• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Only one White Winger (1 Viewer)

birdsgalway

Tom Cuffe
White wingers are scares this year. Thinking back to this time last year @ Nimmo's there were up to 17 Iceland 3 Glaucous 4 Kumlien's including the well marked adult. At Rosaveal there were 10 Iceland 3 Kulmien's. Anyone got any theories why only one 1st winter Iceland this year between the two sites.

Hi Tom,

Its a hard one to call. In general there seem to be poor numbers of "white wingers" around the country with small numbers around the country in regular spots. Here in cork I have had 1 kumliens, 1 1st year iceland and 1 1st year glaucous gull (see image here http://corkdudeing.blogspot.com/2010/01/am-i-in-closet.html) in the east cork area. I have heard of Glaucous (regular winterer) in cobh and an Iceland down west cork. Numbers would'nt normally be much higher for this particular county.

Else where numbers have been very poor, I dont think donegal has done too well, 1 or two birds in kerry at cahirciveen, and 1 iceland and glauc in the dublin area. Havent heard of any in louth. Other counties tend to be pretty poor historically anyway. Am unsure if any are in the belfast area.

In general the closure of dumps and sewage outflows around the country has had a negative impact on northern gull numbers over the years (also affecting the number of Ross's gull records in galway bay ;) ), with the main numbers of white wingeds i have seen being near active landfills, fish factories and sewage outflows, or tidal fish kill/shell fish wash up events.

Despite that there have been some years where northern gull numbers have been reasonable, and one can only assume that some sort of food or breeding related issue is affecting them this year that results in low numbers nationally.

Owen

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back