• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Delaware, USA: 5 IDs (1 Viewer)

pics taken today

I believe the first two are pileated woodpecker and canary, just need confirmation. I'm stumped on three. I think 4 is a roadrunner but the pic is so grainy, it was sunset, had to crank up the ISO you know.. I guess 5 is some kind of hen/chicken/rooster thing and I'm stumped on the little brown job.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• unknown1.jpg
    unknown1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 55
  • unknown2.jpg
    unknown2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 64
  • unknown3.jpg
    unknown3.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 58
  • unknown4.gif
    unknown4.gif
    102.9 KB · Views: 65
  • unknown5.jpg
    unknown5.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 57
I have a sense of humor so I'll be the one to say something. I'm not sure if you are a memeber of the "Ruffled feathers" group or the "Exbeeb forum' here on BF but I think a post like this would be much better accepted by the folks who visit those forums.

People might not like that you did this because they may have clicked on your link thinking they were coming to help you out (like I did and was greated by this) and may get a little agitated.

This response was in no way supposed to sound lie a reprimand because I have no right to do so, just a friendly suggestion for the future.

Sincerely,
Matt

I thought it was funny. Have actually heard some debate about the identity woody woodpecker.

Best,
Jim

Agree with 2) and 4)

3) Big Bird ( Avies humungousyellowus? )
5) Red Jungle Fowl (var. Foghorn Leghorn, I say)

Not enough experience to help with 1) I'm afraid.

Nice pics.

5a) One could suspect this to be an immature Jungle Fowl (also of the Rhode Island Red form). Smaller size, unmoulted lesser coverts, sullen disposition etc etc

Note the interaction between the more adult (in plumage terms at least) and the youngster in this clip;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTwnwbG9YLE

However, I had some doubts, for example the forelock did not quite fit, along with recollections of seeing this species pair interacting in high quality warner bros natural history programmes many years ago, and further research on the internet has led me its true identity as an immature Chicken Hawk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henery_Hawk

Hope this helps.

( :t: )

Actually, Woody Woodpecker looked himself up in a bird book in an episode and found himself under Campephilus principalis (Ivory-billed Woodpecker).

I thought it was funny. Have actually heard some debate about the identity woody woodpecker.

Best,
Jim

Oh no I agree totally with you Jim, I like it and think it is funny. I was just letting him know sometimes people get touchy. Other than just a harmless heads up I like it.

Obviously Woody is the Blue morph of the Ivory-billed...having a complete red head and blue body. 8-P

I like Dantheman's suggestions for these ID conundrums although I think that number 3 is the one and only, Yellowish Moa. It really is the one and only because it is the last surviving individual of its species. Curiously enough, although other known moa species were endemic to New Zealand, the origin of this taxon is still unknown. Nevertheless, because of its behavior, vocalizations, and apparent habitat preference of alleyways and playgrounds in Manhattan, Bronx, with possible sightings in Queens and Brooklyn (but not Staten Island), the Yellowish Moa is presently considered to be a New York City endemic. Perhaps even stranger is the tendency for observers to report sighting of a small mammoth accompanying this rare, bipedal, somewhat startling bird. The truth behind this "sad, hairy, dwarf elephant" (as described by one observer) has yet to be brought to light but is supposedly under investigation by the world's top cryptozoologists.

Surely number 1) should be identifiable on call along - he makes it often enough!

Concur that 2) is a previously undiscovered Moa taxon. The fact that it's in the Neartic will certainly cause a lot of headaches for the evolutionary scientists - the whole order is supposed to be exclusively "Gondwanan"! :h?:

Surely number 1) should be identifiable on call along - he makes it often enough!

Concur that 2) is a previously undiscovered Moa taxon. The fact that it's in the Neartic will certainly cause a lot of headaches for evolutionary scientists - the whole order is supposed to be exclusively "Gondwanan"! :h?:

As we're not sure who is subscribed to RF, we're going to move this thread to the
Quiz section which can be found here and where anyone can view.

That Jeff would be Chilly Willy ha...I guess I'm going to have to join in now too.

Attachments

• avenger.jpg
    avenger.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I agree that no.3 is a Moa, Yellowish certainly looks like the most likely candidate.

I think 'Big Bird' is the local name for this species widely used by most under-fives in the region. I guess the latin binomial has probably changed too. Maybe we should post a question in the Bird Taxonomy subforum to verify its current status.....

I agree that no.3 is a Moa, Yellowish certainly looks like the most likely candidate.

I think 'Big Bird' is the local name for this species widely used by most under-fives in the region. I guess the latin binomial has probably changed too. Maybe we should post a question in the Bird Taxonomy subforum to verify its current status.....

Given the large size of the bird, and its origin, I propose Diornis hensonii.

Paper to follow ... when I get the specimen.

Four is definately the Greater Roadrunner, considering the habitat and habits.

Could 3 be the long-extinct 20-Foot Elephantbird? (They actually did exist, look it up.)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back