• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jeff's birding database (1 Viewer)

Jeff,
If I recall a few months ago you had mentioned working on the North American version. Any updates to that? Sounds like you have a great tool here.

Jeff,
If I recall a few months ago you had mentioned working on the North American version. Any updates to that? Sounds like you have a great tool here.

Lisa, sorry did i say that, must be getting old, i'm nearly 80 you know ;)

I did an AOU version back in 2004, should work with Access 2002 onwards.

Download the UK version, then download the following backend and extract the contents of the zip file (jbddata.mde) into c:\jbd3 directory. I think the AOU version has c.2000 birds on it.

http://www.brandonbirding.co.uk/download/2002jbddataAOU.zip

Not sure if this is relevant ,but I have downloaded Jeffs' v 4.0 the other day and all my latest entries have been included,no problems.

Not sure if this is relevant ,but I have downloaded Jeffs' v 4.0 the other day and all my latest entries have been included,no problems.

As i said above, v.4 wasn't really v.4 it was v.3.2 with a bit missing so will work almost as before.

Jeff,
Much appreciated. I am in Texas now, will download as soon as I get back to AZ.
Lisa

Jeff, downloaded both JBD v3.2 and the US zip file. Both are residing in the jbd3 directory. However, once I am in Access and try to open any of the bddata.mde tables I get an error saying: 'c:\jbd\jbddata.mde' is not a valid path. It is looking for a directory called jbd instead of jbd3. can I change the directory name without causing problems with the rest of the program?
Thanks,
Lisa

Last edited:
Data is stored in the jbddata.mde database, to run the database you need to run c:\jbd3\jbd.mde the frontend database, or click on the desktop shortcut.

The tables you are clicking on are only linked tables for anyone wanting to upgrade from v.2, you haven't got v.2 so get an error.

Cheers

Jeff

Sorry, takin me longer than planned, mainly due to problems with my pcs and working on an older version of the database, oops. I'll need to get a little more organised.

I get mixed results, but that could be due to the many version of MS Access running on the same pc.

Access 2002-2007 version (this is a Beta version! Just add test data to the database.)

http://www.brandonbirding.co.uk/download/jbd4.0.zip

Anyone fancy testing what i've done so far, please let me know what's still not working correctly. Did the import work correctly?

Still got bits to do before i load it onto the web site for real.

It should install to c:\jbd4

N.B. WP list is not imported in the version, only your original data.

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks Bob for letting me know it didn't work on Access 2002 (XP) and for the entertaining evening ;o)

Using the database you sent me i have altered a couple of bits from the last version i sent out, could really do with someone trying it out and letting me know what happens to their old data.

This should work on Access 2002 - 2007 this time.

http://www.brandonbirding.co.uk/download/jbd4.0.zip

You'll need to extract the contents to c:\jbd4 and run c:\jbd4\jbd.mde

Don't do anything with your old database in c:\jbd3 this will continue to run as before, just use the version 4 database for TESTING only.

Hi Jeff, running Access 2002 (XP) and whilst I can get V4 to run, it opens with a blank screen, when I go to the input screen there is the normal form but the drop-down menus are empty. I've attached screenshots of this.

Attachments

• v4 opening screen.doc
    55.5 KB · Views: 93
  • V4 input screen.doc
    69.5 KB · Views: 80
Hi Jeff, running Access 2002 (XP) and whilst I can get V4 to run, it opens with a blank screen, when I go to the input screen there is the normal form but the drop-down menus are empty. I've attached screenshots of this.

Keith,

When you first ran c:\jbd4\jbd.mde were you asked if you want to import from v3.2? If so did you answer 'yes'?

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff....question one, yes I was asked and I said no...was this the wrong answer?
question two the zip file extracted to c:\jbd4.

Hi Jeff....question one, yes I was asked and I said no...was this the wrong answer?
question two the zip file extracted to c:\jbd4.

Keith, yep 'no' was the wrong answer. I was hoping to test importing from previous databases, if you don't do this at present you get an empty database :)

If i know the import is working correctly i'll move onto populating the database tables for those not wishing to import from the previous version.

The c:\jbd3 will continue to work as before even with v.4 of the database on your machine, continue to update that one, only use v4 for testing for errors.

PS. You only get the one chance to upgrade so you'll need to install v.4 again to get the upgrade prompt.

Cheers

Jeff

Right Jeff.
Got V4 running, it has imported all my data successfully. Ran yearlist reports etc no bother.
With the BTO codes, you don't seem to be able to use them to input the species?
Tried creating a record for blackbird ..code B.. input B in the species box and it returns a B, rather than blackbird. I was hoping that the codes could be used to cut down on typing the species names.
I like having the codes on the details page though

Right Jeff.
Got V4 running, it has imported all my data successfully. Ran yearlist reports etc no bother.
With the BTO codes, you don't seem to be able to use them to input the species?
Tried creating a record for blackbird ..code B.. input B in the species box and it returns a B, rather than blackbird. I was hoping that the codes could be used to cut down on typing the species names.
I like having the codes on the details page though

I'll try it on Access 2002, it works for me on Access 2007 though.

*Boots up old laptop.......... *

Tried it on Access 2002, it's working for me on that as well.

Are we on the same page? I'm using 'Input and Search form' to add new sightings, is this where you wanted to use the codes?

Or do you mean you want it to also appear in the species 'search' dropdown list, so you can search for all sightings of blackbird by using b.

Cheers

Jeff

Using the Input and search form. Tried creating a record for blackbird by typing just B into the species box but it brought up just the letter B.
What I was hoping for was being able to input just the BTO code and it to then return the correct species name.
Would this be possible?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back