• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What to put underneath bird feeding station (1 Viewer)

MobiusX

what can I put on the ground (grass) so all of the bird seeds go there and it will be easier for me to pick them up instead of having to raking them (doesn't get all of the seeds out)? Maybe some tent material and cut it out so it can withstand rain or is there something specifically made for this?

Monius
Here is how I cured this problem.

I went to a garden centre (don't know what you call these in the States, they sell plants and gardening tools etc) and I bought two round plastic 'trays'. They are intended as something you can stand a big plant pot carrying a small bush in and you can water the plant and surplus water that runs out of the big pot through the hole in the bottom is retained by the tray.

I drilled holes in both of them all over their surface so rainwater can drain out and I also drilled holes in one of them positioned so I could pull plastic ties through that fasten over the two lowest bird perches on the seed feeder. Not only does this catch debris and loose seeds from the birds feeding, it also enables bigger birds that can't land on the little perches to land on the tray and get some food.
The other tray I used in the same way and fixed it under a 'cage' that holds fat-blocks for other kinds of birds. As well as the water draining holes I drilled another in the very centre so I could put a screw up into a wooden block that has plastic ties passing around it and through the bars of the 'cage'.

Take care to clean all this every couple of weeks and depending on the mess you will need to periodically snip the plastic ties off to clean underneath the seed feeder and the fat-block feeder and its wooden block. I scrape off loose material with a decorating scraper then wipe clean with some antiseptic wipes then dry this off thoroughly with paper towels. The seed feeder needs dunking in warm soapy water but I also wipe the perches with the antiseptic wipes and dry them off.

As a result of these improvised trays we get no mess on the ground (which can attract rats) at all and as I said it means some bird species that can't use feeder perches can get up there to feed. If you can position your feeders near a bush or a hedge your small garden birds will feel more confident because they have cover nearby to dive into if a Sharpie or Coopers comes through the neighbourhood.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if anything unclear.

Lee

what can I put on the ground (grass) so all of the bird seeds go there and it will be easier for me to pick them up instead of having to raking them (doesn't get all of the seeds out)? Maybe some tent material and cut it out so it can withstand rain or is there something specifically made for this?

hi mobius, i think that canvas etc will blow in wind or if pegged down you will have to pull them out all the time to lift it, you need something heavier like carpet. if you dont have a piece of old carpet you like then get this, it is easy to shake off direct into compost or onto concrete so you can sweep it. it is large enough and cheap.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AllGreen...ategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=axCZUQlNnTMtrmB1dLWEFg

Last edited:
the only thing I can do now is rake the seeds but not since I did it several times there is much less grass there and it's dirt around the bird feeding station, 1. How often do I have to pick up these seeds? and 2. Is it safe for the birds to be eating from dirt/mud (when it rains). Using a rake will still leave seeds, I spent like 20 minutes doing this yesterday and always end up with bird seeds mixed with a lot of dirt/mud and grass.

Monius
Here is how I cured this problem.

I went to a garden centre (don't know what you call these in the States, they sell plants and gardening tools etc) and I bought two round plastic 'trays'. They are intended as something you can stand a big plant pot carrying a small bush in and you can water the plant and surplus water that runs out of the big pot through the hole in the bottom is retained by the tray.

I drilled holes in both of them all over their surface so rainwater can drain out and I also drilled holes in one of them positioned so I could pull plastic ties through that fasten over the two lowest bird perches on the seed feeder. Not only does this catch debris and loose seeds from the birds feeding, it also enables bigger birds that can't land on the little perches to land on the tray and get some food.
The other tray I used in the same way and fixed it under a 'cage' that holds fat-blocks for other kinds of birds. As well as the water draining holes I drilled another in the very centre so I could put a screw up into a wooden block that has plastic ties passing around it and through the bars of the 'cage'.

Take care to clean all this every couple of weeks and depending on the mess you will need to periodically snip the plastic ties off to clean underneath the seed feeder and the fat-block feeder and its wooden block. I scrape off loose material with a decorating scraper then wipe clean with some antiseptic wipes then dry this off thoroughly with paper towels. The seed feeder needs dunking in warm soapy water but I also wipe the perches with the antiseptic wipes and dry them off.

As a result of these improvised trays we get no mess on the ground (which can attract rats) at all and as I said it means some bird species that can't use feeder perches can get up there to feed. If you can position your feeders near a bush or a hedge your small garden birds will feel more confident because they have cover nearby to dive into if a Sharpie or Coopers comes through the neighbourhood.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if anything unclear.

Lee

I don't want to plant there and wouldn't use a pot since it's hard and sometimes birds fight and push each other off and last year there were 2 birds dead because of this so landing on a pot would make it unsafe.

get a bag of ready mix concrete, and some mesh. curve or square forms from timber, pour, rake, push mesh in, pour, rake and smooth. an hour. done. or pavers on sand. crazy paving, anything you fancy. even a goldfish pond with a concrete rock in the middle with a hole in for the feeder pole.

chickens? pet rabbit.

I usually let the cast out seeds and hull remain in place. By the time the ground feeding birds and the squirrels get through with the stuff, there is very little left for the mice to clean up as they're making their way into my basement. And what's left after the mice will compost effortlessly into invisibility, if only because the clean up crews have scattered it around so much in an effort to get the last edible bit. Mind you, I'm not feeding whole shell peanuts or anything like that: my largest seed is the sunflower and mostly in black oil varieties, and my lawn looks nothing like a putting green at the best of times.

My approach is about the same as Ruff's. Putting something under the feeders will probably simply kill the grass.

I am thinking about a leaf blower that is also a vacuum. I am wondering if these kinds of vacuums are capable to pick up bird seeds from grass and dirt.

mobiusx we covered all this before in your thread https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=357723

i understand it is a real concern to you but suggest you try something temporary like a bit of vinyl linoleum or similar to see what you need to finally decide before you spend. also try and borrow a rechargeable battery vac because i have used one for similar spills in workshops, when building and on carpets etc and found they work well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back