• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip report posted (1 Viewer)

Back about 10 days from a short trip to the Sarapiqui area, I just posted a trip report

Thanks for a nice report. It's certainly gratifying to know that a friend can find Sunbittern even if I can't! You mentioned it for Heliconia Island, but am wondering if you may have also encountered it at the presumably reliable Selva Verde (I say "presumably" because I've been there & it's still my top nemesis bird).

Gary H

Hi, Gary -

We saw it on one of the waterways that forms the triangle that is Heleconia Island. I was told the name but neglected to make a note. It was not actually seen from Heleconia Island but from the neighborhood adjacent to it, about 100 meters from the Lodge entrance. The sighting was on our last afternoon in Sarapiqui. The bird was foraging but moving rapidly upstream. I had to trot to keep up and try not to spook it while getting a camera angle through the stream side vegetation. Though it was our first Sunbittern, I chose not to include the poor photo I ended up with. But, you force my hand, Texan! Know I am gloating while you view it! B :)

Steve

Attachments

• Sunbittern.jpg
    Sunbittern.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 45
Though it was our first Sunbittern, I chose not to include the poor photo I ended up with. But, you force my hand, Texan! Know I am gloating while you view it!

Steve: I beg to differ regarding the merit of your photo! Congratulations. Regarding the gloating, I probably should have been a bit less vocal about that White-ringed Flycatcher in Manzanillo!

Gary H

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back