• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short-eared Owls in Perthshire (1 Viewer)

Cuckoo-shrike

I've recently joined the Wildlife in Scotland Facebook site, which seems to attract lots of photographers of a whole range of subjects. Many of the photos on there are extremely good.

I've becoming concerned though about disturbance of presumably breeding birds, in particular Short-eared Owls. There have been multiple posts with close-up photos of birds apparently taken at Sheriffmuir. The name of the site is being widely shared amongst the group so I'm not giving away any secrets.

Allegedly the photos are being taken from the road and if that's the case, then fair enough. Although I don't know the site I'm rather inclined from some of the photos to suspect that this isn't always the case.

Can anyone here who's familiar with the site comment?

I've recently joined the Wildlife in Scotland Facebook site, which seems to attract lots of photographers of a whole range of subjects. Many of the photos on there are extremely good.

I've becoming concerned though about disturbance of presumably breeding birds, in particular Short-eared Owls. There have been multiple posts with close-up photos of birds apparently taken at Sheriffmuir. The name of the site is being widely shared amongst the group so I'm not giving away any secrets.

Allegedly the photos are being taken from the road and if that's the case, then fair enough. Although I don't know the site I'm rather inclined from some of the photos to suspect that this isn't always the case.

Can anyone here who's familiar with the site comment?

Hi Andy,

I am possibly the individual that took the photos of the Short Eared Owls last year in the location mentioned. I can assure you that they were all taken from the road and no approach was made towards any potential nest sites. I was just patient by the road side and the owls came to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back