• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Text wrap-around problem; The simple Cure (1 Viewer)

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
One thing all can help with is the bleeding over of text in a number of articles (due to the importing format).
All you need do when seeing a page with text stretching right across and messing up the layout is edit the text (use main edit tab at top of article) so that there are no spaces at the side of the page.
example: (--- are used to denote spaces here)

This large artificial reservoir lies in north-east Slovakia close to the border with Poland and forms an important stop-over point for migrants during passage periods.
---Many species can be seen in these varied habitats including storks, Lesser Spotted Eagle, Spotted Crake, Corn Crake, Red-backed Shrike and Common Rosefinch. However, much of the area is pine forest and frequented by Hazel

The spaces before 'many species' is the culprit. Simply get rid of these spaces and the problem is cured. For the sake of breaking up the text for easier viewing, it's best to have a blank line to separate these paragraphs... so it looks like this

This large artificial reservoir lies in north-east Slovakia close to the border with Poland and forms an important stop-over point for migrants during passage periods.

Many species can be seen in these varied habitats including storks, Lesser Spotted Eagle, Spotted Crake, Corn Crake, Red-backed Shrike and Common Rosefinch. However, much of the area is pine forest and frequented by Hazel

I fixed all location articles up to about the letter 'I' but they also appear in Bird Species.

cheers,
Andy

In the OPUS help there is a page on Help:Formatting. According to this, you are supposed to be able to put things in boxes if inserting the space at the start of a paragraph. Are you saying we should not do that?

thanks
Niels

Pretty much - pre formatted text is used to give examples of 'code' or similar - for example it might be used if someone added a page on getting photos off a digital camera, or so on - we've used it on other pages in the help section to give examples of the codes to use to post images, etc etc.

There are however, other ways to make boxes! What were you thinking of in particular?

Iwas looking at one bird description, where part of the text was in one of these "preformatted boxes". I looked good *except* for the lack of line break. I have since edited the box out based on the initial post here, and I dont remember which one it was

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back