Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

County Galway Birding (local patch)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.91 average.
Old Tuesday 6th May 2008, 22:11   #276
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

New Mid-Shannon Bird Report

By scanning the callows along the road between Clonfert and Shannonbridge Power Station it is fairly easy to pick out a Whinchat on a post or high up on a grass stem. There is no need to walk on the callow themselves. There are probably a few more birds there than I counted. The whole area is well worth a visit.

On a related topic Stephen Heery is currently compiling a new Mid-Shannon Bird Report (the fourth edition) to cover the years 2004-2007 inclusive.
He would appreciate any bird records people may have from the recording area over the last four years.
The area covered fills a large gap in the centre of the country.
It comprises The River Shannon / Little Brosna callows and the catchment area of the middle River Shannon from Lanesborough in Co. Longford to Killaloe (excluding Co. Clare).
It includes the area west of a line from Nenagh to Roscrea to Tullamore and Mullingar (including the Westmeath lakes and the Slieve Bloom Mts) and east of a line from Woodford to Mountbellew and Glennamaddy (including the Slieve Aughty Mts) I'll post a map at a later stage.
If anybody has any questions about what areas are and are not in the recording area I am happy to answer them. If in doubt please submit the record anyway.

Records can be submitted to me or to Stephen. Please email or PM me for details.
So please dig out those old notebooks and make your sightings count. I can think of some records from this thread from only the last few months.
Thanks
Tom.
Old Tuesday 6th May 2008, 22:37   #277
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsgalway View Post
153 Arctic Skua (Kinvara)

The first Saturday of the month with Tim Griffin yield a strange duck spotted by Brendan Dunne on the slipway at Nimmo's and still there this evening with Mallard who give it a hard time on and of. Looks like Heinz 57 has produced Heinz 58. Possible duck x goose hybrid. Any suggestions.

For those interested in digiscoping the shot attached of the Wheatear was taken with Nikon 82ED + adapter + Coolpix 8400

Very nice Wheatear picture Tom. All the better as it was digiscoped.

That Duck/Goose is one for the BF Identification forum.

Were there many Skuas about do you know?
Old Tuesday 6th May 2008, 23:10   #278
birchall
Brendan Power

Nice digiscoped shot Tom. I feel like giving up.
Old Wednesday 7th May 2008, 10:41   #279
birdsgalway
Tom Cuffe

Tom
The only report I have is the 3 Buzzards still knocking around the the Ballymore area.
Taking to Tim Griffin there were 2 Arctic Skuas one mobbing Sandwich Terns and the other out in the bay.

Brendan
I am three years digiscoping. The reason I posted that shot is the fact I think it is the best shot I have every got from any of my set ups to date and took over 20 shots to get that one. don't give up just yet.

Just up loaded a video of the same Wheatear using the same set up.
http://www.birdforum.tv/action/viewvideo/612/Wheatear/

Tom

Last edited by birdsgalway : Wednesday 7th May 2008 at 10:44.
Old Wednesday 7th May 2008, 13:36   #280
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

Suppose they could just be the Skuas that hang around the bay. A westerly wind would be nice.

Hobby reported yesterday near Loughrea. This link has some details
http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/we...ghting_id=3454

Last edited by Brosnabirder : Wednesday 7th May 2008 at 13:39.
Old Wednesday 7th May 2008, 15:23   #281
John Carey

Sounds like that hobby was in the foot hills of the Aughties.

There is a Galway Branch Atlas outing on Saturday evening at 5 o clock. Meeting at Ballyloughan Car Park. Great opp for anyone who is unsure how to do a square and learn that its not rocket science. Bring a friend!

The more people we get involved with the atlas the better. Our performance in Galway is shoddy and the truth is most of us could do a square.

I am as guilty as anyone so come on lads (and ladies) get involved!

Old Thursday 8th May 2008, 13:44   #282
Neil Sharkey

Bird Atlas

I would like to support John Carey's mention of Saturday's Bird Atlas outing. Those interested in the future of Galway's birds should start thinking 'Bird Atlas' -participation to date has been very poor. Log into www.birdatlas.net or contact Brian Caffrey at [email protected] for further information

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carey View Post
Sounds like that hobby was in the foot hills of the Aughties.

There is a Galway Branch Atlas outing on Saturday evening at 5 o clock. Meeting at Ballyloughan Car Park. Great opp for anyone who is unsure how to do a square and learn that its not rocket science. Bring a friend!

The more people we get involved with the atlas the better. Our performance in Galway is shoddy and the truth is most of us could do a square.

I am as guilty as anyone so come on lads (and ladies) get involved!

Old Thursday 8th May 2008, 18:36   #283
birdsgalway
Tom Cuffe

Neil
Have to agree with yourself and John. I am one of the guilty ones who find it hard to allot time to such a brilliant project. I will be making the effort on Saturday, but won't be there at Ballyloughnane until about 6pm. See you there.
Tom

Ps
Neil just noticed that was your first post. Good to have you on board.

Last edited by birdsgalway : Thursday 8th May 2008 at 18:59.
Old Saturday 10th May 2008, 16:09   #284
John Carey

Not too sure if we bagged this one yet but there was a beautiful pair of Whitethroat at Rusheen park on Saturay morning.

156 Whitethroat

The Sambo Tens were putting on a great show around Nimmos too. Lots of high dives and even some mating- I am not a voyeur either before someone suggests it
Old Saturday 10th May 2008, 21:18   #285
birdsgalway
Tom Cuffe

County List
156 Hobby
157 House Martin

Whitethroat came in at 152 Tim Griffin 6th May at Kinvara. Nice find at Rusheen Park.
Old Sunday 11th May 2008, 17:08   #286
Neil Sharkey

Quote:
Not too sure if we bagged this one yet but there was a beautiful pair of Whitethroat at Rusheen park on Saturay morning.

156 Whitethroat

The Sambo Tens were putting on a great show around Nimmos too. Lots of high dives and even some mating- I am not a voyeur either before someone suggests it
Had a Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler, Willow Warbler and Cuckoo all in one small area of bog at Emone (Caherlistrane area) this afternoon (11 May). Nothing remarkable but nice to get them all together.
Old Monday 12th May 2008, 00:51   #287
birdsgalway
Tom Cuffe

First of the year for me Sedge Warbler and Cuckoo at Menlo and Whitethroat at Rusheen Park. A few pics including female Orange Tip Butterfly all in all a nice weekend and to quote you Neil 'nothing remarkable but nice'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1923 100508.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	139549  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1968 110508.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	139550  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1935 100508.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	139551  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1927 100508.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	139552  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1966 110508.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	139553  

Old Monday 12th May 2008, 09:54   #288
John Carey

Nice shots Tom.

Whitethroat now upgraded to my favourite migrant. Still have to see or hear cuckoo! Will make effort this weekend in Sligo.
Old Monday 12th May 2008, 15:02   #289
Neil Sharkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsgalway View Post
First of the year for me Sedge Warbler and Cuckoo at Menlo and Whitethroat at Rusheen Park. A few pics including female Orange Tip Butterfly all in all a nice weekend and to quote you Neil 'nothing remarkable but nice'.
Tom: The really nice thing was that on getting home I was able to post these as Roving Records on the Atlas website - the map tracer on the site was even able to find 'Emone' for me and give me the square and tetrad location detail - if it can find Emone it will find anywhere! - its a bog in the middle of nowhere.
Neil
Old Monday 12th May 2008, 15:16   #290
John Carey

In at the Deep end!

I have requested the two tetrads on either side of our Galway branch tetrad. I was hoipng that if one or two more took on this 10km square we might get it as a minimum coverage. There is now 3 taken so only 5 left. If someone out there took on another two then who knows, we may even get it covered in one year!

One of those Tetrads I have let myself in for includes Nimmos and the Docks- should you get any private messages from me in the next week or two it may be in the form of begging.........

I have also promised to keep more accurate records from now on to send to the atlas. Have never been one for lists but have found it quite enjoyable. In a quick 2 hour outing on Saturday morning I managed 43 species. Just shows what a trip around Galway City can produce- and I reallly was not trying to hard- Bird Race style pace!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Monday 12th May 2008, 18:20   #291
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

On Friday evening I visited Tower Callow, Banagher. Just on the Galway side of the Shannon.
Best there was a pair of Whinchat. Also Cuckoo, Grasshopper Warbler, Sedge Warbler , drumming Snipe and usual other waders.
Nice place for a summer evening walk. Pretty much a carbon copy of my visit to Bishop's Island last week.
Old Tuesday 13th May 2008, 18:16   #292
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Sharkey View Post
the map tracer on the site was even able to find 'Emone' for me and give me the square and tetrad location detail - if it can find Emone it will find anywhere! - its a bog in the middle of nowhere.
Neil
Hi Neil
What is the map tracer?
I've been using the Google Earth facility on the Roving Records page. Is this it or is there something else on the site I could use? Its probably my ineptitude with computers which has prevented me from finding a better way to do it. Trying to find the correct tetrad is the most awkward part of submitting records for me. I've been putting on records from a good few different tetrads.
Must get on to my own timed tetrads shortly.
Old Tuesday 13th May 2008, 19:58   #293
Neil Sharkey

Hello
Re: Map tracer
If you have registered on line for the atlas (www.birdatlas.net) and call up Roving Records there will be a map of UK/Ireland on the top right hand corner. If you click on this and keep clicking you can 'home' in on your locality. By holding the cursor over your location the square and tetrad will read on the bottom of the little screen. For instance when I point to my address - Ellagh Headford - it will show a location reading of Square IM24 Tetrad N.This is better than usiing Google Earth which, as far as I recall, only reads lattitude and longtitude. Hope this is helpful. Neil
Old Tuesday 13th May 2008, 20:26   #294
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

Quote:
Hello
Re: Map tracer
If you have registered on line for the atlas (www.birdatlas.net) and call up Roving Records there will be a map of UK/Ireland on the top right hand corner. If you click on this and keep clicking you can 'home' in on your locality. By holding the cursor over your location the square and tetrad will read on the bottom of the little screen. For instance when I point to my address - Ellagh Headford - it will show a location reading of Square IM24 Tetrad N.This is better than usiing Google Earth which, as far as I recall, only reads lattitude and longtitude. Hope this is helpful. Neil
Thanks Neil,
Thats the thing I've been using. Its ok but its not always immediately clear from the map where the location for the sighting actually is. For instance Lough Eorna in Tipp is not on the map. Thats usually ok because I've submitted lots of records from there so I know the 10km square and tetrad letter from memory.
The problem arises with sites I don't visit very often. It is usually necessary to go to the part of the web site where tetrads are requested to see the breakdown of 10 km squares and tetrads in the area and then compare this with the OS map in order to be sure that the tetrad letter is correct.
I was just thinking that there must be an easier/quicker way.
Tom

Edit. If the onscreen map on the roving records page was overlaid with the actual 10 km grid (and tetrad grid within that) it would be more useful and make it easier to get the tetrad letter correct.

Last edited by Brosnabirder : Tuesday 13th May 2008 at 20:56. Reason: Addition
Old Tuesday 13th May 2008, 22:30   #295
birdsgalway
Tom Cuffe

Neil its all your fault,you have me uploading to the roving reports on BirdAtlas now.

Heinz 58 is still at Nimmo's putting on a few pounds since the last photo, should be oven ready for Christmas.

Single 1st winter Iceland Gull at the slip way, no sign of the American Herring Gull.

Heard the Peregrine screeching today (location should never be posted)

There is a location near Menlo where I can almost guarantee to hear and see a Cuckoo or two.

EDIT. Thanks to Derek Charles for correcting the ID on the Iceland Gull which is a 1st Winter not a 2nd winter. I'll get it right some day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC4365 130508.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	139876  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC4390 130508.jpg
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	139877  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC4396 130508.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	139878  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1997 120508.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	139879  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2017 130508.jpg
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	139880  

Last edited by birdsgalway : Wednesday 14th May 2008 at 13:06.
Old Wednesday 14th May 2008, 07:44   #296
John Carey

Tom!!!

Where are all the damn cuckoos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That Heinz 57 is a royal pain, suggest capturing it and re-locating it to another county so thay can stress over it, and add it to their county list.
Old Wednesday 14th May 2008, 08:48   #297
Neil Sharkey

I agree that its a bit lacking in detail and a somewaht hit and miss in some situations. It seems to recognise (certain) villages and townlands but not features such as lakes etc. However the tetrad is optional for Roving Reports and most times you should be able at least to locate the 10km square which, it seems, will be the main index for such reports.
Old Wednesday 14th May 2008, 09:22   #298
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

Quote:
I agree that its a bit lacking in detail and a somewaht hit and miss in some situations. It seems to recognise (certain) villages and townlands but not features such as lakes etc. However the tetrad is optional for Roving Reports and most times you should be able at least to locate the 10km square which, it seems, will be the main index for such reports.

Mine is only a minor gripe really Neil. Its a fantastic project. Hopefully will turn out as well as the previous Atlases.

One solution which I'm using for some (often visited) areas is to photocopy the OS map (Ssshh, don't tell the OS) and then mark in the 10km square information and tetrad letters to use as a quick reference.

Some roving records though, like the Yellowhammer I heard singing out of the car window while driving on Saturday in a little visited area, don't justify this approach.

As I said though only a very minor gripe. Great to make the sightings count towards something
Old Wednesday 14th May 2008, 09:55   #299
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

Quote:
Where are all the damn cuckoos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe all the Galway cuckoos have hopped across the bay to the Burren John. Have a look under the heading for yesterday

http://www.clarebirdwatching.com/sca.../may-2008.html
Old Wednesday 14th May 2008, 10:56   #300
breffni

Guys, I need a couple of photos of the stone hide at Rahasane Turlough, ideally from all angles, inside and out. Please send me an email [email protected] if anyone has a few photos. Thanks!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: