Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Where are all the 8x32 SF reviews? After all the speculation...

Old Wednesday 21st October 2020, 19:42   #176
Upland

Quote:
Originally Posted by eronald View Post
My unnamed binocular from a well known maker relevant to this thread has different color in each barrel -checked by holding inverted. Is this a personal color difference? Just asking.

Edmund
I have noticed the same thing in Every binocular Ive owned and think it is a difference in my eyes and not the glasses. Would seem to make sense as one of my eyes is sharper than the other and color recognition could just as easily be different too.
Old Wednesday 21st October 2020, 19:57   #177
pm42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upland View Post
I have noticed the same thing in Every binocular Ive owned and think it is a difference in my eyes and not the glasses. Would seem to make sense as one of my eyes is sharper than the other and color recognition could just as easily be different too.
This is easy to check: just look through the same glass with both eyes. I know one of my eyes is brighter for instance.
Old Wednesday 21st October 2020, 20:41   #178
eronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm42 View Post
This is easy to check: just look through the same glass with both eyes. I know one of my eyes is brighter for instance.
As I said if I invert the binocular the color casts trade places :)

Edmund
Old Yesterday, 04:19   #179
range

A new SF 10X32 view fyi.
http://www.bggd.com/bbs/forum.php?mo...extra=page%3D1
Old Yesterday, 14:09   #180
pbjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by range View Post
Another quite positive review. My takeaways from it were:

-Overall as excellent as would be expected
-Very positive about glare rejection
-Similarly to the NLs, given the huge FOV, eye placement is perhaps a touch less forgiving.
-I'm keener than ever to get my hands on a pair of 8x32

Regarding eye placement, as I understand it these large FOV bins (SF 32mm and the NLs) do start to get trickier as the cone of light coming out of the ocular lens is necessarily of a greater angle due to the larger AFOV. When you combine this with the smaller exit pupil, this makes itself more felt. I should think the 8x would be a bit more forgiving than the 10x due to exit pupil size. Similarly, on the NLs, the 8x should be the most forgiving and the 12x the most fidgety, no?

Overall I'm quite keen to check them out. From what I keep reading I think I'll like them well and I doubt the supposed blue ring or the supposed color cast will be terribly noticeable. I most worried about eye relief / eye placement. And I wish the strap lugs were metal but whatever, I also wish the FP strap attachment system didn't exist :)
Old Yesterday, 18:17   #181
b_reynolds_ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
Another quite positive review. My takeaways from it were:

-Overall as excellent as would be expected
-Very positive about glare rejection
-Similarly to the NLs, given the huge FOV, eye placement is perhaps a touch less forgiving.
-I'm keener than ever to get my hands on a pair of 8x32

Regarding eye placement, as I understand it these large FOV bins (SF 32mm and the NLs) do start to get trickier as the cone of light coming out of the ocular lens is necessarily of a greater angle due to the larger AFOV. When you combine this with the smaller exit pupil, this makes itself more felt. I should think the 8x would be a bit more forgiving than the 10x due to exit pupil size. Similarly, on the NLs, the 8x should be the most forgiving and the 12x the most fidgety, no?

Overall I'm quite keen to check them out. From what I keep reading I think I'll like them well and I doubt the supposed blue ring or the supposed color cast will be terribly noticeable. I most worried about eye relief / eye placement. And I wish the strap lugs were metal but whatever, I also wish the FP strap attachment system didn't exist :)

Ive had both the 10 and 8x32 SFs. The 10s were indeed harder for eye placement. I ended up with the 8s as my keepers as they were easier for me to use and avoid blackouts.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: