• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking For Advice on Binoculars in the $300-500 Price Range (1 Viewer)

gug

Hello,
Just looking for any opinions on bino's in the $300-500us price range. Looking for weatherproof 8x40 or 10x40 roof prism binoculars. Main use will be hunting. Trying to get the best bino for my hard earned money. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
gug

Celestron and Eagle Optics stuff gets good feedback over that side of the pond.

Probably best to go somewhere you can try stuff.

gug said:
Hello,
Just looking for any opinions on bino's in the $300-500us price range. Looking for weatherproof 8x40 or 10x40 roof prism binoculars. Main use will be hunting. Trying to get the best bino for my hard earned money. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
gug

This is a birdwatching site. Perhaps you should ask some of your hunting buddies!

JB.

john barclay said:
This is a birdwatching site. Perhaps you should ask some of your hunting buddies!

JB.
Well said John. I'm guessing there are plenty of web-sites devoted to hunting where gug could get advice more directed towards his interests.

john barclay said:

JB.

Sorry to have bothered you. I do birdwatch and have 8x32's for that purpose. I was just hoping to get some advice on 10x40's so i can view wildlife at greater distance's. I do check out hunting site's aswell. I just thought people who know a lot about bino's could help me out regardless of what purpose they will serve.

I almost posted this 3 hours ago!

***Originally Posted by john barclay
This is a birdwatching site. Perhaps you should ask some of your hunting buddies!JB.***

I think it's a good thing that hunters ask for optics advice here, probably shows that they care which species they target.

'Hunting buddies' may be hard to find in a country as big as Canada - and you don't need 'hunting buddies' to shoot for the cooking pot.

Let's try to keep on the topic, guys!

Cheers,

Andy.

gug said:
Sorry to have bothered you. I do birdwatch and have 8x32's for that purpose. I was just hoping to get some advice on 10x40's so i can view wildlife at greater distance's. I do check out hunting site's aswell. I just thought people who know a lot about bino's could help me out regardless of what purpose they will serve.

I would lilke to throw my voice out to say I have nothing at all against hunters using this site, in fact I appreciate as many people signing in as possible. The hunter vs. birdwatcher mentality is so ridiculous, IMO.

In response to the question,

Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class 8x42 or 10x42 (especially if you hunt out west)

I do work for EO, so my bias is clear.

Jason

The hunting - birdwatching thing is distorted in the UK since to us Hunting means one thing Fox Hunting.

In North America it is a totally different issue.

Anyway the site I sent gug to probably had some useful info on bins from a hunters perspective.

Bill A said:
Hunters can be valuable allies when it comes to conservation issues.

Bill

Take a look at some of the ringing returns from America and below. They obviously look at what they are shooting through their new bins before (some of them) blast them to kingdom come...I don't think so!

Would you welcome hunters from Malta, Corsica, parts of Cyprus, Egypt, etc?..I have a feeling some of you would!

JB.

Every time someone comes here and confesses that they are a hunter, they get jumped on. They know this is a birding site, else why would it be called BirdForum and have little birdies all over the place? But they're entitled to be treated cordially. I know that in my state, these guys are paying for licenses that keep an entire system of refuges operating and free from development. And I go in and watch the birds for free! So lighten up!

Looking for advice on binoculars!

As Curtis said - "LIGHTEN UP"

Have none of his 'attackers' ever heard of Sir Peter Scott?

Let's get this back on track - gug wants a good pair of bins.....

Andy.

Didn't mean to start a debate about hunting, i was just looking for advice on binoculars. Any thoughts on Swift Audubon 10x42 roof prisms for being affordable quality bino's. Anyone heard of europtik binoculars?

gug said:
Didn't mean to start a debate about hunting, i was just looking for advice on binoculars. Any thoughts on Swift Audubon 10x42 roof prisms for being affordable quality bino's. Anyone heard of europtik binoculars?

Hi again Gug, no need to apologise you didn't start a debate.

europtik? nope never heard of 'em.

As I said in a PM its difficult for us Brits to recommend stuff because most mid range stuff doesn't travel. However there was a review by a guy called John Kozak in BWD and based on the few bins I knew something about his thoughts were worth bearing in mind so stuff like Eagle Optics Rangers Plantinum, Cestron Nobles (Regal Ls - outside your price bracket I think) Leupold Windriver Pinnacles and a binocular that is quite popular over here the Opticron Imagic

If you can do try before you buy.

gug, I don't know how far you are from Anacortes, Washington, or how you feel about crossing the border, or what Canadian customs would do to you when they see binoculars you bought in the US ("Ooh! Apples are a no-no in Canada!" is a famous phrase in my family), but Anacortes Wild Bird & Telescope is a big US dealer of these things. You could visit their website at www.buytelescopes.com

Curtis Croulet said:
Every time someone comes here and confesses that they are a hunter, they get jumped on. They know this is a birding site, else why would it be called BirdForum and have little birdies all over the place?

Need I say more?

JB.

john barclay said:
Curtis Croulet said:
Every time someone comes here and confesses that they are a hunter, they get jumped on. They know this is a birding site, else why would it be called BirdForum and have little birdies all over the place?

Need I say more?

JB.

No doubt this will get deleted as well: I have mailed my friends in Israel, Corsica, Malta, Cyprus, Egypt..etc re the hunting thread and just told them to 'lighten up' what's the problem!!!!
JB.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back