'm especially intrigued by the insects on the stitchwort...

Another random garden species for ID. A small, brightly coloured fly(?) seen on the garden lilies (and next to a large area of raspberry canes).

Attachments

• unknown_insect_garden.jpg
    unknown_insect_garden.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 66
Still no takers for any of the earlier species...?

Well, not to be deterred, here are some more...

First photo, I think, is a Potato Leafhopper

Second, some kind of ichneumon wasp?

Third - a strikingly green-eyed (fruit?) fly

Fourth, a small green mirid bug

And fifth, looks very much like Suilla variegata - it's the only similar-looking species I can find in my insect guide, although I am guessing there are probably dozens of similar species!

Attachments

• 5leafhopper1.jpg
    5leafhopper1.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 4wasp1.jpg
    4wasp1.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 3fly1.jpg
    3fly1.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 2mirid2.jpg
    2mirid2.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 1fly3.jpg
    1fly3.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 55
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back