• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch 3 issue? (1 Viewer)

GBNova

Hi all.

I was adjusting my objective cover with my hand around the objective lens end of the binoc while holding the same side of the binoc back by the focus ring while applying some pressure in order to take the cover off and to my surprise discovered there is actually considerable flex within the barrel of the binoc. Both sides actually do it. To the point that if u flex them out of alignment you can create a double image while looking through the binoculars.

Is this normal? I expected the construction to be a solid piece throughout the barrel. It would seem to make them vulnerable to misalignment although they seem to go back in line more or less by default.

I’ll check.

I had a M5 in my hand today and it’s rock solid like I would expect. I looked in the barrel of each from the objective lens and they’re definitely constructed differently. The M3 appears to be a more “modular” design which might explain why you can disjoint the barrel some when you apply pressure. I’m not talking much pressure either. Just happened by accident when I was trying to twist the cap tether off the body of the binoculars. Just seems odd for a binocular to do that.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back