• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Life in the Undergrowth' transmission date = 23/11/05 (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk

The first episode goes out on BBC1 on 23rd November. The official launch is on 14th Nov. at the Houses of Parliament, apparently.

Last edited:
Attenborough's final 'Life' series

This is David Attenborough's penultimate 'Life' series and it deals with invertebrates from around the world. It follows 'Life on Earth', 'Life in the Freezer', 'Life of Birds', 'Private Life of Plants, and 'Life of Mammals'. The makers used the latest digital camera technology to capture behaviour and species never seen before.

The next 'Life' series will be on reptiles and amphibians.

It will be shown on BBC1.

Last edited:
Don't miss Life in the Undergrowth 23/11 9PM BBC1

Don't miss David Attenborough's penultimate 'Life' series, Life in the Undergrowth. It's due to start on BBC1 at 9pm on Wednesday 23rd November.

The final 'Life' series is already in pre-production and will look at reptiles and amphibians.

Last edited:
I can't wait for it to air, and I'm especially looking forward to Life In Cold Blood! Hopefullu I will get LitU book and DVD for Xmas, I've dropped enough anvils! ;)

Just finished watching first episode and David has done it again. The footage was brilliant, you could run out of superlatives for the programme. Easily the best yet. Can't wait for next episode.

Amazing, incredible, fantastic, superb, a masterpiece, best of the "life" series yet...

I knew that this was going to be a good programme...but I still severely underestimated it! I have to say, the first episode if LitU is THE best documentary I've seen. The footage was fantastic showing amazing detail of the invertebrates and their lives. My favourite was probably the persistant spring-hopper, they were cute and amusing at the same time! I'm never going to look at an insect again in the same way...

Just an edit - definately made up for the Natural World: Cuba that was just bits and pieces from other documentaries, I found that episode highly disappointing!

Silvershark said:
Amazing, incredible, fantastic, superb, a masterpiece, best of the "life" series yet...

I knew that this was going to be a good programme...but I still severely underestimated it! I have to say, the first episode if LitU is THE best documentary I've seen. The footage was fantastic showing amazing detail of the invertebrates and their lives. My favourite was probably the persistant spring-hopper, they were cute and amusing at the same time! I'm never going to look at an insect again in the same way...

Just an edit - definately made up for the Natural World: Cuba that was just bits and pieces from other documentaries, I found that episode highly disappointing!

for me, and this is by reference only to Sir David's own standards, the start was a little slow, first episode build up I guess, but then when we got to the velvet worm and the leopard slugs.....wow. awesome.

Brilliant stuff... although just a tiny bit concerned that some of the "staged" scenes seem a little too obvious... the millipede in the foreground with Sir David in the background is the one that springs immediately to mind.

The Springtail mating dance was amazing!

Oh... and altogether too many legs!!!! Yeuch!!!

Won't stop me watching the rest though - a superb addition to the "Life..." series.

(Does the rest of the world ever get to see these brilliant Natural History programmes?)

birdman said:
(Does the rest of the world ever get to see these brilliant Natural History programmes?)

Yes - The Blue Planet made more than £15m from foreign sales. I believe they go out on discovery in most places.

Well worth the wait!

Listening to various people here at English Nature's HQ, during coffee earlier this morning, I got the impression it was a hit with all, including the entomologists I might add.

I can't wait for the next episode on flight...

Do we say better than episode one or what! Only bugbear for me was the statement that the fossilized dragonfly had a wingspan the same as a seagull. With the figures that Sir david gave the dragonfly had at most a wingspan of 600mm, the little gull wingspan is from 650 mm, therefore where did he get info?

Keith Dickinson said:
Do we say better than episode one or what! Only bugbear for me was the statement that the fossilized dragonfly had a wingspan the same as a seagull. With the figures that Sir david gave the dragonfly had at most a wingspan of 600mm, the little gull wingspan is from 650 mm, therefore where did he get info?

Probably from some birder. Lol.

He also got the fossilised Dragonfly size wrong as well, one known fossil of M.monii has a wingspan of 27.5" which, if I remember my conversions correctly, is 698.5mm.

Harry

Third episode

Next week's episode is on the use of silk by invertebrates with Bolas Spiders and Trapdoor Spiders etc It just gets better with every episode.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back