• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ravens? (1 Viewer)

David FG

The Big Dipper
My question, basically, is are Ravens to be found in Oxfordshire?

The background is that my wife was paying one of her regular visits to Oxfordshire (a rural location a few miles from Banbury) and she saw a bird she thinks must have been a Raven. Though not an expert birder she does know a Carrion Crow, a Rook and a Buzzard when she sees one, as she is very familiar with these species. She says the bird was like a very big Carrion Crow, uniformly black, with a 'humped', very large bill. It was perched on a fence post about 50-60 feet away and was about the size of a Buzzard but more 'massive'.

She has never seen one in the area before, despite having lived there in the past for many years, and being a regular visitor still.

I can't think of anything it could have been other than a Raven, but are they known in Oxfordshire?

There is, of course, the possibility that it was an escape.

Afternoon David, yep they are here and breeding. There has been a pair on one of my regular patches just south of Oxford for a couple of years now, and this spring I managed by chance to find there nesting site. They have also been seen at the Otmoor reserve which is not too far from Banbury.

Afternoon David, yep they are here and breeding. There has been a pair on one of my regular patches just south of Oxford for a couple of years now, and this spring I managed by chance to find there nesting site. They have also been seen at the Otmoor reserve which is not too far from Banbury.

Thanks for that.

Seems like she could well have been right then.

That Ravens are spreading is some good news in a world not over-full of it...

Quite widespread on Oxfordshire now. In north Oxfordshire I have seen birds around Deddington, the Balscote/Shutford area and they have also been regularly seen around Hook Norton.

So there is every chance.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back