• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Etymology sub-forum (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Whilst it might be a good idea to start a sub-forum for those discussions specifically limited to etymology, many of the threads that have been transferred are actually more concerned with systematics and taxonomy, and it would be more appropriate to keep them in the main forum. eg, Kaempfer's Woodpecker, Tyto almae, Rhynocryptidae, Thamnophilidae, Black-browed Reed Warbler, Eudocimus, Fenwick's Antpitta...

PS. Threads appear to have been transferred because they include the word 'etymology', which is too simplistic an approach.

Last edited:
Hi Richard

To transfer the threads is quite simple... ummm... but knowing which ones should be moved is completely beyond me (not sure about the other Mods though).

If you could help out by flagging up which ones you think should be moved to the main Taxonomy Forum (preferably with the link), we can have a go at it.

The threads were suggested by the member who wanted this new forum... I didn't move some of the suggestions as even I could see they were only vaguely related to the title of this forum.
However, if the public demand for this subforum isn't forthcoming, or etymology aspects are so intertwined with general taxonomy that separation is often unrealistic, then I can easily remove it.
Some threads have now been moved back.
regards,
Andy

Delia, Andy.

Thanks for moving back those that I suggested. I appreciate that it's not easy without a definite list!

I'd suggest also moving back:
A question for ICZN/taxonomy gurus
Chionidae or Chionididae ?

I think that all taxonomy threads started by Susan Manchester, James Jobling or Calalp concern etymology, and could be transferred to the new sub-forum:
www.birdforum.net/search.php?searchid=14256525
www.birdforum.net/search.php?searchid=14256532
www.birdforum.net/search.php?searchid=14256519

I'm sure that others could suggest some more...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back