• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go in Ireland in August? (1 Viewer)

jdtardos

Hi,

I am from Spain and I am planning to go on holidays with my family in Ireland this august. I am eager to read suggestions of good places for watching the local specialties. My family (wife, and kids 18 and 15 years) are not into birdwatching, so I am planning to escape by myself a couple of days of "hardcore" birding. But I would appreciate also some suggestions for some place for "nice" birding to bring them along. Puffins would be great!.

Suggestions of "where to go" books, maps and places to stay are also welcome.

If you can offer a house to rent for one or two weeks close to a good spot, send me a private message. I can also offer a home swap in Sierra de Guara, Spain (with Lammergeier, Egyptian and Griffon Vultures, Red and Black Kites and Short-toed Eagle easily seen from the backyard).

Cheers,
Mingo

Hi Mingo,

My first suggestion would be to get your hands on this book.
http://birdsireland.com/pages/site_pages/features/findingbirds.html

It will give you all the latest information on where to watch birds in Ireland.

It all really depends on where you are going to be in the country, but in general August is right in the middle of the seawatching season, so my top recommendation would be to get to the Bridges of Ross in County Clare and enjoy the many seabirds passing by (including puffins). A telescope is essential for this activity.

As for family birding...there are many areas of the coast which are scenically fantastic with various tourist options, in particular the west clare coast and the dingle peninsula (kerry) offer amazing scenery, with excellent restaurants and accommodation abundant as well as activities such as surfing, horseback riding etc which can keep family amused whilst you sneak off somewhere.

Other than seawatching, I am afraid you will find birding in August here rather quiet, some seabird colonies will still hold breeding birds, but land birds will be few and far between and nothing compared to what you have going for you in spain.

So I really would push the seawatching aspect.
Other than the Bridges of Ross, other good seawatching watchpoints along the west and south coasts include Brandon head (Kerry), Annagh head (Mayo), Kilcummin head (Mayo), Mizen head (Cork), Cape Clear Island (Cork) and Galley Head (Cork).

Migrating waders could also be a possibility at this time (though not as numerous as september) and the book linked above can tell you where to look for these also.

Regards

Owen

If in the Kerry area Skellig Island is worth a visit for a family day out(and some birds).Its a pretty spectacular place.

I think Puffins can be seen there until mid august. Also there is a huge Gannet colony and other seabirds.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back