• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly IDs please (1 Viewer)

Macswede

Macswede
Here are three pictures from my holiday in Finnish Karelia during the second 2 weeks in August.

One is of an empty pupal case (probably not the correct terminology). I have no idea if it's even possible to identify those. I think it's quite a good picture though - unlike the other 2.

The second is of a large egg-laying (I think) female. It was hard to focus on her through the grass. She kept moving from place to place and i didn't want to disturb her.

The third is of a smaller red dragonfly. It was predominately red but the red spots on the wings may be a colour abberation. I'm not sure.

Hope somebody might find it challenging to identify them!

Graham

Attachments

• P1010758.jpg
    P1010758.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 97
  • P1010831.jpg
    P1010831.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 102
  • P1020048.jpg
    P1020048.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 115
Number two is Aeshna grandis (Brown Hawker).

The last one looks like Sympetrum flaveolum (Yellow-winged Darter).

I won't attempt the exuvia.

brianhstone said:

Thanks, Brian,

I found a site that lists all the dragonflies and damselflies to be found at my local patch so I can usually identify those as there aren't so many to choose between. Get a bit confused when I stray further afield though.

Just learned a new work: exuvia !

Graham

Exuvia (singular exuvium??) can usually be identified with the help of a decent ID guide, but probably not from a photo.

Nice photo of the darter.

James

brianhstone said:

Brian,
I had a look on the net for pictures of Yellow-winged Darters and they all looked very yellow.
The red flecks on the wings of the one I posted may be a colour abberation but I remember quite clearly that the dragonfly itself was bright red. I saw some other pictures on one of the sites and wonder if it might be a Vagrant Darter (Sympetrum vulgatum). They're apparently quite common in Sweden though I don't know about Finland.
I am writing from a position of almost total ignorance in the matter so I'm probably completely wrong but I am curious nevertheless.
Graham

brianhstone said:

Feel a bit stupid, Brian. Looked at the picture of the Vagrant Darter and thought it looked much the same as my image - until my better half pointed out the yellow patches on the wings in my photo. Now I know why it's called a Yellow-winged Darter. Still don't understand why mine has a red body though...

Here's another version.

Graham

Attachments

• P1020044.jpg
    P1020044.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Have a look at these - All with red bodies

http://www.naturfotogalerie.de/odonata/02/Symfla01.htm
http://www.warbler.phytoconsult.nl/libellen/Symp_flav.htm
http://www.libellen.nl/europa/pictures/european/sympflavm.html

Paul

Macswede said:
Feel a bit stupid, Brian. Looked at the picture of the Vagrant Darter and thought it looked much the same as my image - until my better half pointed out the yellow patches on the wings in my photo. Now I know why it's called a Yellow-winged Darter. Still don't understand why mine has a red body though...

Here's another version.

Graham

Adey Baker said:
Red is the 'standard' colour for adult male in quite a few Darter species

Thanks Adey,
I'm very much a beginner as far as dragonflies and damselflies are concerned. The only other darter I have identified is a Large White-faced Darter on my local patch. I found a site that listed all the species found there and at other sites in the area so I didn't have so many to choose between. Hope I got it right!
Graham

Attachments

• P1010532.jpg
    P1010532.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 96
There are some excellent websites with pictures of European Odonata such as:
http://fly.to/dragonflies
There's also a yahoogroup called WestPalOdos which might be worth joining if you want more help.
I'm no expert but yours looks very much like Leucorrhinia pectoralis to me. (Excellent photo, by the way!)
Ken

Last edited:
Surreybirder said:
There are some excellent websites with pictures of European Odonata such as:
http://fly.to/dragonflies
There's also a yahoogroup called WestPalOdos which might be worth joining if you want more help.
I'm no expert but yours looks very much like Leucorrhinia pectoralis to me. (Excellent photo, by the way!)
Ken

That's the one I mean, Ken. I found the English name on the Internet. Is it wrong?
I've been using the http://fly.to/dragonflies site by the way. Think it's great. The other one also sounds interesting.
Graham

Macswede said:
That's the one I mean, Ken. I found the English name on the Internet. Is it wrong?
I've been using the http://fly.to/dragonflies site by the way. Think it's great. The other one also sounds interesting.
Graham
Hi, Graham,
I don't really know the answer to that one. I don't think there's an 'official' English name for the species (and who would decide?). I have seen a list of proposed English names, where it is called large white-faced dragonfly, but it has not been accepted by, for example, the British Dragonfly Society, as far as I know. Neither of my ID books gives it an English name. In French it is la Leucorrhine à gros thorax and in German: Grosse Moosjugfer but I don't suppose that helps ;)
BTW There seems to be a claimed English record of the species from 1859!
Ken

Last edited:
Surreybirder said:
Hi, Graham,
I don't really know the answer to that one. I don't think there's an 'official' English name for the species (and who would decide?). I have seen a list of proposed English names, where it is called large white-faced dragonfly, but it has not been accepted by, for example, the British Dragonfly Society, as far as I know. Neither of my ID books gives it an English name. In French it is la Leucorrhine à gros thorax and in German: Grosse Moosjugfer but I don't suppose that helps ;)
BTW There seems to be a claimed English record of the species from 1859!
Ken

Thanks, Ken,
Maybe I should stick to the Latin names in future instread of looking for English names that may not be universally accepted or even understood. After all I do live in Linneus's native land.
Graham

I only have the French edition of d'Aguilar et Dommanget (1998) and it doesn't give an English name. The map shows it as occurring over a large part of southern Sweden.
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back