• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss HT's in 8 & 10x54 (1 Viewer)

Thanks Samandag.

I have never hunted from a highseat as they aren't used here. I would prefer 8x32's but they haven't got the light gathering. Great for daytime use though.

Generally, I'll fly camp up near a ridge and glass clearings on the opposite faces. The deer quite often won't emerge until near dark although in some of the more remote places they may be out anytime of the day. There's always a chance that a helicopter on venison recovery will come zooming in and ruin the hunt though.

An example, even though the country isn't anywhere as steep as some of the places we hunt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g1ZC24CT8g

Sako,

You do this for fun??

Jan

Sako,

I don't believe that would be allowed anywhere in the United States.

Even on a "canned" hunt.

Bob

Sako,

You do this for fun??

Jan

:eek!: My fault for not explaining myself correctly. I was attempting to demonstrate what sometimes happens when walking into some back of beyond place. I don't hunt from helicopters. Those guys are doing it for a living as they sell the carcasses which are generally headed for Germany. Incidentally, consider that they are head or neck shooting the running deer from a moving helicopter in tricky downdraughts, their skill at what they do is amazing. Very dangerous though.

It's quite annoying after hiking all day or for a couple of days, with all your gear, to get to some place to hunt and have a chopper come screaming in, shooting the place up.

Sitting up on a ridge or the side of a hill and glassing for game in the evenings, a high quality pair of binoculars is a huge advantage. It's surprising the amount of wildlife one sees. I especially love watching the native bush falcons and how they glide and hover and swoop.

I use Victory 10x42 HT's and love them. I have a steady hand, trained from years of competitive target shooting so prefer 10x. Also, usually always sitting when glassing. I prefer the feel and handling of my older Leica Ultravids 10x42's to the Zeiss though. However, the HT's are superior in the evenings and on dull days.

As I attempted to explain earlier to Jablihunter, weight is everything when you have to carry it for long distances in the back country. Especially so when in mountainous terrain a lot more rugged and steep than depicted in the helicopter video.

I'm sure the Victory HT 8x54 (once sorted of apparent problems) would be a tremendous boon for low light viewing providing the extra weight is not a problem. Not my video but gives you an idea what sort of country I'm talking about. Probably quite similar to Austria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fDExtbyB_Q

The new Victory SF look like a superb bin for general use. I hope Zeiss bring out an 8x32 SF.

To be fair to sako I'm sure his intention was simply to illustrate the terrain and conditions and thanks very much for that.

Invasive species management programs (and those most certainly include deer) are far more advanced in the Antipodes than they are in Europe, from Government level downwards, and it is wholly regretable that those involved still have to endure ignornance, predudice, diffidence and occasionally derison from external commentators, especially those who may otherwise be intelligent and interesting people.

Looking at the terrain, sako, it is easy to see why you are a gram-counting backpacker ;). All that scree, so different from here ! And it must be frustrating to be limited to one set of bins on a trip.

I use an 8x32 on bright sunny days, although occasionally the extra magnification of a ten would be useful where identification at distance is a priority.

Something practical that controls glare and enhances resolution when glassing west-facing grassland would be a real bonus, but that is unlikely to be a Zeiss for me.

Best wishes,

Thank you Samandag.

I would very much like a pair of 8x30's for daytime use in areas not too far from the road end and for general use. I was examining a Swarovski 8X32 EL at a local store recently and thought the image quality was very good. My favourite riflescope is my Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 and I like it's clarity and colour balance. On Thursday this week when I'm in Auckland I'll be trying some Leica Ultravid HD 8X32's.

It's good to have choices albeit expensive ones.

To be fair to sako I'm sure his intention was simply to illustrate the terrain and conditions and thanks very much for that.

Invasive species management programs (and those most certainly include deer) are far more advanced in the Antipodes than they are in Europe, from Government level downwards, and it is wholly regretable that those involved still have to endure ignornance, predudice, diffidence and occasionally derison from external commentators, especially those who may otherwise be intelligent and interesting people.

Looking at the terrain, sako, it is easy to see why you are a gram-counting backpacker ;). All that scree, so different from here ! And it must be frustrating to be limited to one set of bins on a trip.

I use an 8x32 on bright sunny days, although occasionally the extra magnification of a ten would be useful where identification at distance is a priority.

Something practical that controls glare and enhances resolution when glassing west-facing grassland would be a real bonus, but that is unlikely to be a Zeiss for me.

Best wishes,

Samandag,

I hear you!

Sako's hunting style is mine also and I do understand his weight criteria.

And because the clip is covered by an invasive species management program, comments on it are therefore by definition from people who are ignorance, predudice, diffidence and occasionally derison B :)

But the bright side is, normally he/she can be intelligent and interesting......

Thanks mate.

Jan

Well, good luck Jan for the semi finals. My father Jan, was Dutch (he immigrated here in 1951) so I've always supported the men in orange on the football field.

Well, good luck Jan for the semi finals. My father Jan, was Dutch (he immigrated here in 1951) so I've always supported the men in orange on the football field.

We all hope for the Big Final: Germany - Holland.

You live in a beautyfull country. Very lucky your father decided to emigrate.

Thanks,

Jan

Zeiss HT is really good when facing towards the light and I am not the first to make this observation.

Lee

Thanks, Lee, I appreciate that.

I've been looking mid-market and just for a specific task. Will most likely end up with something that has a polarising coating to the optics, and that's well out of Zeiss' league.

Thanks, Lee, I appreciate that.

I've been looking mid-market and just for a specific task. Will most likely end up with something that has a polarising coating to the optics, and that's well out of Zeiss' league.

Sam

Is there such a beast?

Lee

Wasn't England kicked out in the first round.........8-P

But now you have Van Persie and Van Gaal.

Yes indeed we were and we deserved it :C

In the meantime van Persie and van Gaal will have what we call an 'uphill struggle' as our football team is so bad. Trouble is these two admirable Dutchmen have never seen a hill before so how will they know what to do? :-O

Lee

Yes indeed we were and we deserved it :C

In the meantime van Persie and van Gaal will have what we call an 'uphill struggle' as our football team is so bad. Trouble is these two admirable Dutchmen have never seen a hill before so how will they know what to do? :-O

Lee

Well, Van Persie didn't do so bad so far in England....

The new Zeiss HT 8X54 is the "Best Soccer Viewing Binocular in the World" and if you do not agree you are blind and need to get your eyes tested!

There ..... Back on topic. ;)

Last edited:
The new Zeiss HT 8X54 is the "Best Soccer Viewing Binocular in the World" and if you do not agree you are blind and need to get your eyes tested!

There ..... Back on topic. ;)

Wow, hold your horses....The best soccer bin???

With the sferic aberration the goal looks like a cushion and when the ball hits......., OK lets say the SF and SV are the best soccer bins and let's now get back to topic:-C

Well, Van Persie didn't do so bad so far in England....

You could write what I know about football on the back of a postage stamp and still have room for Brock's last 10 posts :-O

I am going to have to try out these 54s and find out what all the fuss is about.

Lee

You could write what I know about football on the back of a postage stamp and still have room for Brock's last 10 posts :-O

I am going to have to try out these 54s and find out what all the fuss is about.

Lee

Lee:

You seem to think the new Zeiss HT optics are well made in the 42
version, so I think it would be very good to hear about your testing
of the 54. Please be thorough, and I hope you can get a pair to try
for a week or 2. A quick store view will not do.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back