• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

anyone not keeping records? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
just thought i'd ask if there are any bf members who lack either the discipline
or enthusiasm to keep records of all the different birds they have seen?

personally I seem to only do it for the benefit of the county recorder,I've kept records for the past four years and hardly ever felt the need to spend a sunday afternoon pouring over lists of first and last migrants or the odd
rarity.

obviously recording is fundamental if we are to learn anything in the field
and has been the main source of gathering and comparing important data
on subjects from breeding populations to declining species and many more.

for me I have to confess that taking and keeping,and the end of month write
up's are the least fun parts of birding,but as long as I feel they are of benefit to someone else I will continue to do so.

incedentally,although my own records are often a somewhat non event
i'm often much more interested in my friends notebook!

would be interesting to hear about other members recording habbits.

matt

matt green said:
just thought i'd ask if there are any bf members who lack either the discipline
or enthusiasm to keep records of all the different birds they have seen?

personally I seem to only do it for the benefit of the county recorder,I've kept records for the past four years and hardly ever felt the need to spend a sunday afternoon pouring over lists of first and last migrants or the odd
rarity.

obviously recording is fundamental if we are to learn anything in the field
and has been the main source of gathering and comparing important data
on subjects from breeding populations to declining species and many more.

for me I have to confess that taking and keeping,and the end of month write
up's are the least fun parts of birding,but as long as I feel they are of benefit to someone else I will continue to do so.

incedentally,although my own records are often a somewhat non event
i'm often much more interested in my friends notebook!

would be interesting to hear about other members recording habbits.

matt

Since moving to Suffolk I have decdided not to bird outisde the county and do not find it necessary to keep accurate records, especially as the sites I visit, such as Minsmere, are better equipped to keep records than I am. I do keep notes of local birds and firsts for me, but not a fully comprehensive list. I am however, meticulously recording butterflies and moths though and this is enough effort for me.

Hi
Years ago in my youth, I kept meticulous notes. Having returned to birding, i only write down what I see on an outing and very little else. I find it tedious, moreso now that I am writing copious notes at work when dealing with the unwell. Perhaps I should try harder.

Kevin

I probably one of those without the sufficient discipline to keep personal records. My interests lie purely with the experience of seeing birds and other wildlife on the day. I see records as useful for the, birding organisations, government statisticians and scientists, but not much use for me. I'll always pass on what I know, share the experience, when it helps, but keeping detailed records, this is something I don't enjoy in work, never mind my spare time. Sorry. |8(|

Have to admit that i don't really.Too much of that in the working environment,birding was a way of getting away from it all.I do send some details to the local recorder each year and do a webs count.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back