Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Where are all the 8x32 SF reviews? After all the speculation...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Wednesday 21st October 2020, 19:42   #176
Upland
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bozeman, MT
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by eronald View Post
My unnamed binocular from a well known maker relevant to this thread has different color in each barrel -checked by holding inverted. Is this a personal color difference? Just asking.

Edmund
I have noticed the same thing in Every binocular Ive owned and think it is a difference in my eyes and not the glasses. Would seem to make sense as one of my eyes is sharper than the other and color recognition could just as easily be different too.
Upland is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 21st October 2020, 19:57   #177
pm42
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Paris
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upland View Post
I have noticed the same thing in Every binocular Ive owned and think it is a difference in my eyes and not the glasses. Would seem to make sense as one of my eyes is sharper than the other and color recognition could just as easily be different too.
This is easy to check: just look through the same glass with both eyes. I know one of my eyes is brighter for instance.
pm42 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 21st October 2020, 20:41   #178
eronald
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Paris
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm42 View Post
This is easy to check: just look through the same glass with both eyes. I know one of my eyes is brighter for instance.
As I said if I invert the binocular the color casts trade places :)

Edmund
__________________
My sketches http://instagram.com/edmundronald
eronald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:19   #179
range
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 62
A new SF 10X32 view fyi.
http://www.bggd.com/bbs/forum.php?mo...extra=page%3D1
range is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:09   #180
pbjosh
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by range View Post
Another quite positive review. My takeaways from it were:

-Overall as excellent as would be expected
-Very positive about glare rejection
-Similarly to the NLs, given the huge FOV, eye placement is perhaps a touch less forgiving.
-I'm keener than ever to get my hands on a pair of 8x32

Regarding eye placement, as I understand it these large FOV bins (SF 32mm and the NLs) do start to get trickier as the cone of light coming out of the ocular lens is necessarily of a greater angle due to the larger AFOV. When you combine this with the smaller exit pupil, this makes itself more felt. I should think the 8x would be a bit more forgiving than the 10x due to exit pupil size. Similarly, on the NLs, the 8x should be the most forgiving and the 12x the most fidgety, no?

Overall I'm quite keen to check them out. From what I keep reading I think I'll like them well and I doubt the supposed blue ring or the supposed color cast will be terribly noticeable. I most worried about eye relief / eye placement. And I wish the strap lugs were metal but whatever, I also wish the FP strap attachment system didn't exist :)
pbjosh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:17   #181
b_reynolds_ak
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Alaska
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
Another quite positive review. My takeaways from it were:

-Overall as excellent as would be expected
-Very positive about glare rejection
-Similarly to the NLs, given the huge FOV, eye placement is perhaps a touch less forgiving.
-I'm keener than ever to get my hands on a pair of 8x32

Regarding eye placement, as I understand it these large FOV bins (SF 32mm and the NLs) do start to get trickier as the cone of light coming out of the ocular lens is necessarily of a greater angle due to the larger AFOV. When you combine this with the smaller exit pupil, this makes itself more felt. I should think the 8x would be a bit more forgiving than the 10x due to exit pupil size. Similarly, on the NLs, the 8x should be the most forgiving and the 12x the most fidgety, no?

Overall I'm quite keen to check them out. From what I keep reading I think I'll like them well and I doubt the supposed blue ring or the supposed color cast will be terribly noticeable. I most worried about eye relief / eye placement. And I wish the strap lugs were metal but whatever, I also wish the FP strap attachment system didn't exist :)

Ive had both the 10 and 8x32 SFs. The 10s were indeed harder for eye placement. I ended up with the 8s as my keepers as they were easier for me to use and avoid blackouts.
b_reynolds_ak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alula reviews of Zeiss 8x32 FL Swissboy Binoculars 2 Thursday 4th April 2019 15:02
Allbinos - recent reviews of 8x32 models. NDhunter Binoculars 2 Tuesday 8th September 2015 04:18
Pentax Papilio, Zen Rays & Speculation of Admiration Nixterdemus Zen Ray 30 Wednesday 20th April 2011 04:18
'Golden eagle' speculation mounts (BBC News) BF Newsroom Live Bird News from around the World 13 Wednesday 23rd April 2008 07:40
idle speculation Surreybirder Butterflies and Moths 34 Wednesday 28th September 2005 08:30

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.10227299 seconds with 20 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:33.