• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kites (1 Viewer)

headington7

Just to let you know that yesterday the West Wycombe/Stokenchurch area,just off the M40 near High Wycombe was awash with Red Kites,I saw 15 just driving through the small villages.What a wing-span !!! I was very impressed.People tell me they have been spotted as far away as the M25.I do realise there has been a colony there for some while.There was even a sign pointing to a :scribe: "nest watch".
Mervyn.

Mervyn, the "colony" was a reintroduction project that took place from '89 to '93. As of last year, there were 201 breeding pairs.

M25 isn't that far for them, they are now spotted over Watford, Maidenhead, Reading, Hook (outside Basingstoke) amongst other places.

The "Nest Watch" sign you spotted was just that. Although it is starting to wind down now. See my ongoing thread about it in the Birds of Prey forum.

Regards

well done on your sighting.

they are magnificent birds, when you see them soaring overhead, even non-birders stop to watch.

helen - 201 breeding pairs! - thats really good news.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back