• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2014 (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Well, we're off again, garden listers. Happy New Year.

Mine will have to wait a couple of days as I won't be there during daylight, so you can all get a head's start.

H

I'd like to join in but as I've said before I don't have a garden and had problems with odd looks and comments last time I did this as I added birds by standing out the front in the car park.

So instead, to avoid wrongful arrest as much as anything, I'll post here a list of the birds seen/heard on or from my city block.

45 species from an hour's walk today (the list is on the 'Jan 1st joint BF effort' thread).

Here's the list so far:

Rainbow Lorikeet.
Pied Imperial Pigeon.
Figbird.
Spangled Drongo.
Mistletoebird.
Olive-backed Sunbird.
Common Mynah.
Varied Triller,
Peaceful Dove.
Yellow Honeyeater.
White-breasted Woodswallow.
Yellow Oriole.
Magpie Lark.
Australian Brush Turkey.
White-bellied Cuckoo Shrike.
Metallic Starling.
Pacific Baza.
Helmeted Friarbird.
Cicadabird.
Rainbow Bee-eater.
Collared Kingfisher.
Radjah Shelduck.
Brown Honeyeater.
Pacific Black Duck.
Feral Pigeon.
Eastern Great Egret.
Emerald Dove.
Willy Wagtail.
Large-billed Gerygone.
Brown-backed Honeyeater.
Little Egret.
Royal Spoonbill.
Little Black Cormorant.
Welcome Swallow.
Magpie Goose.
Australian White Ibis.
Masked Lapwing.
Dusky Honeyeater.
Scaly-breasted Lorikeet
Hardhead - good one this; first on the Lakes for bloody ages.
Darter
House Sparrow.
Spotted Turtle Dove.

And since Jan 1st:

Orange-footed Scrubfowl
Spice Finch
Rose-crowned Fruit Dove - good to get this one so soon.
Brush Cuckoo
Bar-shouldered Dove.

48 species.

Ridiculously, stupidly, horribly hot at the moment. They claim it's only 34C today. I'd estimate that on the ground in Cairns it's at least 40c with high humidity making it sweatier than a Turkish sauna.

I'd like to join in but as I've said before I don't have a garden and had problems with odd looks and comments last time I did this as I added birds by standing out the front in the car park.

So instead, to avoid wrongful arrest as much as anything, I'll post here a list of the birds seen/heard on or from my city block.

45 species from an hour's walk today (the list is on the 'Jan 1st joint BF effort' thread).

Or just practice your ninja birding skills, birding whilst appearing to be doing something else like changing a car tyre/camouflaged as a newspaper stand, that kind of thing ...

I won't rise to the challenge and post my Cornwall list as a proxy for the real thing ( ;) ), not been keeping a list really but did see Blackcap out of the window this morning, and had Grey Wagtail and Black Redstart last week!

Or just practice your ninja birding skills, birding whilst appearing to be doing something else like changing a car tyre/camouflaged as a newspaper stand, that kind of thing ...

I won't rise to the challenge and post my Cornwall list as a proxy for the real thing ( ;) ), not been keeping a list really but did see Blackcap out of the window this morning, and had Grey Wagtail and Black Redstart last week!
Birding in general here is regarded as an um... 'novelty'. Wandering about with bins out the front became a very uncomfortable experience for me as I was approached several times by complete strangers demanding to know what I was doing. The alternative is that I post a list compiled entirely from sitting indoors. In this murderous heat that is quite an attractive option right now, but it won't always be like this; even by our usual summer standards we're having a heat wave.

How far does the block extent from your residence? For flat dwellers, I'd guess the easiest way to stay within the virtually non-existent very loose rules of this thread would be to maintain a list of birds seen whilst within sight of your block (?)

How far does the block extent from your residence? For flat dwellers, I'd guess the easiest way to stay within the virtually non-existent very loose rules of this thread would be to maintain a list of birds seen whilst within sight of your block (?)

"In, from and over" is usually the normal garden listing mantra ( if the word 'normal' relates to anything birders do ). :t:

Chris

"In, from and over" is usually the normal garden listing mantra ( if the word 'normal' relates to anything birders do ). :t:

Chris

I agree, but was offering flexibility for our flat-based chum for Ox - I guess he doesn't get too many species 'in' ...and even 'over' would suppose he's tangling out of the window, probably the ground floor occupants wouldn't appreciate the splat of a Chowchilla as he hit the ground adjacent to their window :)

Last edited:
I agre, but was offering flexibility for our flat-based chum for Ox - I guess he doesn't get too many species 'in' ...and even 'over' would suppose he's tangling out of the window, probably the ground floor occupants wouldn't appreciate the splat of a Chowchilla as he hit the ground adjacent to their window :)

Nice to see someone with a keyboard wors ethan mine. :t:

We can now count species of cow? Not too many of those to be had I guess, although I do have fond memories from the time our maths lesson was disrupted back when a herd of cows broke into the school playground when I was a kid.

;)

I don't know it's exact size but would estimate about half a kilometre by three quarters, though most of it is inaccessible. I was thinking of strictly confining myself to, as Chris says anything seen or heard on or from the block as a way of delineating a strict boundary around my home that is clearly understood by others.

I just thought I'd share the birds around my apartment for a bit of fun; I'll post elsewhere or start my own thread if the general consensus is that this is going to be a big drama. I know how seriously some of you take this.;)

Your list mate ( if it was me I'd include The Esplinade, Kuranda and the bloody Daintree ) :t:

Chris
I'm building up to the idea of a Cairns or Wet Tropics list whenever my mad busy life calms down a bit, but want to include all other living things similar to what AlexC is doing under 'lists'. I was thinking of confining myself to the city block with just the birds but also this hypothetical future list as it denotes clear boundaries even though the 'Nade is only a stone's throw away.

Look, I'll post this elsewhere as I can see it's annoying people. There's your solution right there folks.

EDIT: I've started a new thread here for my city block over in the 'lists' sub-forum for anyone who might be interested.

Last edited:
I guess he doesn't get too many species 'in' ...and even 'over' would suppose he's tangling out of the window, probably the ground floor occupants wouldn't appreciate the splat of a Chowchilla as he hit the ground adjacent to their window :)
Actually my 'garden' list consists of well over 100 species, but I don't work at it as that involves sitting in my study staring out the window. I'd much rather be out in some superb habitat a stone's throw away.

I can't hang out the window either; the fly screens prevent it.;)

Too bad I don't get Chowchillas around my place, they're terrific value!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back