• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Only 1 baffle (2 Viewers)

Musoman

PETE - Nikon/Sony Shooter
United Kingdom
I've just stripped down my 120 SW ST and the main tube has the same shape baffle that i remember my 80ED had, kind of castellated and not sealed in place, but movable, but there's only baffle, compared to 2 baffles in the main tube of the 80ED

Is this a mistake, and what effect would this missing baffle have on the IQ of photos ?

I also noticed that inside the focuser, there are very small baffles ( 2 of ) clone versions of the main tube baffle, but incredibly small. The limiting diameter of the these tiny baffles is so small that i wonder if they're actually achieving anything

I took both baffles out of my 80ED and did some testing a while ago. I didn't notice any drop in contrast between having no baffles or two baffles. I've only since put one baffle back in, the one nearest the objective. Maybe I didn't see a difference because I have some baffles in my 2" scope adapter.

Paul.

Good point. Strange that - i wonder if anyone else has removed baffles and checked the IQ

The one baffle in my main tube is somewhat half way along, perhaps a tad nearer the Lens Cell than the focuser

i wonder if anyone else has removed baffles and checked the IQ

I did that on the ED80, and also tested the TL 804 with it's original baffles (only one like yours) against the two more it has now.
There's no difference if you shoot with the right angle of light, that is with the sun behind you or close to it, at least I can't see a difference.
But shoot against sunlight and the difference is very noticeable. For that reason I prefer to keep every mm of internal tube in the angle of view of the sensor hidden behind baffles. Not that I'm shooting against the sun very often ;) ...but we never know.

I think the simplest test is to look through the scope from where the image sensor would be. Looking through the objective lens, we should be seeing only the baffles in between and nothing else, especially the internal wall of the scope tube, focuser tube or extension tube.

Any part of the walls seen will give off some glare though little they may be and will affect the photo, though the extend may depend on situation.

It doesnt seem to make a lot of difference Al, this one baffle only. But then again, i never shoot into the sun, or any angles that are close to straight on. I always try to keep the sun behind me. On a few occasions, like the Slavonian Grebe posted earlier, i was at right angles to the sun, and it didnt seem to pose much problem, but i wouldnt want to shoot at an angle smaller than 90 dgrees to the sun

I have no glare, ( or very little glare ) as the entire scope tube, the dew shield, inside the focuser tube, and the extension tubes, have all been black flocked

Last edited:
Yeah, flocking does help a lot. So much better than flat black paint. I only put additional baffles just before and after the 2"-1.25" adapter as that one cause a lot of glare.

The flocking i did, plus I keep the dew shield cap on, but i have widened the hole in the cap to twice the size, as it was just a bit too restricting as it comes as standard.

This has helped a lot with CA, but hasnt eliminated it, as noted on the pheasant

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back