• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x42 v 12x42 mk3 (1 Viewer)

mickbe74

Hi all,has anybody got any experience,or thoughts on monarch mark 3's 12x42 versus the 10x42's for general birding,many thanks for any input
Mick

Mick,

I've not tried the Monarch 12x42 but I know, like many here, that I couldn't hold a small light 12x steady and would still have some difficulties with a 10x. I found the chromatic aberration fairly high on the lower powers and would expect it to be worse at 12x.

I do use a 12x occasionally for lakes and shores but it's twice the weight of the Monarchs and has fewer bad habits. I personally think the 8x42 is the choice of the range MkIII range. Perhaps you could tell us a little more about how, where and when you use your binos and we might be able to suggest some alternatives for your budget.

David

Hi David,i just use the bins for general birding,i have been using a pair of RSPB 10x42's at the moment and have no bother with them,my budget is about 250-300 pounds
Cheers Mick

I wouldn't suggest 12x for general birding; in addition to the increased image shake, you will start getting into a really narrow field of view.

But if you are comfortable with 10x42 then you can stick with that. For 300 pounds you can get something a lot better then a Nikon Monarch. Since you're in the UK check out the Opticron Countryman BGA HD, or some of the ED glass from Hawke. That should be a nice starting point.

Mick,

Eitan's come up with the two that I'd have suggested. The Hawke Frontier ED is a little bigger and heavier than some but with ED glass, a fairly wide flattish view it's a very popular choice. I like the Countryman HD. A little more expensive, Japanese made with fewer bells and whistles. Very much a matter of personal preference, so something to try for yourself.

Sherwoods have a good list of ex-demo Opticrons at the moment. That DBA Oasis 10x42 at £330 looks very attractive, the Imagic BGA SE 10x42 is well within budget, and personally I'd give the Countryman HD 8x42 a look. They are not too far from Birmingham. Might be worth an outing?
http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/ex_demo/ex_demo_optics.htm

David

Mick,

If you check in the review section Leif has a review of the Frontier ED. You might like to look at my report on the Eden XP 10x42 and a couple of others on the 8x42. At £245 it's a little cheaper than the Hawke and Opticron.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back