• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile blackbird breeding (1 Viewer)

Geoff WORCS

On 17th June I saw a juvenile blackbird collecting nesting material. I can't find any info. on such behaviour. Has anyone else seen a 1st calender year blackbird attempting to breed?

Attachments

• _20190706_111847.JPG
    _20190706_111847.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 127
Perhaps helping its parents with a later brood? Don't know about blackbirds, but hasn't similar behaviour been recorded in other species?

Perhaps helping its parents with a later brood? Don't know about blackbirds, but hasn't similar behaviour been recorded in other species?

Yes that's a good point, I've heard of that behaviour too but didn't consider it in thus instance. Thank you.

Did you observe this individual repeatedly collecting material and building a nest? Could be an inquisitive and one off action. Either way, interesting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back