• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you clean your camera lenses? (1 Viewer)

senatore

I am sure this has been asked many times but my telephoto lens looks a little dirty and needs a clean.How do you clean yours?

Max

A few blasts with a Rocket (lens held upside down) to remove any sand, grit and the like, then a very gentle wipe with a clean lens cleaning cloth.

Lens cleaning

senatore said:
I am sure this has been asked many times but my telephoto lens looks a little dirty and needs a clean.How do you clean yours?

Max

airosol air can, and something called a lens pen. It has a brush at one end and a pad (with cleaner in it) on the other, very good about €8 I think. Got it from a camera shop.

All the best

Stephen Christopher
www.catalanbirdtours.com

Stephen C said:
airosol air can, and something called a lens pen. It has a brush at one end and a pad (with cleaner in it) on the other, very good about €8 I think. Got it from a camera shop.

All the best

Stephen Christopher
www.catalanbirdtours.com
I have a lens pen ,but how long does the cleaner inside last as mine is 2 years old?

bobwoodcock said:
I have a lens pen ,but how long does the cleaner inside last as mine is 2 years old?

I'm not sure how long they are supposed to last, but personally I never got on well with mine. It didn't seem to be a very good system, so I've reverted to a blower brush and lens cloth.

rezMole said:
I use lens wipes (a new one for each piece of glass) and a drop of sensor cleaning fluid.

By sensor cleaning fluid do you mean something like Eclipse fluid ??
If so I'm not sure Methanol is good for lens coatings.

Chris Oates said:
By sensor cleaning fluid do you mean something like Eclipse fluid ??
If so I'm not sure Methanol is good for lens coatings.

Eclipse is marketed as a lens cleaning fluid, and is the recommended lens cleaner for Tokina and Hoya. So these companies at least don't have any concerns about its use for lens cleaning.

What exactly do you think methanol is going to do to the lens coating?

martin

Surely Methanol would damage the lens coatings,personally I use a rocket blower then breathe on the lens & wipe off with a lens cloth.

Steve.

The Hama Lenspen without doubt the best item for cleaning Scopes, Binoculars and Digital cameras. Canon are supposed to use them in their repair centres. Go into Warehouseexpress click on digital and on LHS click on accessories (misc) then click on cleaning eqpt. Then click on lens cleaning. Hama Lenspen £8.99. Artie Morris at Birdsasart.com highly recommends them here www.birdsasart.com/lenspens.htm.

However if you do buy one of these and want to clean your sensor with a Lens Pen, it is vital that you open the Lens Pen and then tamp (not rub) the tip of the Lens Pen on the micro-fiber cloth about 10-20 times (fairly gently) until only a tiny bit of graphite is evident on the cloth. Do not be tempted to rub the graphite off as this may dislodge the tip of the Lens Pen. The graphite that comes off on the micro-fiber cloth will not hurt your lens the next time you clean it because the graphite is designed to clean lenses.

www.peregrinesbirdblog.blogspot.com

stevo said:
Surely Methanol would damage the lens coatings,personally I use a rocket blower then breathe on the lens & wipe off with a lens cloth.

Steve.

I'm ~100% certain that lens coatings are magnesium fluoride. In which case they will be completely unaffected by methanol, so suggestions that Eclipse (or any other methanol-based lens cleaning fluid) will damage your lens coatings are ill-informed.

martin

Last edited:
stevo said:
Surely Methanol would damage the lens coatings
Surely methanol does *not* damage the lens coatings - it is a very good (but toxic!) lens cleaner.

Ilkka

EDIT: So I agree with Martin ;)

Just want to mention that I find "microfiber" lens cloths MUCH more effective than lens tissue/paper. Really removes the filmy haze that seems to appear on lenses sometimes if you look at them in the right light.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back