• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Big Mac vs PC Debate (1 Viewer)

but in 2 years when you chuck £950 quid away the mac will still be going strong. In 4 years most people I know are on their second laptop / pc I'm on my original I-mac which cost a princely £900, money very well spent

I bought an IBook Laptop some years ago (8 or 9 years) and I'm still using it now.
Jackie

I was in an Apple Mac Operator and typesetter for 20 years and have always and will always ONLY use Macs at home. I HATE PC's!!! I'm typing this on my MacBook Pro Laptop. Macs are more logical to use. At work (NHS) we only have PC's and I hate them! Macs are much less prone to viruses than PCs because of Firewall. I could go on and on..... but busy bee right now;)

I've been using imacs the last 8 or 9 years, got one in 2004 and another in 2008. Both still work absolutely fine except for some wi-fi issues with the 2008 model.

I wanted to upgrade to a new imac this summer but the current one is rather outdated spec-wise so (for other reasons too) I decided to buy a laptop instead.............but the Mac laptops are rather expensive so I got a BTO Windows one with an external monitor. For the same specs it is half the price of a Mac.............and that was the most important factor for me.

I'd say Mac OSX is easier to use than Windows 7, in fact I still use my imac for general internet stuff and the laptop is for photo processing and travel. It's defintely possible to use both OS's side by side but for me OSX is the better OS and Macs are built to last longer.......I doubt my Windows laptop will still be going strong in 8 or even 4 years. OSX is easy to learn too. I'm having to learn Windows 7 which is way better than the last time I used Windows regularly (Windows 2000).

One thing though...........Apple as a company seem to be leaning towards concentrating on mobile devices as they make most of their money from iphones and ipads. They haven't updated any of their 3 desktop ranges for a long time.

One thing though...........Apple as a company seem to be leaning towards concentrating on mobile devices as they make most of their money from iphones and ipads. They haven't updated any of their 3 desktop ranges for a long time.

I think you'll find the LED screens and quad core processors across the range are all recent upgrades. the new iMacs and assuming macbook will now go to 8Gb RAM where as the 2009 models would only take 4Gb maximum.
Not forgetting iCloud which is a gem and 2 OS updates.........

I believe a new iMac is imminent, and it has only recently introduced updated Macbook Pros and Airs.

Where are all the happy PC users? Perhaps they are still trying to load the webpage?

The OP specifically asked for input ONLY from people who had changed PC -> mac. I still have not seen a mac which I could figure out the logic of -- so I have not changed and therefore does not qualify as a person to write in this thread.

Niels

I believe a new iMac is imminent, and it has only recently introduced updated Macbook Pros and Airs.

Unfortunately it's been imminent for months and like I said the 3 desktop models have not been updated for ages, the laptops look great it's true but are a bit too expensive for the likes of me.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it's been imminent for months and like I said the 3 desktop models have not been updated for ages, the laptops look great it's true but are a bit too expensive for the likes of me.

MacPro range last updated - 11/6/12
iMac range last updated - 3/5/11
Mac mini range last updated - 20/7/11
(source Macworld)

Given Apple's established practice of roughly annual updates, that would suggest that the iMac and Mac mini are both overdue for a refresh. However with the expected launch of the mini iPad rumoured for 10th October, it's probably unlikely that any desktop announcements would be allowed to get in the way of the new baby tablet's launch so if I was in the market for a new desktop I'd probably wait and see what comes from Cupertino over the next month or two....

MacPro range last updated - 11/6/12
iMac range last updated - 3/5/11
Mac mini range last updated - 20/7/11
(source Macworld)

This gives it in days since last update;

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

"Apple has been expected to release updated iMacs using Intel's latest Ivy Bridge processors at any time, with several reports having suggested that an October launch would be likely"

And well overdue!

Before buying an Apple product it's not a bad idea to visit the Buyer's Guide on MacRumours to get some idea of which ones are due an update soon.

If you click on a product you'll see a page where the left hand panel tells you where in the product cycle the item is, when the current version was released, and how many days have gone by since, as well as what the length of the average cycle is. The rumours in the right hand panel are probably of more interest to those who want to delve deeper into these things.

Andrea

If you are going to buy Apple its also worth looking at their website www.apple.com/uk and in the shop theres a section for refurbished fully warranted units, if you don't want the latest theres money to be saved and normal T&C's apply

I switched to Mac three years and will never go back. Before I switched I joined MacForums (http://www.mac-forums.com) which have a great switchers forum. I followed plenty of advice and have never looked back.

And one thing I took on board was not to run Windows on your Mac - just keep to Mac OS and leave Windows well alone and you'll sail trouble free.

If you are going to buy Apple its also worth looking at their website www.apple.com/uk and in the shop theres a section for refurbished fully warranted units, if you don't want the latest theres money to be saved and normal T&C's apply
Hello Duke,

I am working on a refurbished iMac, almost three years old, with no major problems. I used my savings to get the extended service contract. On the other hand, a refurbished MacBook's hard drive died, just thirteen months, after purchase, but it was covered by the extended service.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Many thanks again to everyone for taking the time to reply. Some fantastic responses :t:

The general consensus seems to be overwhelmingly in favour of Apple from a number of long-term users!

I'm currently considering my options and hope to upgrade to the other side in the near future...

Cheers

Andrew

Depending on your Computer literacy and sense of adventure, you could back-up all the valuable data off your PC, and rebuild it as a linux machine. All free, great for browsing, and with hundreds of apps.
e.g. linux mint, or ubuntu.

I have given my netbook, and 2 windows XP machines a new lease of life by stripping out windows, and installing linux.

CNN yesterday had a story on why the Win8 phones (to be released in a month) is the new big thing. The map problems in the new iPhones is a completely un-cool feature :eek!:

Written by someone without any smartphone, so I look at this from a distance ;)

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back