• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So which broadband do I choose. (1 Viewer)

kim

I am considering broadband - and it is available in my area. Do I go with BT, Onetel or aol? I have all 3 in a way - BT purely for line rental' aol as my ISP and onetel for overseas telephone - oh and carphone warehouse 'talk talk for National!!
Any advice?
Thanks
Kim

kim said:
I am considering broadband - and it is available in my area. Do I go with BT, Onetel or aol? I have all 3 in a way - BT purely for line rental' aol as my ISP and onetel for overseas telephone - oh and carphone warehouse 'talk talk for National!!
Any advice?
Thanks
Kim

Hi Kim. We moved to broadband over 2 years ago, and I'd hate to be back on dial up. I hope someone else will offer some answers to your question!!!

well, any broadband is better than dial-up,depending on what you use it for??
doesnt really make browsing web pages any quicker, but downloading music and games is alot quicker.I did have AOL broadband and for some strange reason it goes via the USA and back again :h?: sooo if you are using your pc for playing games then it is a lot slower than Bt for example, there are some good comparison sites for broadband, but with the prices coming down you cant go wrong really

Stu B :)

I use NTL and have never had any real issues with them, but a neighbour uses Tiscali and they are significantly less expensive; again, no problems.

Hi Kim, i just went on to AOL broadband silver on sat 26-6-04, a few niggles for the first hour, but with the helpful staff at aol freephone i got it all sorted. and yes its worth it.
So my advice would be go for it.
bert.

Well - why? Tiscali are pretty much the same for unlimited. And for many, in reality, there 128kbs service is more than enough at £15-99 per month. NTL have a similar service, too. 128kbs is far faster than a dial-up modem offers. It's not at all a simple multiple - although I'm on 600kbs now, the 128kbs from ntl was around four times as fast as my old 56kbs modem.

bert said:
Hi Kim, i just went on to AOL broadband silver on sat 26-6-04, a few niggles for the first hour, but with the helpful staff at aol freephone i got it all sorted. and yes its worth it.
So my advice would be go for it.
bert.
AOL have always been the priciest option, along with BTOpenworld. But... their helpine is unique: it's free (not the 50+p per minute the others charge). I think, though, that with their new cheaper deals, AOL, too, are charging a premium rate for their cheaper connection services.

The free helpline doesn't matter at all if you are computer savvy and I, myself, would be saving my pennies - but for many folk that assurance of a quickly answered, extremely helpful phone call can be the difference between utter frustration and sheer pleasure.

Last edited:
I would be interested in finding out how anybody has got on with the Wanado service because I could have that and keep my Email address but I am bothered by the 2gig limit and what happens when you reach it.

Mick

Mickymouse said:
I would be interested in finding out how anybody has got on with the Wanado service because I could have that and keep my Email address but I am bothered by the 2gig limit and what happens when you reach it.

Mick

I've got exactly the same concerns Mick. I don't really fancy extra charges. Is it much trouble to change your e-mail adress on Birdforum?

Last edited:
They is an example of how much 2G of web access is on Wanadoo's website. It does seem quite a lot really.

Scampo. Unfortunately (despite living within chucking distance of the local exchange) I can ony get the dearer service from Tiscali.

Mark

Pipex (broadband) are great for three reasons:

1) no monthly download limit.
2) they leave you alone! been with them since oct 2003 and the only contact with them has been 2 emails! Freeserve (now wanadoo) used to phone me up every two weeks.
3) price is not bad.

regards,
lee.

Thanks everybody for the comments. Firstly I do need a helpline because I am an absolute noddy where computers are concerned. Somebody did tell me that it is very hard to change ISP because you can't get rid of the old one!! It keeps popping up!! And how do they install broadband or does it just happen. I keep reading about free modems! See - I told you I was dense!!
Cheers

kim said:
Thanks everybody for the comments. Firstly I do need a helpline because I am an absolute noddy where computers are concerned. Somebody did tell me that it is very hard to change ISP because you can't get rid of the old one!! It keeps popping up!! And how do they install broadband or does it just happen. I keep reading about free modems! See - I told you I was dense!!
Cheers
Kim, AOL number-0800 376 4406. IF you decide to stay with them. your modem is free, they will send you a instlation pack all free, and easy to install, even i did it. It takes about 7-10 days from your phone order, and they check while you are on the phone, if your phone line is ok for broadband. If your still unsure kim give them a ring on that number, and they will explain it all to you.:t:
good luck bert.

kim said:
Cheers
The new AOL Silver looks good at £19-99 with free helpline; or Tiscali 256kbs at only £17-99. I think the modem is free - this plugs into a USB port on the back (usually) of your PC. It also needs plugging into a nearby BT phone socket.

The installation is easy, but I think AOL would be the more user friendly and help is free. You will get a CD-ROM that does it all for you.

To use your existing phones (which can be used even when your online) you need to plug in a special "filter" into each socket before replacing your phone wire. These come with the package - but Tiscali used to only sends one. You can get extras from a DIY store for about £10-00 each.

It's all very straightforward.

Oh, and it's important to make sure of two things:

1) Have good quality anti-virus software on your PC that automatically updates itself. I use McAfee on one machine, and Norton on the others.

2) If you have Windows XP, make sure to activate its included firewall. If you have an older version of Windows, download and install a free firewall from the Internet. The one many people choose is called ZoneAlarm.

Last edited:
I'm on 500+kbs with wanadoo, unlimited access 24/7 for £20 a month, free modem etc. As exsisting customers with Freeserve we were given a special deal. We used to be with BT 24/7 (not broadband) but when they started restricting the time limit we cancelled and went with Freeserve and have never had any hassle with them.

Not to forget that ntl offers 600kbs, of course - but they are currently looking a bit procey at £24-99. I never thought I'd say that about ntl. We've been with them for years and they have always been the cheapest. I hope they bring their prices down a bit soon - or its Tiscali here I come!

John N said:
I've got exactly the same concerns Mick. I don't really fancy extra charges. Is it much trouble to change your e-mail adress on Birdforum?

And that's only one change, it's a pity you can't take your e-mail address with you when you change ISPs like you can with your mobile number.
There is one other point, I am in two minds about the phone still working when you are on line, sometimes I go on line just to shut the phone up, when I am on the forum the last thing I want is a phone call, 1571 is good enough for me.

Mick

Your home phones should always work while you are online if they have a filter in place. I've never heard of these failing, but they just might, I suppose.

If this is a major concern, then ntl is the only option as this uses a separate cable.

Mickymouse said:
There is one other point, I am in two minds about the phone still working when you are on line, sometimes I go on line just to shut the phone up, when I am on the forum the last thing I want is a phone call, 1571 is good enough for me.

Mick
Just don't use the B/Band filter then. This enables your phone to work and if you don't want disturbing don't use filter.

HTH

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back