• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conquest HD eyecup issue question (1 Viewer)

CSG,
I understand, but I still wonder why this issue is NEVER mentioned as being a problem or concern in the dozens and dozens of other on-liner retailers websites under user reviews? You just dont see this issue being discussed at all!

Honestly most optics retailer reviewers appear to know so little about what they are doing that other than parts that fall off they wouldnt know if they had a problem or not.

The eye relief problem is very real, if you wear glasses, it's not much of an issue, dont wear glasses and it's a struggle. You need to look through a pair before you decide it's much ado about nothing.

I am sure it is not nit-picking for those that have the problem.

When you consider the contours of the human face around the eyes, including eye-brows (not the hairs, the bony bit), cheek bones, nose and lord knows what else and throw the different spectacle frames and lenses into the mix, its amazing that only a few people experience problems.

Remember, its usually not the case that the ER / eyecup combination is 100% right or 100% wrong and by that I mean it suits every single person that picks up the bins or it suits absolutely none of them, its whether this combination suits the majority of people.

I am sure every manufacturer gets complaints about this in relation to every model of bins they make, because I am certain it is impossible to make bins fit everybody's face and their spectacles.

Lee

You guys may be right, I should not have used the term "nit picking". Im sure it is a problem....BUT it must be
a issue for a VERY, VERY small percentage of users judging for all the overwhelming positive reviews with VERY
little, if any, mention of this , except in this forum!

I may pick up a New In Box Nikon Monarch 7 10 x 42, if not....it will be either the Zeiss Conquest HD, Vortez Razor HD or Zen Ray Prime HD....all in the 10X power.

Last edited:
You guys may be right, I should not have used the term "nit picking". Im sure it is a problem....BUT it must be
a issue for a VERY, VERY small percentage of users judging for all the overwhelming positive reviews with VERY
little, if any, mention of this , except in this forum!

I may pick up a New In Box Nikon Monarch 7 10 x 42, if not....it will be either the Zeiss Conquest HD, Vortez Razor HD or Zen Ray Prime HD....all in the 10X power.

It's easy to pick nits when you just spent $1,000 on a pair of binoculars you cant see out of. LOL

Having both the prime and the conquest I will say qued nailed it with the clunky description. The binoculars theirself are outstanding and for me the eye cups are a non issue. I usually pull them out to what I need with my glasses and there they stay.

Zen Primes are great in the optics department, really really good. They feel solid and are very comfortable to use. They fall down on the little things, like my serial number tag fell off. Fortunately I found it, and reglued it back in. The focus isnt quite as smooth as the Conquest, and the rubber armor had a slight smell that still lingers but is much less than when I first got them. Eye cups are better on the Prime.

I wouldnt feel badly using either one for the rest of my days.

I wouldnt say the made in Germany is overplayed, it does cost more upfront but if you were to need to sell one down the road, made in Germany commands a bit more respect than made in China. With Zeiss, you can be pretty sure the company will be operating a long time down the road. As for Zen Ray, Vortex, Alpen, Endeavor and many others who market optics, if things go south with China at some point they may well close their doors. At that point the warranty becomes a moot point.

The warranty is only as good as the company who stands behind it. Currently, Zen is excellent from what I hear. But 20 years from now? You pays your money, you takes your chances.

perterra, I am in the market now for a new set of 10 x 42 binoculars, these are the two that I have limited it down to (Prime and Conquest HD). In your opinion, how do they compare optically? How about at low light? Any distortions in either glass?

Thanks!

I look tonight after dark for low light, to me the Conquest has a slightly better center sharpness, the Prime is better with edge sharpness. They are so close to equal it's a hard call. No distortsion in either glass that I can see.

perterra, I am in the market now for a new set of 10 x 42 binoculars, these are the two that I have limited it down to (Prime and Conquest HD). In your opinion, how do they compare optically? How about at low light? Any distortions in either glass?

Thanks!

No difference that I can see in low light. It really comes down as to what you want in your glass. Where you see the value. If I was in a position where the extra $300 would cause me some financial discomfort I wouldnt bat an eye at buying the Zens, but if I was looking at them as a long term investment I would lean toward the Zeiss.

With Zeiss you can be pretty sure where they will stand in 20 years by looking at where they were 20 years ago.

Zen Ray markets a really excellent binocular, one they should be proud of, Zeiss makes an excellent binocular, one they should also be proud of. It's up to you to decide whether the market or makes matters most.

CSG,
I understand, but I still wonder why this issue is NEVER mentioned as being a problem or concern in the dozens and dozens of other on-liner retailers websites under user reviews? You just dont see this issue being discussed at all!

Can't tell you. All I know is they were a problem for me on two occasions and Zeiss acknowledged the issue by making replacement eyecups.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back