• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meadow Pipit/ Tree Pipit - Cleeve Hill, Glos., UK Today (1 Viewer)

AlanR

Bird photographer
United Kingdom
Ok, at the risk of being shot down here's another query about a little brown bird.
I saw this bird today on Cleeve Hill - a large open common area at the top of the Cotswolds. At first I thought it was a Wheatear but the pictures look like Pipits. I've looked at the books again and I can't find any way to clearly distinguish whether it's a Meadow Pipit or a Tree Pipit. It was determined to sing from the top of a wall. If I approached it flew off to another bit of wall not far away. The sound was a constant repeated tick tick. [There were actually two of them but hardly ever together on the wall.]
I'm veering towards Meadow but can anyone confirm it as Meadow or Tree Pipit, please?
I don't mind if it's something else.
Alan

Attachments

• __Pipit1.JPG
    __Pipit1.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 252
  • __Pipit2.JPG
    __Pipit2.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 185
  • __Pipit3.JPG
    __Pipit3.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 213
  • __Pipit4.JPG
    __Pipit4.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 225
  • __Pipit5.JPG
    __Pipit5.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 168
Very difficult pair to separate, Alan, but with practice this is a straightforward Meadow Pipit. Have a search through old ID threads on the two for all the useful separartors.

And don't fear shooting down - I for one am happy to answer any posts.

Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back