• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2006 Highlights (1 Viewer)

Well, 2006 has had it's good moments...including eight new ticks :t: but I've been working far too much which has curtailed my birding activities somewhat and I haven't been able to get out into the field as much as I woud have liked.
BUT I'm revving myself up for 2007.......the notebook is ready, the pencils are a-sharpened LOL I've actually got the day off work on 1st January so planning to get myself up to Hulne Park at first light and have a few hours there.

I've also had a pleasant few hours browsing through my copy of 'Where To Watch birds In North-east England' and working out my campaign. Those annoying gaps in my Life List are going to be filled........or I'll die trying!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

My 2006 Highlights...

-January 1st: I was still in my first 6th months of real birding, and got 14 lifers on the Old Saybrook, CT Christmas Bird Count.
-Mid-February: Trip to Florida... didn't know much still and didn't see that much either, but got to start learning by birding on my own (10 lifers).
-Mid-Late March: Trip to Turks & Caicos - Super excited, got to pour over a new book (Raffaele et al's Birds of the West Indies) and experience very different habitat (12 lifers).
-May: Had two Big Days with two local big time birders, started to learn songs of warblers and thrushes...
-June: Choir trip to Italy and Austria that yielded 33ish species (not too bad considering we were basically in cities the whole time).
-July: SE ARIZONA. 187 SPECIES. NO FURTHER EXPLANATION NEEDED.
-August: Some exploration in Maine - first pelagic (though it was bad).
-Aug-Sept: First month at uni - New habitat yielded Least Bittern!
-December: 4 Christmas Bird Counts. Tomorrow = VT.

Good. Year.

Oi! You're supposed to post this thread at 00:00 hours tonight!
Never mind.
2006 highlights. Too many to mention, but around 30 lifers I think. Finished on 182, my first year of listing. Had 7 lifers between Boxing Day and yesterday, not a bad finish.
The target is 190 next year, with 200 on my British list, and 305 on my lifelist.
Here's to a great year, with stacks of Murrelets ;)
Jyothi

The Firecrest said:
Oi! You're supposed to post this thread at 00:00 hours tonight!

Somehow I doubt overworkedirish will be on birdforum to welcome in the new year. Most, I will imagine, will be partying/down the pub/watching TV etc. ;)

Good look for 2007, The Firecrest - hope you beat all your targets. In fact, good look to all those for the coming year, and may it be far better than this one....

I'll be on BF at 00:00 tommorow/tonight. New Years party at a friends place isn't till tommorow evening, so no birding for me on the 2nd! ;)
Don't see what's been wrong with this year, we've had 3 firsts, the Murrelet, Olive-tree Warbler, Black-eared Kite plus some other stuff.
At least it hasn't all been on Fair Isle!
Anyways,
Little Britain is back, that's all that matters!
Cheers,
Jyothi
PS please don't call me The Firecrest, just make it Firecrest.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back