• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopro HD (1 Viewer)

szk71

I'm considering picking up a Meopro 8x42 HD, so would be interested to know where you guys place that Meopro HD in terms of optical quality. Not much info to be found online. Equal to, a step above or below the Minox HG, Conquest, etc.

I have a pair and love them. Very satisfied for the price point (~500). No CA, sharp, and bright. Only knock is extreme glare which was fixed with Field Optics Eye Shields. Not a problem since.

If its on par to a Conquest HD, then it must be an outstanding optic. Almost too good to be true at $500, it being from a known optics manufacturer rather than no name brand, president choice stuff like Vortex, Zenray, etc.

Curious what you think of those 10x32's? I'd love to have the 8x32 version, but have no idea what they compare to. Thanks.

jgraider, posts 6 and 8,
I have publihed a test of the Meopta 8x32HD on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor under the topic "verrekijkers testen en vergelijken". The binocular performs very well in this price range.
Gijs van Ginkel

With regard to 8x42 vs. 8x32 the main things to take into account are usually exit pupil (ease of use), fov (size of image, via afov), and weight. If you wear/don't wear glasses the ER may be critical:-

For me, ER 15 or 16 is usually enough with glasses but have gathered that this depends how much ER is used up by particular eyepiece surrounds so that others have, with certain models, reported problems around this threshold. (At least with Meopta's 12x50 '15' was fine ).

On the other hand, without glasses, sometimes people find that the eyepieces cannot be pulled up far enough!

In those respects, for me with glasses, 8x32 has at first seemed to be most suitable, but I have usually then wanted more magnification. Looking still at 32mm this has had most impact on ER and ease of use, while with 42mm or 50mm the increased weight became an advantage.

Last edited:
jgraider, posts 6 and 8,
I have publihed a test of the Meopta 8x32HD on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor under the topic "verrekijkers testen en vergelijken". The binocular performs very well in this price range.
Gijs van Ginkel

Can't get it translated, but thank you very much for the info.

Curious what you think of those 10x32's? I'd love to have the 8x32 version, but have no idea what they compare to. Thanks.

I like them quite a bit now that I've gotten used to the fast focus. Really fast and very smooth compared to my other binos and it took some getting used to. Now I prefer it fast and my others binos seem sorta slow lol. I even considered sending them back for a day or two and I'm very glad I didn't and gave them some time. Very sharp and nice neutral color. Really decent fov also. They aren't light weight however. Built very solid. I've been using them daily for the last two weeks and I like them more and more.

I like them quite a bit now that I've gotten used to the fast focus. Really fast and very smooth compared to my other binos and it took some getting used to. Now I prefer it fast and my others binos seem sorta slow lol. I even considered sending them back for a day or two and I'm very glad I didn't and gave them some time. Very sharp and nice neutral color. Really decent fov also. They aren't light weight however. Built very solid. I've been using them daily for the last two weeks and I like them more and more.

BC
From your post elsewhere about your Papillio binos I know that you enjoy looking at other subjects not just birds. With their fast focus your Meoptas sound ideal for habitats where you get both nearby butterflies and dragonflies as well as distant birds. You will be able to look at the close stuff and then get onto a distant bird then back again for something else nearby smoothly and quickly. This is how I use my Conquest 8x32s.

And it sounds as though you discovered some magic in that flower with the bee and honestly you can find that magic in almost anything looking through your binos. I find I can see detail better in flowers , mushrooms, lichens, and mosses with binos than the naked eye. Like you said it is like entering a different world, and your fast focusing Meoptas will allow you to enjoy this and be able to quickly focus onto the distant stuff too.

Lee

Well that's true. Yesterday with them I was checking out Bumble Bees. They are coming out of hibernation right now with our warm weather. I look at pretty much everything. Birds are just another interesting thing for me and I usually don't go looking for them.

jgraider, posts 6 and 8,
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs - I translated portions of your test. From what I can tell, the 8/10x42 MeoPro HD should compare quite favorably to the Zeiss Conquest HD; is this an accurate assumption?

I liked the 8x32, but they didn't work with my eyeglasses. I am considering the 8/10x42s for work purposes.

jremmons, post 15,
Yes the 8x42 Meopro certainly compares very well with the Zeiss Conquest 8x42 and that is also the case for the 8x32. An advantage of the Meopro is their lower price compared with the Conquests.
Gijs van Ginkel

I have ordered a pair of 10x42 Meopro HD, they should arrive Monday. I primarily ordered them to assist in waterfowl and shorebird surveys at work, for areas where I cannot easily lug a spotting scope (in my work truck I typically have a scope and a mid-lower power pair of binoculars).

I've also been missing the 10x, as that is what I use to use more often than 8x.

Justin

Optics of the 10x42 Meopro HD seem quite good so far. Very sharp, bright, and with good contrast. Some CA at the periphery of the view, but nothing really bothersome. Colors are neutral leaning towards 'warm'. The Focus Knob has some slack, but I want to play with it more (only used them for about 3ish hrs so far) to see if it works itself out (have had this happen with other binoculars). Ergonomics and eyecups are nice, and I am able to see the full field with my eyeglasses (which has been an issue with some other 10x42 binoculars).

Overall I'm not sure why you'd purchase either the Vortex Razor HD or Zeiss Conquest HD over these binoculars, given their current price. I'd like to get a Meostar HD side by side with the Meopro, but I doubt that will be possible unless I can find a really well priced 8x32 for personal use.

I'll give a more detailed summation of my thoughts in another thread after I get more time behind the glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back