• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cork birding (1 Viewer)

On Sun morning I saw two kingfisher (river kingfisher) at the river Lee in the area of the old powder mill in Ballincollig. Are these common birds in Ireland?

Jorg

On Sun morning I saw two kingfisher (river kingfisher) at the river Lee in the area of the old powder mill in Ballincollig. Are these common birds in Ireland?

Jorg

Hello Jorg,
Kingfishers are relatively common and widespread in Ireland, though, with the Breeding Atlas taking place, records of any breeding species (particularly notable ones) are much appreciated: see http://www.birdatlas.net for more details on how to submit records.
In addition, it would be great if you could send any records of birds seen in Co. Cork to the Cork Bird Report in due course. I can give you contact details via PM if you are interested?
Regards,
Harry

Any details on the golden oriole and ortolon bunting found on dursey?

I see west cork has a bit of a fall with 2 Subalpine Warblers, Ortolan Bunting, Woodchat Shrike and Short toed lark at Mizen all seen by Dan Ballard! Golden 'O' and Turtle Dove on Cape Clear. Just in time for my four night stay from tomorrow. Surely this must be one of the best springs in living memory for passerines on the south coast?

Last edited:
Depends on your point of view peter. Yes a good number of migs to be sure.But theres little quality in it really (Stuff you would expect!). What we need is a nice sardy or specy to pop up on Knockadoon to clinch that title!

Pariah

Depends on your point of view peter. Yes a good number of migs to be sure.But theres little quality in it really (Stuff you would expect!). What we need is a nice sardy or specy to pop up on Knockadoon to clinch that title!

Pariah

What is a sardy or specy ???????????????????? It does not take much effort to type the correct names. Thanks in advance.

That would be them yes.Mizen did well last week!Some nice bits and pieces there. It certainly has been an enjoyable spring. This weekend put me on over 200 for my yearlist. Ive never hit 200 this early in the year before (and didn't even bother going north for fudge (thats ferruginous duck tom) and barrows goldeneye.

The Oracle of UCC has predicted a Red footed falcon....Ballyvergan I reckon is the place to be watched there!That would be a long overdue catchup!

Pariah

Just back from four nights on Cape. No 'big bird' but 3 Turtle Doves 2 Garden Warblers a Reed Warbler and a spring Icterine Warbler were worth the trip down. No shots of the Icky unfortunatly, but the Reed Warbler posed for a few shots.
1st winter Iceland Gull at Rosscarberry.

Attachments

• Icelandgull.JPG
    Icelandgull.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Raven.JPG
    Raven.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Turtledove.JPG
    Turtledove.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Reed2.JPG
    Reed2.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 82
  • reed3.JPG
    reed3.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 92

Hi jorg,

Just saw this post and said i'd reply. I have seen a pair of Kingfishers quite regularly in the Regional Park in Ballincollig. They are mainly seen along the canal close to the old rugby pitches. You usually will hear them and then see a flash of blue zipping by.

The regional park is a great spot for seeing birds at the moment. I was there this weekend and saw lots of finches - gold/green/chaff as well as a couple of bull finches. There was the usual Robins, blackbirds ,song and mistle thrushs as well as the 4 species of the tit family. Also at the moment there are lots of goldcrests (hard to see but can be heard) as well as chiffchaffs. Trrecreepers can be seen also. I was lucky enough to see a little egret fishing along the river. That is the first time i've seen them there. There are also Jays in the park but have only seen them once last summer but if you keep an eye out you might be lucky. Hope that is of some help to you.

Regards

1 sabine's gull, 1 great shearwater, 2 sooty shearwater, 1 bonxie, 2 arctic skuas, 2 pomarine skuas, 31 arctic terns,15 puffins and 2 common scoter Off galley on the 9th of July.
Nice little evening haul for the Galley crew.

Owen

Saturday off galley head, cork.
07.00 - 17.00

162 Corys Shearwaters
13 great shearwaters
8 Sooty Shearwaters
50 storm petrels
and a scattering of bonxies, arctics and pom skuas.

Adult bairds at Ballycotton too. County tick!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back