• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how conscious are birds? (1 Viewer)

jape

assuming there are professional ornithologists here and experienced observers, i would like to ask for serious response, about bird consciousness.

i watched a jackdaw fly across the park alone, no diversions, and off into the distance. it made me wonder where he was off to! i suppose it would depend on a general territory size, seasonal urges, experienced knowledge of food sources, community behaviour and more - but something in his tiny brain said it was time to go from a to b.

i dont presume a soul and many say self-awareness is just for humans with a tinge of it in higher apes and dolphins. apparently tested by if they recognise a 'self' in a mirror.

who knows? however it made me think there is more going on probably than an almist mechanical or instinctive behaviour in birds like that jackdaw. and beyond that, individuals including more companionable types like longtailed tits seem to go off alone, do their thing, then make 'decisions' about what to do next.

i can see a reactive response to random factors within parameters. i.e. time of day and year, go to the food place that has insects, say g'day to females, respond to a shape. a kind of pattern within patterns with a freedom to make individual decisions.

i can see this as even a refined chemical and sensory response. but it doesnt seem mechanical. i am not the kind to wish any human attributes on these creatures, but apart from a cynical reflection that many humans show little consciousness, i wonder if there is any kind of personal awareness in the decision making of birds like the jackdaw - just where was he going, but also, not why, but why dud he decide that, was it a decision?

i would like your ponderings and or knowledge please.

Not sure what you are asking; "consciousness" is a nebulous concept probably best left out of discussions of animal behavior.

assuming there are professional ornithologists here and experienced observers, i would like to ask for serious response, about bird consciousness.

i watched a jackdaw fly across the park alone, no diversions, and off into the distance. it made me wonder where he was off to! i suppose it would depend on a general territory size, seasonal urges, experienced knowledge of food sources, community behaviour and more - but something in his tiny brain said it was time to go from a to b.

i dont presume a soul and many say self-awareness is just for humans with a tinge of it in higher apes and dolphins. apparently tested by if they recognise a 'self' in a mirror.

who knows? however it made me think there is more going on probably than an almist mechanical or instinctive behaviour in birds like that jackdaw. and beyond that, individuals including more companionable types like longtailed tits seem to go off alone, do their thing, then make 'decisions' about what to do next.

i can see a reactive response to random factors within parameters. i.e. time of day and year, go to the food place that has insects, say g'day to females, respond to a shape. a kind of pattern within patterns with a freedom to make individual decisions.

i can see this as even a refined chemical and sensory response. but it doesnt seem mechanical. i am not the kind to wish any human attributes on these creatures, but apart from a cynical reflection that many humans show little consciousness, i wonder if there is any kind of personal awareness in the decision making of birds like the jackdaw - just where was he going, but also, not why, but why dud he decide that, was it a decision?

AFAIK, the much debated “problem of consciousness” has no universally accepted “solution” even in regard to human beings but, that said, there’s no reason at all to my mind that something akin to human “consciousness” (however characterized) isn’t also a feature of non-human brains, at least of brains as complex as those of the "higher" vertebrates. I don’t pretend to be any kind of expert, but I really don’t know if anything more definite can be said on the subject.

Last edited:
Birds ceretainly have no idea off self, otherwise they wouldn't beat themseles senseless against car, wing mirrors etc.

Birds can of course learn, even the dumber ones, they soon figure out where feeders are etc and will stop using them if they stand empty for too long.

The will to stay alive, being sonstantly alert to predators must be consciousness too?

A

Firstly, you need to research the "Mirror Test" a bit more - Birds, including Corvids and Pigeons have passed that test.

IMO you won't get a definitive answer to your question - you'll get guesses, anecdotes, and pseudo-science. I'd say that the question is more philosophical than scientific.

My totally uniformed opinion; all Animals are self-aware, but proving or disproving this requires more intelligence than Humans possess.

(Be aware that someone is bound to bring Religion into this, and this thread will end up in Ruffled Feathers)

thanks all. i am aware of the 'nebulosity' surrounding the concept of consciousness. tgat in itself arouses my interest as it is one of the most important questions about humans for me.

until i started watching birds recently the question of their inner life never concerned me. it is philosophical perhaps and also subjective. but beyond a hobby of ticking boxes, it (subject of birds) interests many. i am interested in what people think of this from any point of view.

i watch them, sometimes they watch me. i have seen them 'learn' and i have seen them use tools. not far from what we apes do!

thanks all. i am aware of the 'nebulosity' surrounding the concept of consciousness. tgat in itself arouses my interest as it is one of the most important questions about humans for me.

until i started watching birds recently the question of their inner life never concerned me. it is philosophical perhaps and also subjective. but beyond a hobby of ticking boxes, it (subject of birds) interests many. i am interested in what people think of this from any point of view.

i watch them, sometimes they watch me. i have seen them 'learn' and i have seen them use tools. not far from what we apes do!

From the quote above, I believe what you are interested in is usually classified under the topic of avian intelligence or bird cognition. There has been a lot of recent research in that area that shows, e.g., that some bird species outperform dogs in complex problem-solving tasks. I'd suggest doing a search on Amazon for those topics. Here's a blurb from one book, "Bird Brain: An Exploration of Avian Intelligence", by Nathan Emery on the U.S. Amazon site (https://www.amazon.com/Bird-Brain-E...d=1521808727&sr=8-3&keywords=bird+cognition):
Birds have not been known for their high IQs, which is why a person of questionable intelligence is sometimes called a "birdbrain." Yet in the past two decades, the study of avian intelligence has witnessed dramatic advances. From a time when birds were seen as simple instinct machines responding only to stimuli in their external worlds, we now know that some birds have complex internal worlds as well. This beautifully illustrated book provides an engaging exploration of the avian mind, revealing how science is exploding one of the most widespread myths about our feathered friends―and changing the way we think about intelligence in other animals as well.

Bird Brain looks at the structures and functions of the avian brain, and describes the extraordinary behaviors that different types of avian intelligence give rise to. It offers insights into crows, jays, magpies, and other corvids―the “masterminds” of the avian world―as well as parrots and some less-studied species from around the world. This lively and accessible book shows how birds have sophisticated brains with abilities previously thought to be uniquely human, such as mental time travel, self-recognition, empathy, problem solving, imagination, and insight.

Written by a leading expert and featuring a foreword by Frans de Waal, renowned for his work on animal intelligence, Bird Brain shines critical new light on the mental lives of birds.

I haven't read this book myself, but have read most of a similar book focusing on australian birds, "Bird Minds" by G. Kaplan.

One recent related personal observation of mine is captured in my photo here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/35716495@N08/40547675661/in/album-72157688330205860/

It shows mutual preening by two White-capped Albatrosses in New Zealand. Each bird was preening the area around the beak of the other bird that the bird itself could not reach. I speculate that this possibly shows both self-awareness and empathy, as well as cooperation; from their own experience each bird possibly realizes that they have a shared problem, and cooperate to solve it.

(For the general question of consciousness, I'd look for entry level discussions in philosophy textbooks on the philosophy of mind as a starting point).

Last edited:
surely the fact that some species, for example albatrosses, are able to identify individuals and find their lifelong mates amongst a colony following several moths apart must demonstrate a certain amount of self awareness?

surely the fact that some species, for example albatrosses, are able to identify individuals and find their lifelong mates amongst a colony following several moths apart must demonstrate a certain amount of self awareness?

The ability to identify another, surely is not 'self' awareness?

A

I just read on somewhere (maybe facebook) from an experiment in which a colorful paint was placed on the Crows shoulder feathers (apparently without crow noticed that). Crow was placed in front of the mirror, which when he was watching himself began to clean himself of the paint.
Scientists thought that was a sign of self awareness. Sorry - I can't remember where this experiment was made.

I'd like to know how many millennia's are "conscious". Fewer than birds, I'd say, looking at the evidence.

At least the birds, conscious or not, are a pleasure to watch. :)

I'd like to know how many millennia's are "conscious". Fewer than birds, I'd say, looking at the evidence.

At least the birds, conscious or not, are a pleasure to watch. :)

Millennials? And, if so, are the older cohorts any better?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back