• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zealand Snipes (1 Viewer)

Thanks Melanie.
Our Opus entry mentions C. a. barrierensis as belonging in this group as well, but the paper does not seem to mention those. Is that considered an extinct form as well?

thanks
Niels

Thanks Melanie.
Our Opus entry mentions C. a. barrierensis as belonging in this group as well, but the paper does not seem to mention those. Is that considered an extinct form as well?

thanks
Niels

Yes, both barrierensis and iredalei are considered as extinct.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding something here (I can't see the second paper) but I don't think snipes from North Island are being discussed here.

The recent split is between populations of snipes from the south, all previously included in New Zealand Snipe:

iredalei from Stewart Island (extinct since the 1960's)
huegeli from Snares Island
aucklandica from Auckland, Campbell & Antipodes Island

& it confirms that Chatham Island Snipe (pusilla) are a distinct species

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back