• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Budget Spotting Scope (1 Viewer)

hppope

Could anyone comment on two scopes I am considering - The Bushnell Bushmaster and the Eagle Optics Raven. The Raven has a 80mm lens as one advantage over the Bushmaster.

Hi hppope,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

I am not familiar with these scopes but I am sure someone will be able to offer an opinion.

hppope said:
Could anyone comment on two scopes I am considering - The Bushnell Bushmaster and the Eagle Optics Raven. The Raven has a 80mm lens as one advantage over the Bushmaster.

Wife and I have a Raven and it's a lot of scope for the money, Quite happy with it and the Eagle Advantage that allows one "no fault" repair or replacement for $20 is a real plus.

Jaeger near Chicago

Hi HP and a warm welcome to you.

I started out with the EO Raven and found it quite good for the money. I don't think you will be disappointed with that choice. One thing though, as I was using it for digiscoping there was some CA looking through the scope and on my photos but just about any imaging software can remove the traces of reds and purples.

hello, welcome to bird forum!

put your request forward in the 'scopes and tripods' section for a quick response.

Jaeger01 said:
Wife and I have a Raven and it's a lot of scope for the money, Quite happy with it and the Eagle Advantage that allows one "no fault" repair or replacement for $20 is a real plus.

Jaeger near Chicago
Thanks, Jaeger - I'm kinda leaning toward the Raven. I bought binnoculars from Eagle and was very pleased with them.

KCFoggin said:
Hi HP and a warm welcome to you.

I started out with the EO Raven and found it quite good for the money. I don't think you will be disappointed with that choice. One thing though, as I was using it for digiscoping there was some CA looking through the scope and on my photos but just about any imaging software can remove the traces of reds and purples.

Thanks for the reply KC. Reviews rate the Raven about equal to the best at around 20 magnification but state that the higher mags are noticably inferior to the really expensive scopes. What is your impression of the scope at the higher magnifications?

salty said:
hello, welcome to bird forum!

put your request forward in the 'scopes and tripods' section for a quick response.

Richie,

I figured that out right after I posted in the hello forum but thought I would wait and see what happened here first. Thanks for the advise, though.

H

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back