• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed with bug ID (1 Viewer)

I'll second the recco for Chinery's Insects of Britain & Western Europe, that's what I generally use too. Very good for idents down to family and often genus, and usually a sensible selection of species, illustrating the ones you're most likely to find.

Having said that it doesn't invariably have the most obvious species, for Rhagium (longhorn beetles) it doesn't have Rhagium bifasciatum, the one that Steve Nova posted a query & photo of the other day, even though this is (in my experience) one of the commonest longhorns.

Michael

colin j said:
Try Chinery's Insect of Britian & Western Europe. By far the best all round book.ISBn 0-00219137-7

Looks like sloe bug (Dolycorus baccarum)
of the family Heteroptera that is certain.

What is the leaf it is photographed on?

Colin,
Amazon list a book
Collins Guide to the Insects of Britain and Western Europe
Michael Chinery
Availability: we are currently unable to offer this title. It may be out of stock with the publisher or out of print. If you would like to purchase this title, we recommend that you occasionally check this page to see if it has become available.

Hardcover - 320 pages (28 July, 1986)
Collins; ISBN: 0002191709
but the details don't seem to quite match up. Is this a different title?
Not that it matters immediately as they seem to have run out!!
I was also recommended Chinery's book on butterflies and moths but that seems to be out-of-print, too. So I may be pestering you knowledgeable types on this forum for a while yet!!

Hi Surreybirder,

The paperback edition should be easy to get - I saw it last time I was in Waterstones. That'll have a different ISBN of course.

Michael

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. This is such a helpful forum!
BTW we've got yellow ladybirds in our garden... are they fairly common. The two-spotted variety seem to be our most common (black spots on red) at the moment.

There are two species of Yellow Ladybird. Thea 22-punctata or 22 spot Ladybird & Propylea 14 punctata (14 spot Ladybird)
Both are common. Of Interest the 22 spot feeds on mildews.

Colinj.

According to Natural History Book Service there's a new edition of Chinery due out in 2008--a long time to wait!
Collins Pocket Guide to the Insects of Britain and Western Europe
Michael Chinery

Series: COLLINS POCKET GUIDES
New edition of Chinery's excellent illustrated pocket guide to 2000 of the most commonly found insects in Britain and western Europe.

320 pages, 145 col plates.
Harper Collins
Price GBP 16.99 -Edition 2 IPN 2008 -
Order Code: #128706W Paperback

Bug Seven is the Hoverfly Heliophilus pendulus.

The Potter Wasp sp is not very clear. If you could send me a voucher speciman I could Id it.

The final one is a Green Shield Bug. (Palomena prasina)
very Common.

Family Tenthredinidae or sawflies.

Looks superficailly lik Rhogogaster viridis.

When you are in the realms of sawflies you are looking at 1000 European species.

That is all I can do with this one without an actual Voucher speciman in hand.
Hope this helps

CJ

Hi Colin,

I too find this thread interesting. Thanks for your input.

What is a Voucher specimen - the insect itself??

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back