• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identification of Butterfly Please (1 Viewer)

Lancey

Dear all,
The butterfly photographed below had become trapped in the garage today and I have just released it into the wide blue yonder. I'm not a butterfly enthusiast, but the wings were ornate enough for me to recognise it as something unusual, at least to me. I live in a suburb in the SE of London if that adds anything to the sighting.

Could you identify it for me please and give me an indication of its status.

Thanks for your help,
Lancey

Attachments

• butterfly 001.jpg
    butterfly 001.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 186
  • butterfly 002.jpg
    butterfly 002.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 208
A lovely looking Comma Lancey.

I've noticed more of them around over the last few years, even up north. I haven't seen any yet this year though. Usually they appear in decent numbers once the Buddleas come into flower - pretty soon now.

Thanks

Marmot and Ian F,
Thanks for your quick identification of this butterfly. I wondered if it might have been something exotic what with it's ornately shaped wings - but a Comma is new for me anyway.

Thanks again,
Lancey

I just love seeing Commas!
Me too. I had the first this year in the garden today.

Slightly off topic. My wife and I went to Lydden Temple Ewell near Dover yesterday. Clouds of Chalkhill Blue's plus Common Blue, Marbled White, a few Silver-spotted Skipper and a few others. Camera was working overtime. Apparently the Adonis will be about in a week or so.

Well worth a visit.

robinm said:
Clouds of Chalkhill Blue's plus Common Blue, Marbled White, a few Silver-spotted Skipper and a few others. Camera was working overtime. Apparently the Adonis will be about in a week or so.
A real treat that is! Yesterday I was 'butterfly walking' and there was a Silver-washed Fritillary harassing a mating pair! Seem to be loads of Silver-washed Frits about in all the woods right now.

Andrew said:
A real treat that is! Yesterday I was 'butterfly walking' and there was a Silver-washed Fritillary harassing a mating pair! Seem to be loads of Silver-washed Frits about in all the woods right now.

Lucky you Andrew, there hasn't been a Silver-washed Fritillary in my neck of the woods since the mid 1800's.

Harry

Harry,

Like buses. I was told of one at Aylesbury Common and went to find some. Got a brief glimpse as a lifer then a few days later at Yarner with Grousemore I could have touched them. Then the woodland walk yesterday and that harassing fritillary. Rest assured, I consider myself lucky.

It is amazing to think the upper wing (just one half) is the same size as a Small Copper. That is striking to me as they are two of my faves!

Andrew said:
Harry,

Like buses. I was told of one at Aylesbury Common and went to find some. Got a brief glimpse as a lifer then a few days later at Yarner with Grousemore I could have touched them. Then the woodland walk yesterday and that harassing fritillary. Rest assured, I consider myself lucky.

It is amazing to think the upper wing (just one half) is the same size as a Small Copper. That is striking to me as they are two of my faves!

Ah well,
I suppose I'll just have to put up with looking at my two resident Fritillaries, the Small-pearl Bordered and the Dark Green. However I'm quite smug in the knowledge that you aren't going to see a Large Heath anywhere in your vicinity, whereas I know where I can see them by the hundred. In fact I saw several hundred just today, and I have a witness as well. Lol.

Harry

Lancey said:
Dear all,
The butterfly photographed below had become trapped in the garage today and I have just released it into the wide blue yonder. I'm not a butterfly enthusiast, but the wings were ornate enough for me to recognise it as something unusual, at least to me. I live in a suburb in the SE of London if that adds anything to the sighting.

Could you identify it for me please and give me an indication of its status.

Thanks for your help,
Lancey

Hi Lancey,
The Comma was well distributed over most of the British mainland and southern Scotland until the late decades of the 1800's. For some reason it then declined rapidly until it could only be found in one or two counties on the English/Welsh Border. Since the 1920's it has again expanded it's range. It returned to Northumberland as a breeding species in the mid 1990's and is now found all over southern Scotland again and has been seen further north than Edinburgh. Several other species of butterfly have moved their known range northwards in the past 40 years as have several Dragonfly species. E.G. The Emperor Dragonfly was unknown north of the Wash as late as 1990 yet it is now breeding in Northumberland, Durham and Yorkshire and there are many sightings of it from southern Scotland.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back